Here come the injuries.. .

So I'm not invincible afterall.. Help!

1 to 20 of 175 messages
03/05/2009 at 21:43

Evening everyone,

So it's exactly 1 week after Stratford Full and all was going well - feeling pretty good, no injuries to report on.. 

Then tonight just towards the end of my run (8 miles or so) I felt a niggling pain right at the top of my outer thigh/side of my bum, almost a ticklish feeling.

Thought it would subside so kept on running until the point where it was SO painful, I had no choice but to stop (trust me, this took some effort!) as the pain was just excruciating.

Feel like an absolute loser now. I know it was just a training run and I shouldn't feel bad as I've ran every day after the Marathon (bad I know) but I can't help beating myself up because I stopped and hobbled the 100 yards back to my house crying in pain like a little girl.

Anyone had this kind of injury before? Not exactly sure how to pinpoint it so obviously it's very hard to start thinking solutions or even temporary relief!

Help

03/05/2009 at 22:57
Sometimes your stride / gait alters after a marathon, temporarily, due to muscle stiffness and that`s one reason why you should`ve been resting. Ice and rest (properly) now!!!
03/05/2009 at 23:05

Oh no!

Sorry to hear that.  I know you said you ran every day, but I did not realise you meant right after the marathon too. Am no expert at all, but I reckon it is your body's way of telling you to ease up and rest.  Treat it as a warning and listen to it.  Hopefully it will ease up in a couple of days and you will be back to your usual speedy self.

Wishing you luck

xx

03/05/2009 at 23:12

Hi Egyptian toe,  Thanks for the advice, I hadnt heard this before.  Its weird as all week I haven't felt stiff or injured whatsoever so i guess thats why its such a shock. We'll see how i feel tomorrow regarding resting!

Red - Thanks for the support, yeah I know its bad of me, I run too much but gennerally feel ok on it. Guess I may finally have to ease off a little, but tough seeing as I'm suh a servivour

P.S had dominos last night - yum. Think I need to go back to virtual food thread to cheer myself up

03/05/2009 at 23:32

Hi D2D, yep your body is trying to tell you something!

Better to take a few days rest now, than potentially be out of action for weeks - those few days will soon pass, your body will be nicely recouperated and you'll be out there clocking up the miles again before you know it.

03/05/2009 at 23:46
Take 3 or 4 days off, then start gently - and stop if it's still there. In the meantime, ice and after a few days maybe get a sports massage
04/05/2009 at 00:13

Thanks for the advice guys, am actually petrified. Never had an injury like this before and it's actually tear-jerkinginly painful just to stand up ;( having to rely on my OH to carry me around the living room - nightmare!

Going to get it checked out at hospital tomorrow if it's still this bad - perhaps I'm being over-cautious but better safe than sorry.

Hoping sleep makes it a bit better

04/05/2009 at 00:14
*jerkingly probably isn't a word but I'm in a desperate state - anything goes!
04/05/2009 at 08:40

D2D...I did not realise the pain was that bad, you must be in agony.

How is it now????  I hope you are ok.

I think Ben and Jerry's might be in order you know.

Let us know how you are

xx

04/05/2009 at 09:20
THAT'S why everybody says a regular rest day is important - or the best part of a week off after a marathon. To protect against these things happening.

Rest and ice. If it's that bad then definitely go to A&E, or book into a good sports physio if you can get a slot tomorrow. FWIW I'd avoid ibuprofen in the meantime - if it's that sudden and severe it might be a torn muscle or something, in which case self treating with NSAIDs can sometimes make it worse.

Take it easy. Whatever it is, it will get better.
04/05/2009 at 09:21
And wash your shorts..
04/05/2009 at 09:57

Thought it would be better after a good night's sleep - turns out it's just the same. Can't physically walk having to grip onto the nearest thing to try and get across a room. It's like ice skating without the ice or the annoying disco lights ;(

Candy - what is NSAIDS?

04/05/2009 at 09:58
Feel like absolute rubbish - a beautiful Bank Holiday and I'm having to spend it doped up on painkillers hobbling here and there ;(
04/05/2009 at 10:00

So sorry it is not right.

I don't know what to suggest really, other than looking after yourself and rest.

04/05/2009 at 10:05

D2D that's such a shame Have you had it checked out yet?

restrestrest. Keep warm, hydrated and eat well - give your body all it needs to heal x

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/05/2009 at 10:08

D2D......get it checked out...........doesn't sound good...........keep icing and resting it today............best treatment for first 48 hours.............no massages at all at this stage...........go to the doctors or a good sports physio............sounds like it could be a tear as it is that painful.................DONT RUN............or you could make it a serious injury.............

good luck and take care.......

04/05/2009 at 10:14
NSAIDS - anti-inflammatories - ibuprofen, aspirin, voltarol, deep heat etc
04/05/2009 at 14:30

Crikey, that does sound bad, I'm really sorry for you. 

Does sound like a torn muscle unfortunately - I remember getting similar when I was just starting out running and upped my mileage too quickly. Obviously not quite the same situation as you, but the result sounds about the same.

Don't do what I did and be tempted to run on it again before it's right - I ended up needing much longer off running than I should have because I was too impatient.

Take care.x

04/05/2009 at 15:41

Just hobbled round Tesco with the OH and am going to try and lift my spirits by trying to make strawberry jam

Taken some Nurofen dissolveable things (urgh - taste like dishwasher tablets) and the pain has lessened a little, still not right though!

Thanks for all the advice

Here's hoping time's a healer.

04/05/2009 at 16:19

If you can get your hands on the pain as it were, try ibuprofen or voltarol gel rather than tablets, you can target it where it really hurts and usually go well over the stated dose without giving yourself a stomach ulcer.  Wear those nice rubber gloves to apply it, then you get more gel into the target area not your hands.

1 to 20 of 175 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.