Hilly Half Marathon Pace Advice

How do you manage it?

3 messages
14/10/2011 at 00:38
I've got a Half Mara coming up in two weeks. I'm determined to beat my PB.

I've run the race before and it has a few challenging hills scattered fairly evenly throughout. Wondered if anyone had any pacing advice in a race where running an even pace is not possible. Apologies if this is a dumb question.
14/10/2011 at 08:45
I work out the overall pace I need to achieve my target time, I then look at the hills and add a bit on in those sections... I then take that time off the flat/ downhill sections to give me the time I need for those bits....

Not very scientific but it seems to work for me... In my last HM I needed an average of 10:18 to get below the 2:15 time.... So, on the flatter sections I tried to keep as close to 9:30 as I could so I knew I had a few minutes in the "bank" to cover the uphill sections !
14/10/2011 at 09:12
I'm gonna have to get the calculator out Muddy.

Determined to get this PB. Missed out by 5 seconds on same course last year, it's been eating at me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.