Hell Runner !!

1 to 20 of 33 messages
16/04/2010 at 00:54

I am working a night shift and its nearly 0100 hours, being a bit bored I have just entered Hell Up North with my colleague. I think I must me mad... anyone out there who did it last year got any good tips ? I have done a few 1/2 marathons and several 10k's before but always on roads and decent forest tracks.

How do you prepare for running in the bog of doom ?

16/04/2010 at 14:51

I did it last year (south) it was brilliant. Tips i can't think of too many to be honest.

Maybe the ovbious like wear old kit etc that you don't mind getting really dirty. 

Oh and this might apply up north too-

The bog of doom as i recall is a lot deeper than it appears don't just charge in otherwise you will end up loosing your footing getting a mouthful of god knows what with two hundred people laughing at you. Don't ask how i know that.

forget running in it i'm 6,4 and it was up to my chest probably better off swimming it. 

16/04/2010 at 21:42

Cheers - everyone seems to enjoy being covered in mud. Thanks for the tip re the bog of doom

will keep my gob shut and paddle like crazy ! I was thinking of running in the local brook but think I may get sectioned by the local health authority...

16/04/2010 at 22:36
I did Hell Down South a couple of years ago.  It's great !  The route goes down a steep bank, into a wide (100m) pond where the devil is on stilts !  Yes really !  OK, it's a guy in fancy dress but it's great.  Scrambling up the  muddy bank on the other side of the pond before more and more running is good too.  In the bog of doom there was an inflatable alligator, it's just such a laugh !
16/04/2010 at 22:51

No body told me there would be ALLIGATORS !! as you may of guessed I am game for a laugh and am just looking forward to having a great time in addition to a challenge. I know the distance wont be a huge issue as I have done a few half marathons before I think the biggest problem will be the cold.

Debbie you didn't say if you would do another one... is once enough ?

16/04/2010 at 23:16

Andy,

It's a good cross country 10 mile run at Longmoor (Hell Down South) Hampshire.  However, the palaver of getting there i.e. leaving home early enough to park and get to the start line, then do the race, then get back to the car, change, then crawl through the traffic to get out of the car park then drive back home 20 miles away, makes it a long day.  A few participants who had finished were in the car park having barbeques by their cars whilst everyone else was going home.

I did it in 2 hrs 9mins, I was really pleased about this.  Even more so when I learned that a Personal Trainer who goes to the same circuit training group as me did it in 2 hrs 4 mins, i.e. she was only 5 minutes faster.  The last couple of miles over sandy/hilly terrain is a bugger when all you want to do is finish and you can hear the tannoy welcoming other finishers across the finish line.

By the way, I did the Paris Marathon last weekend in 5hrs 37 minutes.  Not bad for a first time marathon.

Edited: 16/04/2010 at 23:18
18/04/2010 at 19:28
hi andy i did the hell runner up noth last year a i loved every moment its brill as long as you get the training in. make sure you start to get some off road trail running in this is a must.   am doing it again this year and my wife even signed up and shes only started running  best of luck hulksy
DG    pirate
18/04/2010 at 19:56
My OH has done Hell Up North twice now.  He enjoyed it and me and the kids enjoyed laughing at him!!  There is a lot of up and downs - there's a sort of circular valley and they take you up and down, up and down and some of the descents are really more slides than running!  OH trained by anytime he saw a decent grassy bank on a run he'd run up and down it lots of times.  And just when you think its nearly over, you hit the bogs of doom - expect to loose a shoe!! Don't expect great times as its narrow tracks and quite congested so you can't pass people a lot of the time - just enjoy the event!!  Its a good event for spectators too with a few attractions at the start (RAF had a climbing wall one year) and last time I was there a food stall with fab homemade cakes!  You can also walk through the forest and see the runners a few times (assuming its still at Delamere). 
18/04/2010 at 20:13

I've done all of the Hell Runners at Delamere. The last two years I've done the race the week after the Snowdonia Marathon, which didn't help my time much.

My advice is 1) wear trail shoes, not road shoes, 2) look at where/how other people deal with the 'obstacles', 3) go to enjoy it - cos it's enormous fun.

20/04/2010 at 23:42
Agree with Eric. I did it last year for the first time, and loved it! In the words of George Michael, "Just hit  the bogs and go for it.".. I'll be wearing trail shoes next time, too. But it's great craic, good atmosphere and a real challenge. My pic on here is me on the home straight last year....
Edited: 20/04/2010 at 23:44
21/04/2010 at 14:05

it was just me and my mate how did the course last year but there about six of us doing it this year .

and my best tip i learned from last year is tie yours laces tight or put some tape around them as i got my shoe sucked off in the mud last year great stuff ...lol 

21/04/2010 at 17:18
Was just watching the video....followed by the other half saying "dont even think about it"......yet, she is fine with all the other silly things I have done.....so.....she will be fine with this (after I had several showers, binned the clothes, stopped talking about it)
26/04/2010 at 09:13

Thanks everyone, not many hills round where I live so think I will do some "stairs" and build up the muscles. I am also doing about 40 miles on a mountain bike each week which I hope will also help.

At least nobody has said "DONT DO IT YOU MAD FOOL" Which is very encourageing.

26/04/2010 at 14:00
DON,T DO IT YOU MAD FOOL there they have now lol hulksy
01/05/2010 at 05:34
Just reading the latest messages and can't help but read the "DONT DO IT YOU MAD FOOL" In a strange B A Baracus accent
01/05/2010 at 10:16
 well in that case  your a "CRAZY FOOL" LOL  hulksy
01/09/2010 at 13:29
Can anyone suggest what clothing to wear? Are a long sleeve HH and running shorts ok? (have got trail shoes)
01/09/2010 at 14:17
what ever you wear make sure it's not your best stuff as you may need to bin it after the race , i wore a pair of Ron hills last year and when i got out of the bogs the water and mud  trapped in them made my legs feel like lead so i might wear shorts or tights (running ones not the wife's lol).  consider three main points in choosing what to wear  1 comfort so it doesn't rub  2 old and can be binned afterwards 3 not to heavy as the race is about 12 miles long and it my be cold when you start  but you can still over heat as you,ll be running for about 2 hours  hope this helps hulksy
cougie    pirate
01/09/2010 at 14:40

Yeah - wear old kit if you have it. Long sleeve tops are fine, but wear shorts or the weight of the water will drag trousers down.

Its good fun but its not that hard. Steep hill to begin with to space people out, then running round the forest on trails and then go off road and down muddy bits and up muddy slopes. 

The bog of doom is fun - and its right at the end so it doesnt matter too much.

Be as fit as you can as then you'll be further up the field with more chance of running rather than getting caught in the masses and walking it.

If you dont have trail shoes, just use old trainers.

01/09/2010 at 16:23
I'm doing the up north one this year. I don't have any trail shoes or old running shoes as I have only just started running and don't want to ruin my nice new running shoes so I 'm just wearing normal trainers. Do you think these will be ok?
1 to 20 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.