How cold is too cold

1 to 20 of 37 messages
02/02/2012 at 09:01

Hey there

wondering at what point you rest in the cold weather. It was six below zero when I went for a run yesterday and windy. Rather chilly really.

Just wondering if there are any hazards you could think of in very cold temps (except for ice of course)

Thanks

02/02/2012 at 09:32
Over here I would run as long as it wasnt colder than minus 15, wouldnt do any hard rund when its so cold, just steady distance runs.
02/02/2012 at 10:02

Cold will consume people's physical....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let‘s cross the bridge when we come to it
Hogan|Scarpe Hogan

02/02/2012 at 10:10

What are "cold" and "rest"?

I'm yet to experience a temperature that's too cold to run in over the last 2 years or so in the UK, and it was pretty cold last year. I'm a particular fan of hill reps in the snow.

Ice is another matter however, they closed my track last year as it was frozen over . But its usually possible to find somewhere if you take it easy

02/02/2012 at 10:29

I've never been bothered by the cold - at least you don't overheat!  It's easy to make sure you are warm enough.

My bottom goes numb sometimes, but that's not a problem. 

I fell over in the snow a couple of times last winter, but it didn't put me off.

02/02/2012 at 10:52
cold front of thighs if its cold and windy ? Yuk!
02/02/2012 at 11:08

Anyone can run in the summer! It's a sign of the dedicated runner who braves the elements.

It always makes me feel more satisfied after getting my ar$e out of the door when it may be easier to say not today.

02/02/2012 at 11:14
With the right clothing you can run in almost anything, although I guess there comes a time when it ceases being enjoyable. Personally I haven't found it yet and the coldest I've run in was -12C.
02/02/2012 at 11:38
There is something quite satisfying about running in this weather - feels very hard-core.   And as above, it's all down to the right clothing.  I do make sure I wear a gilet or something so that my chest is warm against the cold air.   And I think it makes doing a dynamic warm-up even more important as I definitely get more niggles in cold weather.  I'm not sure why - but I do think my posture can collapse in this weather as I hunch up rather than stand tall until I've warmed up.  And my ear warmers are absolutely essential in winter.
02/02/2012 at 11:44

If it's really cold, thermal tights or thermal tights over normal tights if super chilly!!! I'm ok with a layer or 2 on the top half and a windproof jacket, a couple of pairs of socks! Gloves, ear cover, and I have vaselined under my eyes if they water too!!!

Yak trax on and off to the trails! Alas no snow this year though just the cold, bring on the snow I say!!!

02/02/2012 at 12:02

We'll all look like the Michelin man!!!! 

It's breathing the really cold air that hurts me....and my cheeks and nose.    Full face balaclava may be the only option....just don't run near any banks

I fill my water bottle with hot boiled water, makes a useful handwarmer......and by the time i get thirsty, it's gone cold.

02/02/2012 at 13:39
running last night with x2 pairs of gloves, snood, hat... and took a thermos of tea to the track.. There's no such thing as too cold.
02/02/2012 at 16:49
<blockquote class=quoteheader>beachball wrote (<a href='http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=1&UTN=188049&cp=1#9711765' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>see</a>)<blockquote class=quote>

Anyone can run in the summer! It's a sign of the dedicated runner who braves the elements.

Funny I think the exact opposite. Cold is good but anyone that can go and and run in anything above about 24C is far braver than me.

Edited: 02/02/2012 at 16:50
02/02/2012 at 17:03

I (along with almost 370 other idiots) did the 'Stanbury Splash' fell-race a couple of weeks ago (22nd), & on arrival at the signing-in hut, the posted teperature was 0C, with a 30MPH wind

http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=stanbury

Later on, upon getting home, that worked out to -6C due to the Wind-Chill.

Quite surprisingly though, there was no ice/snow on the route as it previous years, but damned cold before the start (at one point, I had to sit down to stop my legs shaking - after takign off my leggings)

Some runners were in tights, long socks over them, jackets & even balaclavas!!!

Others were just in vests/shorts! I'll admit I went tof the middle-ground; shorts/long-sleeve t-shirt, club vest, woolly hat.

02/02/2012 at 17:47

Put a second layer on top today. Far too warm. Generally I find a second layer is necessary if the canal is frozen, otherwise just shorts and top. However this rule failed me today.

Dynamic warm up is an absolute must for me at anything close to zero or below

02/02/2012 at 19:10

Only snow on the footpaths will stop me running.  A couple of years ago I felt guilty not running during a period of heavy snow and then heard about a clubmate who did run, slipped badly and broke both legs

02/02/2012 at 20:26
-15C or thereabouts is the limit as the cold will start having an effect on your lungs.
Mind you, it depends what you're used to as well.

North of Finland, where I'm from, today on 02/02/2012 at 22:00 the temperature is -25.3 ÂșC
I think it had been -30 this morning. Wouldnt run if I was there now. Might choose the treadmill instead
Edited: 02/02/2012 at 20:27
02/02/2012 at 20:42
Cold doesn't bother me a great deal once I get going. Its only breathing the cold air which isn't very pleasant. Wind is the only thing I really hate when i'm running
02/02/2012 at 20:46
try -32 in Romanina

I went out running tonight in shorts but long top on wooly hat and gloves and soon warmed up when got going
03/02/2012 at 23:01
no matter what the weather I've yet to feel the need to wear more than shorts on my lower half. If you're legs are getting cold when running, you've gotta be doing something wrong...
1 to 20 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.