How does Gordon Ramsey manage to do 1:30 half marathons??

15 messages
07/11/2012 at 11:51
In an interview I heard he said that he used to run to and from work every day which could be where he makes up his mileage.
07/11/2012 at 11:53
Plus he has 4 active kids. I'd spend most of my time out running too.
seren nos    pirate
07/11/2012 at 12:11

I imagine he is very focused.so if a run is planned then he will get out there and do it whatever.........

cougie    pirate
07/11/2012 at 12:22

Apparently he's a really decent boss.  According to a mate of mine who knew him anyway. 

I dont think that 1.30 Half scales up very well to his full times though in London  ? So he's probably lacking in the long runs.

seren nos    pirate
07/11/2012 at 12:24

he seems to suffer cramp badly on the london runs so i think you could be right there Cougie

07/11/2012 at 12:26

He isnt always cooking on gas then.....!

And he did play professional football as a youngster so must have had a decent level of fitness

07/11/2012 at 13:17

He's always training for marathons, so he'll put in plenty of mileage which will comfortably see him to a sub 1hr 30.

If he wanted a sub 1hr 25 he might struggle with his commitments...

07/11/2012 at 13:21
carterusm wrote (see)

And he did play professional football as a youngster so must have had a decent level of fitness

errm - no he didn't play pro football. he was on trial with Rangers as a teenager but he never actually played for them as a pro - he only played in a couple of non-league games as a triallist, got injured, and took up cooking instead.  his football career is largely myth

07/11/2012 at 13:27
fat buddha wrote (see)
carterusm wrote (see)

errm - no he didn't play pro football. he was on trial with Rangers as a teenager but he never actually played for them as a pro - he only played in a couple of non-league games as a triallist, got injured, and took up cooking instead.  his football career is largely myth

There is a debate about this: Ramsey claimed he did indeed play 2 first team matches. Rangers state he only played one testomonial match which, as you quite rightly state, would mean he did not indeed play professional. One would probably have to agree with Rangers on this so I stand corrected oh fat one 

07/11/2012 at 13:51

FFS! He's mega rich, works for himself, has no one to answer to, he can train whenever he damn well likes!

07/11/2012 at 14:19
lardarse wrote (see)

FFS! He's mega rich, works for himself, has no one to answer to, he can train whenever he damn well likes!

He used to tell his missus that he was going out for a run - she's got wise to that one so now  his running time is restricted to the treadmill where he can be seen. Thats what happens to naughty boys.

Seriously though, a lean fit and healthy guy should be able to run 1:30 off the mileage he probably does. It not exactly Alan Murchison results:

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=95278

He does only have the one michelin star though, so I'm sure Ramsey reminds him  

cougie    pirate
07/11/2012 at 14:31

I'm sure there's a gag about Fast Food in here somewhere. 

That's very impressive. 

07/11/2012 at 14:50

I think Murchison has an advantage in that he regularly trains with Louise Damen (2:30 GB Mara runner).

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/11/2012 at 20:30

Ramsey's put in some half-decent marathon times in the past I think.

Edited: 07/11/2012 at 20:31
Blisters    pirate
09/11/2012 at 12:33

Don't forget that he's also done the Comrades ultra in both directions. He knows about training, finding the time is entirely another challenge. I have huge respect for the man. I met him at the London marathon start one year, when he gave a right dressing down to Jade Goody (Remember her? No? No surprises then).

When he does London marathon he is doing is as a public race against Michel Roux junior. I find that encapsulates the spirit of the mass event.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.