Half marathons and running buggies

4 messages
16/08/2012 at 10:35

Hi - am looking to do a spring half marathon in London/SE somewhere and would ideally like to take part with the baby in a running buggy. 

I know I can parkrun with the buggy, but does anyone know of any 10 milers/half marathons which permit you to do so? I tried Paddock Wood HM who said no (I guess its too crowded and they say their insurance doesnt cover it) - am looking to get back into it post baby and would like to get something in the diary! thank you

Edited: 16/08/2012 at 10:37
Imeccentric    pirate
28/01/2013 at 10:36

Did you find any , my partner and I have the same issue now?

28/01/2013 at 12:11
Hi - the people at nice work were really helpful when i called and said they had details for each of their individual events as to whether a buggy would be permitted and that they would contact anyone they needed to confirm if they didn't know. They thought some of their events do so I would try them first (as all the ones I asked like paddock wood, Brentwood etc said no).

http://www.nice-work.org.uk/

Parkrun incidentally is brilliant with a buggy - why more events can't be like that I don't know. Pre baby we took part in a number of events in California and its common practice to take part with a buggy.

I appreciate that it would be annoying to have buggies in the thick of the pack, but I was perfectly happy to start at the back, not get a time or anything, just wanted to make it a family day out!

Anyway, happy running and any questions, do ask!
28/01/2013 at 12:23

I've run over 500 races pushing a disabled man ( my son ) in his wheelchair,

ok, before i started running with him, i was a highly expereinced marathon runner- but i've had, and still have loads of hurdles to overcome getting into races

i ve always sent our or my CV to race directors, - making it clear what ive done and in what time, making it clear i have little intention of getting stuck in the thick of thousands of runners -  though its not that difficult

we run mostly at the back, using extreme caution, and work our way through, when gaps safely appear - or go from front, a few minutes ahead, then as the stretched out pack passes - they do so with safety

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.