Grumpy old man resents ID cards. Anyone else feel the same?

1 to 20 of 256 messages
Dustboy    pirate
23/11/2004 at 14:25
Apparently, it will be something to do with introduction as part of your passport?
23/11/2004 at 14:26
couldn't give a monkeys, got nothing to hide!
23/11/2004 at 14:27
unless you have something to hide, I don't see the problem, need id everywhere these days anyway.
23/11/2004 at 14:28
Yep, don't care either.
cougie    pirate
Nobody gets uppity about needing passports to leave the country, or driving licenses.

Can't see the fuss.
Yup. I'm against them, I'm against paying for em... Although I've not done anything wrong, don't plan on doing anything wrong, I still think the idea sucks.
23/11/2004 at 14:32
Not against them per se, but I already have:

Passport
Driving Licence
NI number card
Health Registration Card
E111
Vehicle Reg Document with my name address
Blood Donor Card with my blood type
Numerous Credit & Debit Cards
Various insurance policies/documents

so I think I have a fair idea of who I am.

Now, if they could come up with a smart card that could do *all* of these, I'd be prepared to pay for that. It's a pain in the @rse having to carry/find all these different cards/documents.
23/11/2004 at 14:33

Theres something about the principal of it that I dont like.
23/11/2004 at 14:34
not sure if I want to have to carry an ID card when out running, but see no problems with having them, just need to link driving licenses and NI numbers to passports and you have all the info you need.
23/11/2004 at 14:35
The fact that there will be a database to record eerything about me scares me. AND during the test run a few months ago, I had my iris scanned and guess what? It matched someone elses. This IS a concern, imagine if the other person was a murderer? I'd be in trouble!
Dustboy    pirate
23/11/2004 at 14:40
Glad I'm not alone. That Iris bit is scary! In addition, my iris is very valuable to me, I'm not sure I like the idea of someone mucking with it in any way.
23/11/2004 at 14:40
Having one card that unified all govt details on you would be a big brother nightmare.
23/11/2004 at 14:41
I'm not a criminal and I refuse to let the state, which is meant to be the servant, not master, of the people, treat me like one.
23/11/2004 at 14:45
Many other countries, such as Spain already have ID cards with no problems. Although as Nessie says, we already have several ID's already....in principle, it would be good if they could all be linked under one ID or number.

Think many people object because of the civil liberties angle...
23/11/2004 at 14:46
But yes, the state should serve the people, not the other way round....
cougie    pirate
23/11/2004 at 14:47
Spooky Iris thing Minkey. They use that at Schipol airport for immiration control I think. Best avoid for a while eh ?

Still don't get it. The State can have all these things anyway can't they ?
Wouldn't it be better if we all had chips imserted behing our ears? Like they do with dogs.
Waste of money if you ask me. They'd be better using the money to crack down on crime properly rather than pussying around with silly little I.D cards.
Duck Girl    pirate
23/11/2004 at 14:51
I don't want the govt to be able to track me like that. i already refuse to use 'loyalty' cards for shopping.
i've been in a few brushes with the law for activities related to non-violent demonstrations outside military sites (i'm a Quaker pacifist) & must by now have been on CCTV quite a lot for subverting billboards (eg. writing feminist messages on advertisments attempting to sell a restricted ideal of beauty) etc. Technically these are all illegal acts & i'm well aware of this & have never attempted to avoid responsibility for them. I accept that i live in society, even if i don't agree with what it does. So far I've not been properly charged with anything (though it's a lot easier to arrest a nice girl praying quietly in the middle of the road outside a base than it is to arrest a stroppy Womble with fence-cutters, they've always let me go soon as well). I also work with children, including children with disabilities, & with 'vulnerable' adults in a hospital. I'm wondering how long it will be before evidence of my being an 'undesirable' blocks my doing formal care work.
23/11/2004 at 14:53
Think your post about being a card carrying veggie is what will get you Duck !!!!
1 to 20 of 256 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.