How does it make you feel, when you get a new PB?

21 to 34 of 34 messages
16/12/2013 at 15:34

I would call that 'regaining fitness' i think. You cannot compartentalise your running life into phases and start the clock again completely afresh. A pb is for life, or until it is beaten

I am mildly confused, are you talking about improving times in training runs or official race pb's?

16/12/2013 at 17:42

For me personally right now, training runs. 

16/12/2013 at 22:35

Thanks running guru! 

Ahh, it is a nice feeling for a few weeks getting into (or back into) training and getting PBs every week.  Found that with my cycling time trials this summer, but then did realise they would eventually level out and wouldn't be getting them very often any more unless really worked much harder! (Those were the days!). Makes getting a PB again when they are not so often even sweeter.

Well done though and it's a great way to see progress, they are very motivating when you need it the most.

seren nos    pirate
17/12/2013 at 08:10

Its not a wise thing to do though after injury or time off.......each week trying to run faster and faster......

it means that you will not be listening to your body to see how its coping.......it means that you are concentrating too much on speed and not letting your body get back to fitness slowly.

leaves no room for slow recovery runs and cutback recovery runs.......and the need to go faster and faster will really increase your chances of getting injured......and back to square one

17/12/2013 at 08:34

I can see your point of view. The main emphasis for me, is quality over quantity. To that end I don't do recovery runs or slow runs. I'm either all in or I'm off. Part of my job is to take part in mandatory fitness sessions. If it is session which involves a run, i don't control the pace of the run, so I won't always be training to my suggested training pace times. 

17/12/2013 at 09:01

Guru- I think its long been established that over the long term the best way to running gains is a decent mix of easy running. Not least because this safely develops all the other muscles and tendons and you don't have to back off every six weeks due to an injury then start again. Your better off training far less severely and getting in say 26 weeks without a niggle than doing six on two off due to niggles.

17/12/2013 at 11:51

How does it make me feel?

Annoyed- because it throws into sharp relief how muchfaster id be if I had been running like this in my 20s

17/12/2013 at 13:27
I echo Nayan???s remarks about wishing I could have done what I can do now ??? sooner.

Having just gained a PB at Newbury Parkrun [ideal for PBs btw: extremely flat terrain; disused airfield] this new milestone has acted as a huge incentive for me to improve week-on-week.

To sum up my feelings: bittersweet -- that I wished I???d done this before when younger, yet elated -- and feeling proud to now be a good ???late developer??? in a running sense..

Work hard/play hard/run harder!
17/12/2013 at 14:04
Why do apostrophes convert to question marks like that? -in prev posting. Annoying. I wonder if straight quotes work instead..
17/12/2013 at 14:16
Hi Stan - glad you are enjoying Newbury and calling it FLAT.

Trying to improve week on week could well hold you back. One of the things you will see at Newbury are people obviously running within themselves for a number of weeks before a PB attempt. I am often one of those 25-30 min people:??)

Smarter not harder is the key to improvement
Train Smart /Race easy

If I ever get another PB in a running race I will be stunned, I do however have a modest goal of running the same time I ran last winter as a non runner.

When I got PBs I felt I deserved them for all the hard work I put in. I was usually satisfied. Except my marathon PB which was a terrible run and all I felt was disappointment. Fortunately there was always another race another distance.

Gobi - (Newbury voice of race direction)
17/12/2013 at 14:21

You mean you deserved the Pb for all the smart work you put in. For the record smart and hard are not opposites. You need to work hard but be smart about how and when you do it.

17/12/2013 at 15:28
No they are linked 100% but most people think the road to a PB is go harder when in reality it is smarter that is needed.

I train hard where needed but I train smart
18/12/2013 at 10:39
Smart and hard - I buy this. Thanks for insight/knowedge share.
18/12/2013 at 10:40
knowledge.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.