Have you discovered running later in life but still managed to become speedy?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
11/03/2013 at 08:50

I'd done a couple of (slow) Marathons but didn't race my first half until 2004 at Silverstone when aged 54 I ran 1:58. A week yesterday I ran the Bath Half in 1:36:41. I think having come to running relatively late in life has meant there's been a lot of room for improvement so there's definite hope there for anyone new to running.

Edited: 11/03/2013 at 08:51
11/03/2013 at 08:58

i had 20 years away from running until 18months ago when i got fed up of saying i used be a decent runner as a kid and there was one too many replies of "sure you were" and "werent we all" so i joined a running club aged 38 and they trained me up.  I hit a 15.57 in my first raced 5k and have a 32.59 10k. 

in fairness i played hockey for 15years so i still had some fitness but had been retired 5yrs before returning to running and had balloned upto 14st so i was far from ideal.  i agree with AlsoRan that im hoping although im old, my race legs are relatively "young" so hopefully any speed can hang around a year or two. 

i think there is something in the training we do...some will just try to get fit and run lots of long miles, i had it drummed into me in the club to do sessions like 20*200m too.  Im sure that has helped

there is also a lady where i work who wasnt particularly sporty and decided to run a marathon in her 40's, she was suprisingly good and after 2 yrs ran a sub 3hr.

Edited: 11/03/2013 at 09:00
11/03/2013 at 09:35

Very inspirational, thanks

Its amazing what our bodies are capable of even when we are past our 'peak'.

I can relate to pp, I wasnt sporty at school and I wish i had been.  I think a combination of being a bit lazy and cr*ppy pe teachers who only encouraged the ones that were already 'winners' were to blame.  I finished 9th female at my park run this week, ive knocked 3 mins off my time since i first ran it 2 years ago.  Its a slow process.

Im also sport mad now, i work out 5-6 days a week and i love every minute.  My friends think im superwoman lol.

Cant wait for Reading HM next weekend, am hoping for a sub 1:50, a new pb.  When i started running i didnt realise it would take so long to get faster but in a way its nice as its great to see the gradual pb's every month.  I love always having a goal and as soon as ive reached it theres a new one appeared! 

11/03/2013 at 10:31
Started two years ago at 43 when my exercise bike broke. Did my first 10k race a year later (47:47) and last weekend managed a new PB of 44:17 so did the distance in under my age which was a good feeling. Just one half to date last June (1:40:34) and hoping to improve on that in four weeks time. Don't think that makes me particularly speedy but it's a good feeling considering that four or five years ago I wouldn't have been able to run a mile.
11/03/2013 at 20:26

Fiona Matheson started running at 42, she's achieved various world record times for her age group, her 5K time is 16.50, 10k 34.44. She's in her early 50s now and ran 1500 in 4.48.70 last month, wow! 

11/03/2013 at 20:39
I was smoking this time last year upto 40 roll ups a day gave up in April. I'm 37 male and upto my early 30,s had never exercised. Took up running about 6 or 7 months ago and found I was quite fast. Got an half marathon on April the 24 and I expect to run it in 120 to 127. I've ran a training run of 29.5 miles in 3hr22 so I've found I have speed has well of endurance. So in a couple of years where could I be hopefully a very good club runner. That long run is because I'm training for an ultra marathon. Today ran to work 5 miles in 33:23 avg6:40 then ran home 32:32 avg6:30. Each month getting stronger and faster. Only regret is I smoked and was a coach potatoe for most of my life.
11/03/2013 at 21:27
Stevie G . wrote (see)

I saw on facebook a guy of 60 did a half marathon of 1hr 11 the other week.

A terrific time at any age, but surely you'd only have the what ifs about starting 40-45 years earlier. Could have been one of the best surely!

I think it's Noakes who has done an analysis of age-group record holders, and it appears that generally it is people who have started training seriously later in life, who are peaking when they hit the records, rather than elite athletes who are hanging around and still running relatively well.  So if the 60 year old had been a serious athlete when he was in his 20s/30s, he would have been running HMs quicker than 1hr 11, but wouldn't necessarily be up there with the best... but who knows?

G Bass - I started training seriously about six years ago, aged 34.  Having now hit 40 I'm still running PBs - HM 72:19 and 10k 33:06 this year.  Train consistently and avoid injury (good luck!) and you could have years of improvement ahead of you. 

Edited: 11/03/2013 at 21:28

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.