Half Marathon Prection Time

14 messages
10/09/2013 at 21:13

Welcome back Samir. Is that your longest training run? If so, my first tip would be to get a few longer (but slower) runs in before the big day. My second tip would be to start the race at a more conservative pace and not run as fast as you can (as in your 8 mile run). My third tip is one that I always give to people before their first race, which is to bring some spare toilet roll in case you need to go before the race and the portaloos have run out. Hope that helps.

10/09/2013 at 21:17

Samir, based on the information you gave above I'd not know, is 8 miles the furthest you have ever run? was that at your fastest pace? what training do you do for the Half? weekly mileages/sessions etc?

Lots of Q's sorry but to get a better answer to your Q I think the more knowledgeable on here would neen some more info.

Short answer is yes, probably, provided you have done sufficient training.

cougie    pirate
10/09/2013 at 21:17
IF your time and distance is right then I'd say sub 1.25 for a half.

You'd be better off running a race before to get a good estimate - self measured runs have a history for being inaccurate.

Parkrun at 5k would give you an idea without knackering you.
Pudge    pirate
10/09/2013 at 21:18
literatin wrote (see)

Welcome back Samir. Is that your longest training run? If so, my first tip would be to get a few longer (but slower) runs in before the big day. My second tip would be to start the race at a more conservative pace and not run as fast as you can (as in your 8 mile run). My third tip is one that I always give to people before their first race, which is to bring some spare toilet roll in case you need to go before the race and the portaloos have run out. Hope that helps.

I am always amazed at the number of men queuing to use 'trap 2'  before a race.  Is needing to poop before the gun goes off really that common?

10/09/2013 at 21:23

Pudge - no, it isn't. They just do it to piss the ladies off by making them wait longer for their pre-race wee.

10/09/2013 at 21:24

Samir - of course I am serious about the toilet paper. You don't want to be caught short. Better to be over-prepared.

10/09/2013 at 21:30

I race buses sometimes too. Strangely satisfying.

Are you still playing football too, Samir?

10/09/2013 at 21:30

lol Samir, so, as others have mentioned then yes, 1:30 should be achievable provided you have done sufficient training for it.

I did my first Half last month as part of marathon training and whilst much slower than you ran 90 secs mile faster than in training.

11/09/2013 at 11:33
Samir Haddad 2 wrote (see)

I am no where near the runner I want to be ".

same as most of us then , goodluck with the 90 mins and dont start out too fast , pace yourself and it someone passes you are its above the pace you need let them go as  chances are you will be seeing them later in the race again.

11/09/2013 at 20:30

remembering you from previous threads, 1hr 42

11/09/2013 at 21:08

What date is the race ?

16/09/2013 at 22:09

That's the attitude, Samir. You show him! 

17/09/2013 at 00:33

Under 7 minute miles all that way , sounds like you are there already.

17/09/2013 at 06:53

Best of luck young son

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.