Have you ever been last in an event?

41 to 60 of 211 messages
03/09/2013 at 11:30

I've been last a few times, and usually near the back.  I just race myself and my previous times in a particular race or over a particular distance.  I now also have "post baby" PBs to chase in my comeback.

DNF should only be an option if you are ill or injured.  I pulled out of a marathon once at 16 miles due to early stage heatstroke.  My only DNF ever.  I still can't wear the t-shirt (handed out at the start rather than at the end).  Pulling out because you can't see the person in front of you is Not A Good Thing and stays with you for a long time. 

And there's quite often a wee prize for last place - I've had a couple of bottles of wine and some flowers.

03/09/2013 at 12:17

In that 10h30m marathon the organiser told us we were still the fastest ever last people in that event! If you see what I mean.....

03/09/2013 at 12:49
Runnin man wrote (see)

I guess coming last is no big deal then. Mind you I have never had a DNF, would that be worse than finishing last?

I DNF'ed my last Marathon.... first ever DNF and at 20 ish miles... so I put myself through 7 miles of indescribable pain, (pain started at half way) determined to finish anyway. I got a lot of sympathy and support and only one piss taker!

Annoyed, p**ed off, does not even touch it, long drive, family came to watch, what a waste... and my foot still hurts nearly a month later.

And no it was not because I did not train enough/properly

Fastest ever last finishers  That's priceless Womble

03/09/2013 at 14:03

So yes, DNF is worse and finishing last is not so bad after all

03/09/2013 at 15:27

I don't have a problem with DNF-ing.

If you've got a problem, something's starting to hurt, it's sensible to pull out.  Otherwise you can end up doing more damage, and not being able to run at all - what's the point of that?

03/09/2013 at 20:02

Having marshalled a half marathon for a fair few years, the mid to back packers certainly make the experience a lot better than the front runners.

The front runners don't really need you, and are too caught up in themselves to barely look at you let alone say anything.

The middle and back packers seem genuinely grateful we've turned out for them, and in response get more of a cheer!

04/09/2013 at 01:46

I once fell three times in a 400m hurdles race, finishing almost a minute behind the winner.

Once you've done something like that, it takes a great deal to embarrass you.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
04/09/2013 at 06:18

Being last is no big deal, I am almost always last in every event I do because I can't do the volume of training I used to.  I am a 60-plus triathlete with a prosthetic hip joint, I am just grateful to be able to race at all nowadays. So count your blessings, people!

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/09/2013 at 07:42
marshallini wrote (see)

Last by nearly a minute and I wasn't that far short of my pb

results to prove it

wow and even the first13 women beat you...........that was some field running

04/09/2013 at 08:25
Bionic Ironwolf wrote (see)

Being last is no big deal, I am almost always last in every event I do because I can't do the volume of training I used to.  I am a 60-plus triathlete with a prosthetic hip joint, I am just grateful to be able to race at all nowadays. So count your blessings, people!

I agree, being last has to be taken in context, I mistakenly entered a fell run where I went with the hares instead of the tortoises, tried to change it but had to run and came in three from the back with a time I haven't matched since. I'd have been comfortable in the other run but it forced my pace tha day.  

04/09/2013 at 12:00

asasd

Edited: 04/09/2013 at 12:00
04/09/2013 at 12:40

Never been last but have DNF a few times. Nothing wrong with DNF an event for whatever reason. I'll not finish an event if I CBA but know that my CBA I'll still beat a lot of runners who are giving it their best effort. It's usually my head that stops functioning and I just grind to a halt. Sometimes I'll just wait for a back marker and jog round with them. 

I agree with S. G. When 'racing' I don't notice what is around me, i don't really enjoy that aspect of racing, Iprefer to run slowly sometimes and enjoy myself a bit more. I don't enjoy racing except 5k's.

04/09/2013 at 20:38

I was last in a ten miler near Wolverhampton in the mid 90s.

1 hour 39 minutes something. Those were the days.

DNFing is fine. Far better than making a problem worse.

04/09/2013 at 21:31

I was last in a run when preggers, got a nice cheer when I finished

Had a couple of DNFs too, nothing wrong with that.  In an ambulance with heat stroke and another sick after trying a new sports drink I hadn't used before.  That was a silly mistake!

05/09/2013 at 11:58

Came last in my leg of the Welsh Castles Relay this year, but did manage to beat the cut-off time (just)

05/09/2013 at 12:33

I run for the fun so I have come last and do not mind

Edited: 05/09/2013 at 12:34
05/09/2013 at 12:45

Last in the 1500m at school sports day in 1986!

05/09/2013 at 17:37

feeling alot better now!!  Am concentrating on just finishing the half, stuff where I come

06/09/2013 at 08:38

Good plan. No-one is ever last anyway as they always beat everyone else who didn't do it!

06/09/2013 at 12:45

In the early 90's before I ever cosnidered actually trying to run, a couple of us entered the Chester 10K for a laugh (OK it was mainly because the nice girl from our office was also running!!).

Didn't train, whatsoever, and came in dead last, also beaten by most of the guys running the Half that was also on at the same time.

One mitigating factor though, is we did stop on the way round in one of the pubs for a couple of pints!!!

41 to 60 of 211 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.