Help! I have broken my ribs

2 messages
18/09/2002 at 12:11
Hi everyone. I don't know if there is anything I can do but I have broken my ribs and am concerned about the fitness I am going to lose whilst trying to recover. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to prevent myself from becoming really unfit. I can't walk too much at the moment as my breathing is a bit restricted. What would be the best way to start back running when I do reel recovered enough to start again?
18/09/2002 at 13:05
Debbie, you poor soul! How did you manage to break your ribs?

The good news is that rib injuries heal up very well despite the fact that they can't be immobilised. But you know that already. The bad news (which you probably know too) is that the process takes 6-8 weeks and a lot of painkillers.

If you can't walk, you can't do any exercise apart from the physio's deep breathing exercises. Don't even think about it. Spend the next week or so doing all the things you can never get done because you're always running, and get lots of sleep and good food.

By this time next week, you will be able to stand up without bracing yourself first and will be able to manage to breathe something like normally. That's the time to start walking.

You'll probably be ready to run in 3-4 weeks. When you start, start with short distances and modest speeds. It may take you a few weeks to get back to peak fitness, but it will come.

Look after yourself.

Cheers, V-rap.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.