How easy is it to teach yourself to run differently?

1 to 20 of 66 messages
15/03/2007 at 16:33
Running with a friend the other day he pointed out that I should perhaps alter my running style; try to cultivate that nice midfoot striking thing. (Coach tells me off for my toe striking too.)

However, I'm sure I recall people saying not to worry too much about changing whatever feels natural. And, it's all very well to try to alter one's style, but is kind of hard to maintain.

Anyone successfully altered theirs?
15/03/2007 at 16:59
I agree - the same thoughts crossed my mind but I was told that your natural running style was natural for a reason :-) That's not to say that tiny tweaks aren't possible and over time your natural running style may alter - e.g. your stride length may get a bit longer. But unless you're categorically doing something that's "wrong" and/or going to cause you an injury, I think best just to stick with what you've got. Take a look at any runners in races - there are all sorts of weird and wonderful gaits (and don't even get me started on shapes and sizes)!
15/03/2007 at 17:13
Your coach should know better, unless he/she has spotted a specific problem causing an injury.

Nothing wrong with a forefoot strike. In general, anyway.
15/03/2007 at 17:15
<Huge wanders off to gather thoughts>
15/03/2007 at 17:25
Chases lyra with big pin to see if it changes her running style
15/03/2007 at 17:26
the Pose peeps will be along shortly:-)))

I have found it very easy to teach myself to run differently -

slower:-))
15/03/2007 at 17:28
Hello SB

haven't seen you around recently.

Still training and racing on liquid, alcoholic intakes?:-)))
15/03/2007 at 17:32
lol yes i am actually, i am still here, on all the race threads i'm doing, Lochaber, Edinburgh and Loch Ness maras and a few other random ones.. ;o)
15/03/2007 at 17:37
ooooohhhh m*rathons - long way for my old bones:-))

After FLM this year I think I shall consign them to history.

Hope yours go well - kep up the liquid training - you do very well on it:-))
15/03/2007 at 17:41
lol i am too :) we all say we will only do one mara...... i've done 3 now
15/03/2007 at 17:48
I've spent nearly a year with ChiRunning and I'm beginning to feel as if I'm getting there. But I'm someone who took years to learn to drive so I'm probably not typical. Driving is relevant because it's a matter of awareness and coordination as is changing running style. For all sorts of reasons I'm glad I've made the effort.
15/03/2007 at 17:50
i just run like i did like a lad just a bit slower but need to ask(been scared before) chi pose WTF?
explain slowly and loudly as if speaking to a forgien person
15/03/2007 at 17:52
TT

I thought you came from that foreign land where men were men and sheep were afraid:-))
15/03/2007 at 17:52
theres a whole book about it, i dont think it can be explained in a few lines!
15/03/2007 at 17:53
WHOLE BOOK on how to run!

It better take at least 10 minutes off my PB for that like TI does for swim!

I will look this up. I may be some time or in shock
15/03/2007 at 18:01
Chi and Pose are different processes but with an underlying philosophy that great benefits can be obtained in running, and reduction in injury, through adopting a style of running that emphasises the position of the foot and leg in a "neutral" state.

Body weight is smoothly transferred from one foot to another through concentrating on a mid foot strike with little toe off or backlift (and certainly no heel strike!!) making it, it is claimed, a more efficient running style.

there are long standing threads on the Forum on both.
15/03/2007 at 18:03
hmmmmm i tend not to heel strike anyway so........i may be running a style like it anyway?
15/03/2007 at 18:07
15/03/2007 at 18:15
whisper it quietly - but I mid foot strike naturally anyway - so I find it difficult to disagree with the concept.

It just the zeal of converts to all aspects of it, thin soled shoes et al, that worries me a bit. Some peeps are not as bio mechanically conditioned or suited to running as others and whether they can all convert successfully I do not know
15/03/2007 at 18:15
This may take some time!
1 to 20 of 66 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.