Have you ever been last in an event?

161 to 175 of 175 messages
Dustboy    pirate
22/04/2014 at 00:42

I am debating entering a localish 10K next month. Now, in the past, I would have been about mid to just below mid field. Now, after a year of vaguely well documented health issues elsewhere on the forum, completion would be an achievement. BUT, it might be a last place, even a DNF, I really don't know.

Soooooo, should I "race"? It's not likely to harm me as long as I leave the rev limiters on, but last is a possibility. I am minded to go along for a laugh anyway, even if there is a bit of walking involved.

22/04/2014 at 12:59

I like being at the back for space and smell! Am too slow to be in the front and the middle smells of sweat and BO

20/05/2014 at 11:27

After supporting me for a number of years on running events my wife decided to have a go.I am a slow runner normally due to my age finishing in the last 10%.My wife(in her late 60s) had a mortal fear of finishing last.As I ran around with her on several events the problem was overcome as when we entered the finishing straight I dropped back and achieved the accolade of being last.As previous correspondants have stated I was amazed at the goodwill extended to the late finishers.On one occasion a spectator advised me to keep training then I might beat my wife.

To take part and finish is the one goal we should all aspire to, sod the results.

26/05/2014 at 10:20

I tell you what, I would give my right arm to have been last in the ultra I DNFd yesterday!

XX1
26/05/2014 at 12:05
Tired Runner wrote (see)

I like being at the back for space and smell! Am too slow to be in the front and the middle smells of sweat and BO

I'm sure you're very fragrant, although no one minds the smell of their own eh 

XX1
04/06/2014 at 13:45

I'm running in the Welsh Castles Relay this weekend. It will be my third year and I am always worried about coming last. I run for a business team and we are lucky just to get 20 runners whereas the running clubs which make up the majority of the participants have try outs and strict cut off times. It attracts some top class athletes, of which I am definitely not one!

I don't know why I worry as my team would just be happy that I ran and the support on this event is always great so you know people would be still cheering for you.

Dustboy    pirate
07/06/2014 at 23:30

I finished, I wasn't last, I felt well ill for the rest of the day, Ben Davies, one, I feel for you, two, you need a decent name for the forum

08/06/2014 at 14:42

I was last female finisher at Outlaw Half last week, great support. It is the taking part and completing that feel good.

17/06/2014 at 10:45

I have regularly been in the very end of a raise. I was 5th from last at UK70.3 when i first tried it, and i think the same position in IM Austria. I was the last individual finisher at Challenge Roth, although relay athletes came after me, as they started later....did mean i missed out on my last finisher bouquet though!

I did a little local aquathlon, and a 'friend' overtook me in the dying metres, cos she couldnt possibly be last......I reminded her i had only been back running a few weeks, 6 months after i had broken my back.

The support at the back of the field is always great.....I have a friend who does all the local cross country races, and she is regularly last. But she is massively respected and supported because she is having a go...

19/06/2014 at 15:52

My first and so far only full marathon I came very nearly last. To my mind I was chuffed having finished it and as I was nearly last it was our friends and family cheering us over the line (the weather was horrendous so not many other spare bodies). Think you just have decide does it matter to you? Is your goal to finish or to to do a certain time? Just give it it a go, any distance is a challenge and fair play to you for having a go!

30/06/2014 at 23:24
I've been last and now had a DNF, being last finisher is waaaay better
02/07/2014 at 13:08

I've been last but as my friend always says somebody has to be last and the people that can't run and who are sat at home in front of the tele are really last. That gets rid of any pre-race doubts for me. I am relatively new to running but I am improving all the time and hopefully I will gradually move up the field.

08/07/2014 at 12:09

I'm always at the back as i plod along This year came in with the sweepr car at Brathay as chose to stay and help an injured runner 

sometimes its abit lonely as lots of people go home but also those that are left usually give a big hearty cheer when you are near the end

16/07/2014 at 12:02

I would happily be last!

You started AND finished - you are awesome!!!

27/07/2014 at 21:01

Haha done it again *pout* 

Did back to back marathons, I wasn't last each day, but of the the 34 that did both days my combined total was the worse. 

Still bloody glad that I did the challenge.   I still have two medals to show for my efforts   

It's one of those things, am I a laughing stock as I'm last? maybe in some eyes but to me someone has to come last and I would rather be last than doing nothing. 

Edited: 27/07/2014 at 21:09

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
161 to 175 of 175 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.