Have you ever been last in an event?

141 to 160 of 162 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/01/2014 at 11:53

I used to do quite well when younger  (3:48 marathon, 44 min 10km)) but nowadays often finish last, especially in a triathlon - I'm female, 64 and have been running since 11 years old with one long (enforced) break of 6 months in 2012 after a hip replacement operation. so yes, all of you who finished a race did better than most of the population who can't even be  bothered to get out of bed on a Sunday until the pubs open! 

I used to be a bit embarrassed about being awarded age-group prizes, until my club mates told me not to be silly - you can only beat those who show up to race, tisn't my fault if no other W60s were there! More so this year, as I'm now in W65, living in Germany the age group changes on 1 January, you are in whatever AG you will be in on 31 December! Lots of older runners - but there's almost never any other female triathletes over 50. As Dale Winton says - you gotta be in it to win it.

Edited: 03/01/2014 at 11:58
03/01/2014 at 17:40

bionic ironwolf you are a star keep going you are a young woman

03/01/2014 at 20:50

Thank you Dennis! So far this year I've entered a 1km swim, 2 olympic distance triathlons and a half Ironman, looking at several more over the 2014 season.

04/01/2014 at 11:15

I'm taking part in the Yorkshire XC Championships at Ripon today and I can say quite categorically that if I'm not last I'll be in the last three.  It's the experience that counts!

06/01/2014 at 15:13

Bionic Ironwolf, seeing people like you doing things like Half Ironmans, really encourages me to look into doing something similar.  The run and the bike ride wouldn't be a problem, a 1.2mile swim though when definitely be way beyond my current capability, it'd be a 1.2mile doggy paddle.

07/01/2014 at 10:46

Simon, all it takes is practice!

20/01/2014 at 13:25

Running the South of England cross Country on Saturday and I will almost certainly be i nthe last 30 and possibly close to the back. I haven't finished last yet but have been close on occasion. Having said that I would normally finish in the top 2/3rds of most races.

Triathlons are probably less well attended than road races still and only recently really gone to the masses so tends to be younger people doing them. So not surprised there are less older people and therefore you find yourself as the only one in your age group. That will change a lot over the next five years I imagine.

20/01/2014 at 18:37

Perhaps they are in England, but here in Germany most triathlons sell out very fast once the web site opens. Unsurprisingly (to me anyway) there are always more older triathletes in an Ironman race!

04/02/2014 at 14:14

Ok so there were 3 behind me at the South of England

07/02/2014 at 07:46

I entered a half marathon before realising the cut off time is 2hours 30. Considering that distance can take me anywhere between 2 hours 9 and 2 hours 33 and it's pretty small race, I reckon I'll definitely be one of the last!

07/02/2014 at 14:05

There were 8 people behind me in my first half marathon, which I finished in 2:17. Very small race though, under 150 participants, and I got lost on a beach section of it when a sea haze rolled in so probably covered closer to 14 miles. 

08/02/2014 at 15:12
In my first half marathon I played cat and mouse with the sweeper minibus from about 10 miles or so... the sweeper bus won by quite along way!

I wasn't last in the actual race (but definitely in the last 20 - 30 in a large field), but I was comfortably last in the 40-strong team of runners from my work place. TBH it has made me a bit afraid of the distance - I've got my second HM in a couple of months... getting back on the horse, etc...
18/02/2014 at 11:12

I came last in a cross-country once. It was embarrassing. Like, I know someone has to come last, but I was several minutes behind the guy who came second-last. And it wasn't like I had a good excuse, like an injury or losing a shoe in the mud. 

That said, I did try to hobble a bit at the end to make it look as though I'd done my knee in...

18/02/2014 at 17:09

Never personally but a few of my clients have come fairly low down the rankings. Being low down/last is certainly not something to be disappointed with. It is your own challenge and goal and together we've had many great runs and even I would go so far as saying enjoyed the races that little bit more due to the extra support and comradeship that we receive.

21/02/2014 at 19:22

I haven't come last yet, but I've come close once or twice! A few years back my wife called me from work telling me that one of her colleagues had pulled out of a half marathon that was being held two days later, and if I'd like to step in. Being an eternal optimist, I did, despite my not having trained at all. It was a painful experience!

25/02/2014 at 13:23

I go to alot of athletics events, XC's etc (only watching) and someone always has to come last, as others have said they usually get the biggest cheers and at least they have entered and put themselves out there. I've had alot of issues with my ankle so have never entered a race..ever! i've now been running for the last 4 weeks and in a few weeks i'll enter a parkrun, if i get round i'll probably finish last, and i'd be over the moon

10/03/2014 at 14:13

I was nearly last a couple of times, once at a 5k in Knole Park- but I had an excuse, I had bronchitis. My bf at the time dragged me around and was embarassed ever after because of his PW! The other time was of all things the Santa Run in Battersea Park! I had to keep on pulling up my trousers.

IW- well done! Hauptsache dass man bei der Sache spass hat!

19/03/2014 at 12:40

Danke moomoo! Ich habe immer Spass beim Wettkampf!

08/04/2014 at 08:44

"The race is long, and in the end, its only with yourself"

21/04/2014 at 12:50

I came third from last in my first (and so far only) 5k, but I was just happy to have finished. As they say, last is better than 'did not finish', which kicks the crap out of 'did not start.'

141 to 160 of 162 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.