How best towork out calories burnt?

Heart Rate Monitor or calculations?

6 messages
09/10/2012 at 13:07

Hi,

I am wondering what the most accurate way of working out how many calories i'm burning during running is? If i use formulas from books or websites the figure is always much higher than when i use my HR Monitor. My Monitor is set for my weight and i'm always training at the top end of my HR. Any advice would be great.

cougie    pirate
09/10/2012 at 13:35

There is a calculation on the US Runners world site..

Its just weight multiplied by distance. 

The HR calculation doesnt always work - different monitors will tell you different calories.

For a bloke - a rough guide is about 100 calories a mile. 

09/10/2012 at 15:13

For net calories burnt: (weight in lbs) X 0.63= calories per mile burnt.

As accurate as any other method you'll find.

11/10/2012 at 09:52
Hour monitors can be wildly out and are best ignored. Mine said that I only burnt 60 calaries running 8 miles. I never use my HM now and consider it a waste of money. The Garmin without the hm calculates calaries based on distance and weight.
11/10/2012 at 10:18

Weigh yourself

12/10/2012 at 22:54

I work on 1 mile = 100 calories. That makes for easy calculations, and do you really need to be any more accurate than that?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.