Help with PBs

help

8 messages
04/10/2010 at 11:50
So I ran my first 10k race for 3 months yesterday. My last 10k time was 45 mins but yesterday I got 47.40...I haven't run that for a long time. I'm now completely gutted and need to get motivated to do the Paris 20K this weekend. How am I going to get a good time? Is it normal to add on over 2 mins? I don't understand what went wrong. I've been training so hard.
04/10/2010 at 12:03

There's no point training hard unless you first train smart.

The temptation now will be to train harder and harder and all you'll do is compound any errors you've been making.

Or maybe it was just a bad day.  What have your last 5 race times been(at any distance) and when was each run?

04/10/2010 at 12:09
end of May I did 10k in 44. Then a 5.6k in 25, a 10k in 45 and a 5k in 21.20. I hadn't raced for 3 months until yesterday. I was very disappointed. To be fair, I only had 4 hours sleep the night before and had run 20 miles the weekend before (which I never do) so perhaps that didn't help and I had tendonitis for the first half of the race. I just don't know. I was really hoping to get 1.30 this weekend for the 20k but I can't see how it's possible now. I haven't trained today so I don't know what to do this week in terms of training.
04/10/2010 at 13:02

If you running 44 - 45 mins for 10K, i'd say 1hr 35 - 40 mins would be what you would be looking at for a half marathon. Especially if you not doing speed work, etc as part of your training

04/10/2010 at 13:09
thanks Chris. I haven't been able to do much speed work recently because of work (90/100 hour week aren't suitable for runners unfortunately). I just didn't realise that I'd dropped behind so much so it's really made me feel quite rubbish about my running.
04/10/2010 at 13:38

hels7bels

It looks like your 10k times are trailing off.  It could be the hours you are working since May or maybe you've changed your training. Unless you've reached a life peak in ability your times should generally improve over any 6 month period and, if not, you need to look at what you're doing.

If I were you I'd compare your training and before the May race with recent training and also compare life factors.  You need to come up with some idea as to what is going wrong and the best way initially is to try and do this through comparison, otherwise you'll keep getting slower assuming the trend holds.

Don't accept the decline.

Chris - she's not running a 20k not a half marathon, there's a good 5 minutes between the two distances..  However, you're right - 1:30 just isn't realistic given her current fitness.

04/10/2010 at 14:00

4 hours sleep

Out of the ordinary 20 miles last weekend

Tendonitis

100 hour working weeks

No speedwork

No races for 3 months

Hmm, can't think what could have affected your performance.

Take it easy this week - a couple of short runs with some mini-intervals for sharpness perhaps.  You're not going to do anything to improve your overall fitness in a week, so maybe rest will be the best help.

04/10/2010 at 14:35

100hr working week ? what job do you do ?????

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.