Have you thrown up while running?

vomit, heave, puke, spew

1 to 20 of 28 messages
22/08/2009 at 22:59
Hi.
Sorry to lower the tone somewhat but,

I watched the mens marathon on tv this morning, which was very good.
The chap in second, Mutai, threw up a couple of times near the finish and again after he finished.

To throw up while running must mean you've got to be pushing your whole body to the absolute limt.
Obviously, you could just have a plain old bad gut, but if it's purely down to effort, then that's pretty hard core.

This may sound a very weird question, but have you pushed yourself so hard while running that you've said hello again to your gels and energy drink?

I think I look forward to your replies.
23/08/2009 at 09:42

Never thrown up during a race, but threw up at the end of a 10k once, and nearly did another time after a fast five-miler.

Was quite pleased with myself as it meant I'd been pushing close to my limit

23/08/2009 at 09:45

I have come close once, but I avoided it.

I have seen a number of people chunder in races though.

23/08/2009 at 09:45
In a 10k where I was trying to beat a rival i just passed them before  the finish line, staggered out of the tunnel and threw up all over a new shiny BMW
23/08/2009 at 09:49
Oh yes, on a 10k a couple of years ago. Having had a sip or two of red bull before the start, did not sit well and the truely technicolour yawn at the 7k distance was not pleasant.
Have never touched the stuff since
Edited: 23/08/2009 at 09:50
23/08/2009 at 11:08
Years ago when attempting to start running. Mr P had been coaxing me and I'd never made running the whole distance...this time I caught him and had run the lot ...only to puke immediately we stopped
23/08/2009 at 11:22
Did a x-country in Jan with a serious hanngover. Was hoping not to run but the club was fielding a weakened team already. Puked up a mouthful as soon as crossed the line. Tried to surreptitiously spit it out behind a tree but was spotted. V. embarrassing
23/08/2009 at 12:35
Out running last week with a mate and at one point he had to stop with severe stomach cramps. Kept going again and had to stop again just as we got home. Rushed into the house and pebble dashed the pan as the world fell out of his bottom. Appears it had been well churned during the run and was desperate to come out. Not vomit, but a lot more embarrassing if he not managed some self control....
23/08/2009 at 12:52
kind of - have retched badly a few times in training sessions where it's just been one run too many in a row and body has let me know it. Never actually thrown up (does throwing up a little into your mouth count? Yuck I know TMI)
23/08/2009 at 15:15
Winking Giraffe wrote (see)
Out running last week with a mate and at one point he had to stop with severe stomach cramps. Kept going again and had to stop again just as we got home. Rushed into the house and pebble dashed the pan as the world fell out of his bottom. Appears it had been well churned during the run and was desperate to come out. Not vomit, but a lot more embarrassing if he not managed some self control....

I have never vomited, something similar happened to me, on my way back from my run. I was experiencing stomach cramps and the last two miles I had to walk and keep stopping it was that bad

23/08/2009 at 16:22
Have you never sh&t in the woods?
Edited: 23/08/2009 at 16:23
23/08/2009 at 16:52
Chocolate Moose wrote (see)
Have you never sh&t in the woods?

Give that it was a built up area not really applicable in this case. He could've jumped behind a garden shed I suppose...
23/08/2009 at 17:18
<makes careful note of thrower-uppers, for future races>
23/08/2009 at 19:03
Yup- in the bike leg of my first (and only ) triathlon. Also ,VERY nearly, at the de-chip zone of a recent 10k- thought I was going to puke on the volunteer's head! (got a PB though!!)
24/08/2009 at 08:17

I can throw up sometimes after a really fast training session. More, I find I get constipation after a long run, even if I hardly eat. I did 20 miles fast and felt a little sick for a hour afterwards. I find that restricting my diet keeps my weight down and I make sure my stomach is totally empty before any exercise.

I always leave a min of 8 hours before running and only eat 2 small meals a day - just enough to get me by, without excess, and it works...

24/08/2009 at 13:14

Never done it myself, but remember once dropping out of a school cross country race. As it was a series of laps I was for once able to see the first few finish. The first one smashed the course record & threw up, his twin finished second, also breaking the old record, and nearly chucked up, third was our school's first runner, who broke the record for one of our pupils, and he promptly chundered.

Three or four minutes later, at the time when I would normally have finished, they were all recovered, and looked fresh as daisies!

24/08/2009 at 13:29

yes i have thrown up during a race and after

as for energy gels and drinks - i never touch them - they don't really agree with me much  

24/08/2009 at 13:34

blimey Km, I'm sure thats not the most sensible approach but who am i

I was nearly sick at the end of my first ever race after pelting it to the finish! I think its so funny when they film the athletes being sick but then keep on filming  and they keep being sick! Thanks for that !!! Its all about adrenaline though isn't it so i guess its a natural response - still grim though

24/08/2009 at 13:42

I once suffered bad travel sickness on the way to a half Marathon. I was sick twice before the start, then managed to throw up again just after the gun went off, much to the horror of my fellow competitors!! I still can't go past the post office where it happened without thinking about it.

Really I should have pulled out, but my family were there and it was my first race back after a nasty injury so I felt the need to carry on!

I still went on to the finish the race though, although it took me a lot longer then my normal half marathon efforts!!

24/08/2009 at 15:41

I threw up after my second marathon at London in 1996...it was a hot day and I had struggled all the way round, and after getting my stuff and limping up to Trafalgar Square I went into a news agents to get some water. It was so hot in there that I felt the wave of nausea wash over me, and I had just enough time to throw some coins at the proprietor and run outside before covering the pavement.

The fact that I had running kit on meant people passing by didn't bat an eyelid - tehy must have thought 'just another marathon runner puking'!! Not too sure if the news agent is still there, but if it is, and you're passing by, look at the pavement and think of my sick!!

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.