Have you ever been last in an event?

201 to 209 of 209 messages
08/10/2014 at 10:12

I entered a 10K recently - first organised event I enter in several years due to a chronic injury that kept me off regular running for a few years. I didn't come last, but my time was very slow. I was aiming for a time of 60 and ended up only narrowly beating 70 - along the way several ladies in their 60s passed me by (I am in my mid 40s)  However, I was overall pleased with the result, given that it was my first 10K in over 5 years, I was suffering from mild hay fever and my ankle and heel didn't hurt at all. Now looking forward to the next 10K and maybe a half early next year, heel permitting  

14/10/2014 at 13:51
Well done on your race and don't worry about where you place, that's still way ahead of everyone that stayed at home on their couch.
I once got overtaken by mickey mouse...
20/10/2014 at 12:52

Have entered a 5 mile XC race this weekend. My first race since 2011. My race plan, when compared with last year's finish times, suggests I'll be tail end Charlie.  But someone has to be right?

20/10/2014 at 18:43

I HAVE REGULARLY FINISHED LAST AT PARKRUN I DO IT SO NO-ONE HAS TO FINISH LAST AND GET DISPONSANT ABOUT IT.BETTER I FINSH LAST AND HELP OTHERS ROUND THAN THEY GIVE UP.. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH LAST............................................................................

27/10/2014 at 12:18

Hopes dashed. I finished 81st out of 112, and ran the whole thing about five minutes faster than I expected to.

28/10/2014 at 14:47

I was briefly overtaken by the bloke with the fridge on one GNR and I regularly see the back of Sponge Bob Squarepants.  Don't care.  Finished before everyone who didn't do  it at all 

28/10/2014 at 19:47

i have quit cigarettes 6 weeks ago,, start slowly with running, my aim is in 3 weeks time at reigate mud run, just to cross finish line no matter if i going to be last.  

Yesterday at 09:30

When I did my first marathon about a month ago I feared I'd come last as it's a tough hilly route but came in 203rd out of 230 runners, did fear I was right at the back towards the end of the route and had a couple people sprint past right at the finish but I was def a lot faster than anyone who didn't run that day!

Yesterday at 09:42

I came fourth from last in a bonkers hilly 12.5k on Sunday... although I didn't realise at the time, because half-marathoners were doing two laps of the same course, so there were reassuringly still a lot of people behind me. It was such a ridiculously hilly, muddy, slippery and treacherous course that I was glad just to finish without breaking a leg, though! From what I've seen, people who come in last always get a huge cheer - much more than those who come in at the middle. And as Moustachioz says, even if you come last you're still doing better than those who didn't even try. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
201 to 209 of 209 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.