Has your training/racing ever caused tension or friction in your household?

21 to 31 of 31 messages
02/02/2013 at 11:19
When I started running about 8 years ago my children were very young and my partner was quite a heavy drinker and worked in an industry where lunchtime and after works drinks were the norm. It was an enormous strain having him come home most nights unable to conduct a grown up conversation or make a responsible contribution to childcare.

8 years on he has changed career and we are both virtually teetotal,I am marathon training and he goes to the gym every week and even runs a little. I don't understand women (seems to be mostly women?) who resent their partner running - isn't it preferable to slowly eating/drinking/smoking themselves to death - and I'm at an age where I am actually seeing that happen. I want our running and exercise to be the norm in our family and above all hope that we are good role models for our daughters.
02/02/2013 at 13:18
Grendel3 wrote (see)

My son is 9, He was just short of 8 when I restarted - I think my wife is jealous (actually I know she is) that I have been able to shift the weight I had put on over the past few years and she hasn't been able to - she has a half hearted attempt to lose weight but doesn't stick at it - I would support her in whatever she wants to do - I do go swimming once a week with them but don't really enjoy it - but is is family time

I made an effort to change my diet etc, cut back on calories etc - and run - to be honest doctors orders (and that was the motivation) was the excuse I wanted to get back out - I will never return to the heights of the late 80s and 90s but I just enjoy it - taking part in the odd race etc - is motivation enough.

Still it would be a boring world if we were all the same, but would just like a little bit of support (even someone there to watch me finish would be nice!!!)

Well maybe when your son is a bit older he'll come along and support you - perhaps he'll even want to join in!

02/02/2013 at 21:00

Take your son to a local parkrun if you've got one nearby!

02/02/2013 at 21:14

We don't have a local parkrun sadly, but as he gets older it will get easier - my wife has never been an early riser so it will be easier to go off on a sunday and race somewhere local - also will perhaps be able to oin local club too (all though at heart I will always be a Barking Road Runner (club not mad!!) happy days and I am glad it is not just me as others do seem to have envountered problems too. Thanks for the words of encouragement and for listening!!!

03/02/2013 at 06:41

Suzi Godson wrote yesterday;

"It is terribly dangerous to allow yourself to be so physically and emotionally invested in anyone that their ups and downs determine how good or bad you feel about yourself."

This could explain all sorts of things.

03/02/2013 at 16:22
Hi Grendel ,I understand your feelings.Started to run three years ago to lose weight,I lost pounds I'm fit and I fill in general better than I was.tried to involve my husband with the running .he comes some time bu he is not motivated at allGot two kids 13 and 10 they sometimes come with me and seem to enjoy the experience.i work 30 h per week ,job quite demanding and I run three five times a week.Husband does not understand but this is not stopping me from enjoy my running time.take care Conny
03/02/2013 at 21:16

thanks Conny - thats the bottom line for me I love running.

04/02/2013 at 06:08

As I run late in the evenings it sometimes results in 11pm showers, not good in a small family houe when everyone else has to get up at 6am

05/02/2013 at 01:19
I got my fiance into running. We have been together 6 years, and always ran together until this year. The only downsides I found with it was that I was always holding back a bit to go at her pace, and she never wanted to do interval type stuff.... but that's a small price to pay to have a mutual past time you can share, and I did not miss out, as I have never been interested in racing.

Last year she had a bad accident skiing and after a week in hospital, she has titanium holding the tendons in her knee together. Now she goes to the gym and physio sessions instead. She does love running but the knee is not up to much, so she does a 45m jog in the park once a week, I go with her and do some intervals.
05/02/2013 at 12:10

My wife is very supportive, she has seen the benefits first hand - I've lost about 3.5 stones due to running.  Although I do wish I could find a way of persuading her to run or go to the gym too.  I always end up annoying her whenever I mention excercise regardless of how tactufully I approach it.

05/02/2013 at 19:34
My missus thinks I'm mad sometimes, like when she saw the hill profile of my first marathon in June. She doesn't have a problem with me running, but I foresee problems when I enter races in future. I don't drive, so she has to put all the miles in the car getting me there.

I've lost weight through the training, about 2 stone so far, which she's proud of.I know she's happy that I've taken on some serious exercise but keeping my eight year old entertained whilst I run a marathon might be entertaining for her.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.