Heart rate

How do I get my heart rate down?

7 messages
26/06/2011 at 20:43
I am just wondering if anyone has any information regarding how regular running will change my heart rate when training? I have a max of 187 and during the 5k Parkruns my avg has been 173bpm (for approx 29mins). This feels like a huge workload but it is pretty normal when I run or cycle. My heart rate does come down pretty quickly when I stop. (Similar to a formula 1 car!)

Will regular running bring down my average or do I just have to live with it. I would like to have more power and a lower heart rate in order to decrease my time.

Any suggestions?
26/06/2011 at 21:21
I run close to my max on 5k's as I'm sure most of us here will do , my max is around 198 and my last 5k I ran an average of 187. There's nothing wrong with having a high heart rate during a race, it shows you're working hard. If your heartrate gets lower during races it's because you're not running as fast as you're capable of.
26/06/2011 at 22:06

If you're not close to your max at the end of a 5k then you really haven't run it hard enough.  If your HR is coming down quickly afterwards then that's a sign that you've got a good fitness level.

Regular training will bring your HR down but I hope that you'll race faster rather than at a lower HR.

cougie    pirate
26/06/2011 at 22:10
Yes - you'll just be going faster for the same heartrate. Your recovery should improve and your resting heart rate may be a bit lower but you'll still have a similar heart rate when you race. If this worries you - ditch the monitor.
26/06/2011 at 22:46
Great! Thanks for all your replies. Makes me feel normal!
Adele
27/06/2011 at 11:53
When I started I couldn't do any run at below 150. Even a gentle jog was straight up to 150, but flat out I couldn't go above 170 - a very narrow operating range. Now 8 years later I can run with it below 130 (just), I can do a 5k with an average of 172/3 and get it up to around 176.
28/06/2011 at 09:47
Your heart rate sounds fine to me, my max is around 192 and I'd average about 180-185 for 5-10K and about 190 across the line.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.