Help. What would you do?

I can't make my mind up.

21 to 36 of 36 messages
06/07/2012 at 09:37
iPhone. Puts all those extra breaks there. Argh!
06/07/2012 at 09:51
Great decision

Nice quote as well, and I think it's sometimes easy to forget that the human body (and mind) is generally very good at coping with change and adapting to different circumstances, but is relatively crap at dealing with monotony and facing the same old, same old every day...

Hope you enjoy the run - Loch Ness is definitely stunning, so just go and give your eyes a feast
06/07/2012 at 10:24

Elli, if there is one marathon I could imagine doing to take in the scenery and not give a hoot about my finishing time, it would probably be Loch Ness.  Actually, I don't know much about the marathon route itself but I have been for a long run over the Loch and it's absolutely stunning.  Watch out for the Highland cows!

06/07/2012 at 11:00

Elli, I have a friend who is a really good runner and was training for Brighton this year. She sustained an injury from her day job which meant that she couldn't train for a while. She said that she was so glad, that the pressure of training was getting to her and she was now happy not to have to do it. So it's not just you. It can effect anyone.

If you can run for the scenery then do. I have slowed down when racing because my heart just wasn't in it and found that I really enjoyed the run.

06/07/2012 at 11:08

I was going to say pretty much what you've decided!

Train as much or as little as you feel like. Go to Helsinki, and decide on the day. Maybe plan to do Loch Ness still because I get the feeling (and may be wrong) that you will regret not trying that one. But don't plan to do it in a particular time, or without walking or anything.

Also, you're not a failure at all. I'm a runner (and it took me a long time to stop qualifying that with "well, sort of. More of a jogger really") and I have never tried a marathon and probably never will. My favorite distance is 10k and I don't do them as a tester for longer distances. I find them the nicest distance as I get bored and fed up on long runs on my own. You don't have to do the marathons to be a runner.

06/07/2012 at 11:29

Trolling a thread relating to depression.  How very brave.

Pethead    pirate
06/07/2012 at 11:42

If you don't care what it's about, why bother replying? Regardless of whether you've got anything useful to say or not.

06/07/2012 at 11:53
You forgot to take your ritalin, little man.
06/07/2012 at 13:03

For me Elli, I'd take some time off, run when you feel like it and recover, mentally and physically. Starting running in 2008 really helped me fight depression. When I got injured last year I kept training, making my injury worse. I was terrified of returning to how I was before I started running. The thing is, when I did stop, cycling (even on the turbo), swimming and actually having a lie in on a Sunday morning kept me happy.

Many might disagree but for me knowing when to quit is not a failure, pulling up at 22 miles, or finishing 90 minutes slower than you wanted will feel worse. Hope you feel better whatever you do.

Dreamtwister? You're a star aren't you?

06/07/2012 at 20:03

I think the worst bit might be being stuck in limbo - "shall I do it... shan't I do it". I hope that by making a decision (even if the decision is to decide later on) it'll be better.

06/07/2012 at 21:56
Carpathius that is so true! I've been in that limbo for a few weeks now and it's driving me insane!
Edited: 06/07/2012 at 21:56
07/07/2012 at 12:35

Elli- there are shorter races at Loch Ness weekend- there's the 10k - you could ask about transferring your marathon entry to the shorter distance- then your trip has a purpose, but you can do the shorter race, and enjoy a bit of faster running.

.............or go for the marathon anyway, it IS beautiful up there, the race is a lovely friendly one, LOTS of folk end up walking bits, since it is slightly hilly, you could have a good day taking it at a relaxed pace .

What ever you decide, even if it's to travel up there, and see how you feel on the day, I hope things start to improve. We do this for realxation, don't let it become an extra burden to struggle with.

Edited: 07/07/2012 at 12:35
07/07/2012 at 14:12

Hey Elli, practical suggestion here: Don't make any decision about Loch Ness yet - it's still months away. You might feel better by then and would be kicking yourself for pulling out. As Phil said, it's a beautiful route (with no chance of a PB anyway due to the hills) and well worth doing no matter how slowly. You almost HAVE to go slow to take in the scenery, which is utterly stunning.

I'm doing it with a couple of friends and I think I can safely say we're going to be very near the back. He'll have done 30-35 marathons in 2012 by that point and I'll (hopefully) have managed a 40 miler the week before. So we're both going to be pretty knackered even on the start line. So if you'd like to meet up with us for some back-of-pack encouragement, it would be lovely to have more company and someone else to chat to while bimbling round.

We'd probably be looking at something like a 6 hr finish time, so I'm not kidding when I say we're slow.

Edited: 07/07/2012 at 14:12
07/07/2012 at 17:15

Well I went on a 9 miler today. No rain, nice sunny spells and I loved it! Felt a lot lighter this time, I think the increased cycling in the past two weeks has really helped.

I think I will go for Loch Ness marathon for sure. I think it's too much of an opportunity to miss. When I was a kid I alwaysd deamt of Loch Ness monster and the Scottish mountains. I now live much closer, have a fantastic opportunity to take it all in! Event signed up for, accommodation paid for.... I will do it!

I'm not so sure about Helsinki. I will do what I do in regards to training and see how I feel about it when I'm there. I might have to adapt to run-walk method for that one, which doesn't really bother me that much. It's my home country and I'll have some friends supporting me so can't go wrong with trying.

This thread has really helped me to get my motivation back. I really appreciate all the comments from everyone, it's a lovely thing to see that people care and take their time to reply!

Runs-with-dogs, I'd love to join you!! It would be nice to have people to talk to. Where abouts are you staying? I'm staying in Iona B&B on Kenneth road.

Edited: 07/07/2012 at 17:17
07/07/2012 at 18:30

Elli, I haven't a clue where we're staying yet - usually book a place last minute, sometimes as last minute as when we're in the car driving there! Will maybe need to get more organised this year as there's a few of us going along. Could maybe even meet up the evening before - I know it can be a bit boring if you're on your own...

07/07/2012 at 19:02

I'm hoping OH will come as I was planning us to stay there few nights after the marathon but he hasnt said yes or no

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.