Have you ever been last in an event?

181 to 196 of 196 messages
05/09/2014 at 10:34

test

Edited: 05/09/2014 at 10:34
05/09/2014 at 10:39

Your testing what it's like to come last in an event?

05/09/2014 at 10:41

I can tell you, it's awesome, and really embarrassing, and wonderful, and really embarrassing all at the same time. Did i mention the embarrassing bit?

All those volunteers, and organisers who have been hanging around and wanting to pack up and go home, all waiting for you to cross this silly little imaginary line.

But, it's also a great feeling of hell yes, I'm not great at this but I can just about do this within the pre defined limits, whopeeeeeeeee.

05/09/2014 at 12:38

If youre over 60 there is no shame in coming last. Under, then in all honesty, maybe running isn't for you.

05/09/2014 at 13:25

Joakin so how do you have an event with more than one person if none of them are over 60?

05/09/2014 at 13:29

Most events always have a golden oldie in it. So basically if you're slower than her, then you've got something to worry about.

05/09/2014 at 13:45

So your answer is you have to have someone over 60?

05/09/2014 at 13:50

Someone over 60 and female apparently.

05/09/2014 at 13:51
PhilPub wrote (see)

Someone over 60 and female apparently.

That was a deliberate bait, Im glad someone noticed it

05/09/2014 at 13:53

Yes.  Well done.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
08/09/2014 at 18:00

Well I'm over 60 and female - will I do?

09/09/2014 at 21:18

No, because you would probably still beat me and your dog would thrash me! 

Edited: 09/09/2014 at 21:18
09/09/2014 at 22:15

It is harder than you might thing to come last in an event!

However marginal your finish is, there always seems to be somebody who cuts it tighter!

12/09/2014 at 11:33

When I was 13 I amazed myself by coming 3rd in my year in the school cross country (3 and a half miles) which qualified me for the district race. I had never considered myself a runner, just a kid who loved running about playing football.

I didn't bother to train for the district race, trusting my fitness, even though at 6 miles it was further than I'd ever run before.

The race was in April, but the weather was unbelievably hot (at least it seemed that way). I was breathless and aching after just 2 miles. I recall that horrible sinking feeling whilst my pace slowed and everyone streamed past. But I kept plodding along until 5 miles at which point I was wheezing like an asthmatic and my legs were screaming.

I walked the last mile with tears welling in my eyes. I stumbled around the final corner and could see no-one ahead of me before the tape, so it was clear I was last by some distance. All the spectators and runners seemed to be drifting away (even the woman at the results desk was gathering her papers) but my Mum was standing alone, gazing at me with pained sympathy and unconditional love written all over her face. We embraced and the tears emerged in a torrent.

It was all very humiliating, especially as everyone at school found out and took the piss, but it was also character building. I've never excelled at anything in my life, but I've always given it everything I have in order to avoid that horrible feeling and attain some level of achievement and personal satisfaction.

14/09/2014 at 23:59

Last year I finished 2nd from last in a local half marathon with 350 people with a time of 2h 47. The other person finished over an hour after. It was sort of embarrassing, but everyone was really supportive.

I'm a large runner (nearly 15stone female) and my half marathon pb is 2h 45 so I'm probably going to get alot more near lasts this year.

A few people have suggested to me that I shouldn't enter a half marathon if I don't think I can run under 2h 30 - which is what they deem someone with no training to be able to do. But I've worked hard and trained hard for my races and I'll run them however long it takes me.

15/09/2014 at 19:03

This year I was the penultimate finisher in UTMB, and it is the race result that I am most proud of, and I am sure it would still be if I had finished last. 

Context is everything. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
181 to 196 of 196 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.