Gym shut over Christmas...what to do?

How do I train as hard outdoors?

1 to 20 of 29 messages
17/12/2007 at 21:32

Hello,

I run 35km a week on the treadmill. I used to run outdoors but tried the gym after getting tired of stopping to cross roads, bad weather, and of course, it being dark when I get in from work and me being a young female.

Now, I realise I'm letting slip that  I'm rather fanatical about running but the gym is shut quite a bit over the Christmas period, more than my 2 rest days!!! I'm quite happy to run outdoors but how (without buying expensive new equipment) can I make sure my run is the same intensity and length? I find I work harder on the treadmill cos I keep the spped constant and set the incline to a steady 3.0 - 2.5

Any advice from anyone much appreciated!

Smo
17/12/2007 at 21:34
eat drink and be merry
M...eldy    pirate
17/12/2007 at 21:34
get yerself outside in the fresh air !
17/12/2007 at 21:43
Gemma, just get out there and run.  No such thing as bad weather, just bad kit.
cougie    pirate
17/12/2007 at 22:20
doesnt pay to get too obsessive about a routine - use the holidays to enjoy the daylight - plenty of space to run in and just have fun with your exercise.
even if you skip the gym for the hols - it really wont harm you. And probably do you good.
Duck Girl    pirate
18/12/2007 at 00:53
If you are off work, enjoy the daylight, don't bother about time & distance, & just get out in the fresh air - it is much more fun than being a hamster.
18/12/2007 at 06:50
I'm not quite in the same boat as you but my gym is closed most of the time over xmas so i'll just be out on the bike or running during thedaytime. 
The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/12/2007 at 07:20

get outside and enjoy the freedom and fresh air

go  to http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and work out a route and just have fun

you never know you may realise that runing outside is sooo much better!

18/12/2007 at 08:10

What the others say - get out in the fresh air.

I understand your anxieties, what with being a young female. But over the holiday period and esp on Crimbo and Boxing days you'll find that everyone else in indoors either eating and drinking themselves silly or traipsing round the sales ... so you should find outdoor running a less hassled experience.

More generally, another good time to run outdoors is any evening when the England footie squad are playing an important match. Last time they were against Argentina the streets were so deserted I thought WW3 had broken out ...

18/12/2007 at 08:15

I've never run in a gym but can't imagine getting up any excitement over running indoors?   Get out!   Yes it's cold and horrible.....dark....run near street lights. The fear factor ..............adds to the fun. My best runs have been in the dark through the woods

18/12/2007 at 11:19
You need to get out and run.  You must be one of the few people who prefer to run indoors.  I have my own treadmill but boy is it boring, especially if its a long run to do.  Enjoy.
18/12/2007 at 11:47

Find a friend or two to run with.

18/12/2007 at 11:50

"No such thing as bad weather, just bad kit." - I really like that Sezz

18/12/2007 at 21:15

Thanks! Sound advice and I agree, running outdoors is so much more fun. But  the gym does fit much better into the end of my day and I can't say I live in a very scenic place! In support of gyms, I do get to watch the BBC news whilst doing my speed work! I realise I look like a hamster but it's not that boring! And I don't have to dodge people, wait at traffic lights.... I'm not going to convert  a majority though am I!!!

Bad weather/ bad kit? So far, haven't found any headwear that keeps the rain off my glasses  Not fun!

Merry Christmas! 

Gemma

cougie    pirate
18/12/2007 at 22:32
baseball cap ? Maybe you could hook up with another gym evictee and run together ? There must be a park or somewhere you can run easily ?
19/12/2007 at 09:14

Get some perspective, hun- do you have to do 35km per week?

It's only a few days, run outside during the daylight if you want some fresh air and...

dare i say it, give your body a little rest time 

19/12/2007 at 09:29
I like running in the gym too - and that's where I do most of my running. I don't know why people are so hostile to gyms. My advice is to avoid running on pavements if you are used to the treadmill. They do my knees in in no time - I speak from recent (bad) experience.
19/12/2007 at 09:40

It's personal preference yes.

They have their place for conditioning and rehab but I still don't like them.

All I see is poor form and injuries waiting to happen or, after Christmas, unconditioned people trying to kill themselves on treadmills.

Treadmill running is easier than outside but infinately more boring.

cougie    pirate
19/12/2007 at 10:10
Gyms do have their place, especially for people new to running. But from my experience - once you have run outside - most people prefer that.

Its not good to be reliant on something though - its very unhealthy to get obsessesive.

And you cant just say that pavements wreck knees - lots of runners are fine with many miles of pavement running. Sure its not as cushioned as the treadmill, but maybe you've spent too long on there. Its an artificial environment. It would be like Lewis Hamilton training on his PS3 and then complaining that it hurts when he crashes his car for real in races. Kinda.
PloddingOn    pirate
19/12/2007 at 10:20
I agree - I can't stand being in a gym!  It's like a pretend world for people.  I would rather be out running or playing a sport or bouncing around a field or dojo.  Much more socialable and I think it releases more happy endorphins being outdoors
1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.