Heart Rate Query

Does the cold increase your heart rate?

2 messages
28/10/2002 at 11:56
About 6 weeks before the Chicago Marathon, I ran a half marathon at my intended marathon pace (8 min/mile). I wore my HM and found that I needed to clock about 158-160 bpm to do it. It was remarkably regular and accurate.

When it came to Chicago, I found I was running nearer 168-170 most of the way, and I only did 8.15 min/mile. I seemed to be perfectly healthy (no temperature or anything) but it was exceptionally cold all the way round.

Does anyone have an explanation?
28/10/2002 at 12:36
My heart rate tends to be lower in the cold weather. When it's hot your blood is thicker so the heart needs to pump more/harder. On the other hand, I think it's fairly well established that your heart rate will be higher in a race - must be the adrenalin - and that you can sustain a higher HR.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.