How low do you go?....

Resting heart rate

21 to 40 of 54 messages
08/09/2012 at 23:42
64 lying in bed. Oh dear.
09/09/2012 at 15:21

Usually late 40s, sometimes early 50s if feeling ropey.

Frightening thing is I've had to have several medical tests because, according to my Garmin, and the Polar, I bought to double check, it can go up to 240 on a long,hot run!!!! Not doing hill or intervals,(180 max) - just when I'm doing a very long run. My doctors were adamant that I'm not going to drop, and the medical advice was not to wear my monitor as they think it's partly down to anxiety.

Incidently, my mum was a champion, record-holding cyclist, in the 1950s, who's heart rate was so low, she had doctors waiting to test her coming off the tracks and velodromes.

Oh, and I'm 55. 

Edited: 09/09/2012 at 15:22
09/09/2012 at 18:31

47 yrs old rhr about 34.

seren nos    pirate
09/09/2012 at 18:38

Mr Puffy...........glad I'm not the only only.........

Phil.your is amazing............I stand outside my house waiting for the garmin to get signal and my HRis aroiund 100.as soon as I d#satrt running its up to 140 before I get to the corner..............I have to run slower than 11 min miling to keep it under 150

going to do a max test this week.........relaised I was late to pick up my son late thursday night and ran at 9 min miling............my HR was over 200 for the whole mile and a half

11/09/2012 at 08:35

Usually 50-55. I meant to check it this morning but forgot. Female, 38.

11/09/2012 at 08:53

25! but fit, severe diet and sitting in a freezing cold house could have had something to do with it. 

Well over 20 since I first laid hands on a Polar unit, I consider the whole heart-rate/training issue meaningless. 

11/09/2012 at 09:00

25?!  I've heard of cyclists like Miguel Indurain being in that sort of vicinity, but then I've also heard (read it on the interweb so it must be true) about cyclists in the EPO heyday having to get up in the middle of the night for a quick burst on the exercise bike just to keep their heart going! 

11/09/2012 at 09:03

I thought Indurain's was 27, and it was one of the lowest ever recorded?

11/09/2012 at 09:36
45ish.

220 - age seems to actually work in my case for max heart rate. If I go up to 190, I'm coming to a halt very shortly.
11/09/2012 at 15:00

I use a little app in the iphone by azumio called Heart Rate. It has dipped as low as 44 while truly resting, but normally say watching the TV in an evening it will be low 50s. I'm 55, have run quite a few maras in the last few years and run about 3Kkm/yr so I don't expect it to get any lower unless I'm foolish enough to make a step jump in training quantity :/

11/09/2012 at 20:02

Usually 40-42 first thing in the morning or last thing at night when I've been lounging watching TV for a couple of hours. Usually late 40s to mid/ late 50s during the day.

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 20:03
12/09/2012 at 08:24
I have an interesting follow up question......

Assuming a low resting heart rate is a good thing, and the lower it is the fitter you are ( at least cardiovascularly), what does it mean if your heart rate goes up really quickly when you exercise?

I know that it's meant to be a good sign of fitness if your heart rate falls rapidly after exercise, but is there any meaning in having a "free-revving" heart which can really shoot up as soon as you start doing anything?

YP
12/09/2012 at 08:36
YoungPup wrote (see)
I have an interesting follow up question...... 

I know that it's meant to be a good sign of fitness if your heart rate falls rapidly after exercise, but is there any meaning in having a "free-revving" heart which can really shoot up as soon as you start doing anything?

YP

I think there's a two-part answer to that.  The first answer is - I don't know!  But the second part of the answer is, it's probably not worth worrying about in practical terms, because how are you going to reliably measure such a leap in heart rate?  It's at the very beginning of an exercise session, when your chest strap is all dry and not making proper contact, that a HRM is most likely to give a false reading; it's precisely in the first mile or so of a run that I pay absolutely no attention to what the HRM is telling me, because if it says a figure that sounds too high I don't believe it anyway.

On the other hand, I'm no cardiologist.  If you do appear to be getting reliable readings on a regular basis that concern you, get it checked out.

Dubai Dave    pirate
12/09/2012 at 08:43

RHR 42 ish, Max 182 which makes a mockery of the 220 - Age. Aged 55. 

have no idea re free reeving hearts but if your recover quickly it has to be good. 

25/09/2012 at 19:30

I'm 39, and my resting HR is usually around 42, but once when I really tried to relax I had it down to 38.  Last year when I was training hard I had my HR up to 181 and I wasn't flat out.  For some reason now I can only get it up to 166.  I think that's because my cardio fitness it stronger than my legs, but not sure! 

26/09/2012 at 08:32

53 years old, 50 resting 190 max and still slow 

26/09/2012 at 08:51

I wore my heart rate monitor for the first time a few weeks ago. I was a few miles into a run and going up a steep hill as I watched my HR creep up and up and up. It got to 342 before I realised my watch was displaying the calories and not my BPM !

26/09/2012 at 10:16

Only recently started recording my resting/waking HR. Usually 54 when I wake, and I noticed my max was 190 earlier this year, I don't suppose that changes much, but I expect my resting HR will go down with more training (I'm 34 and just returning to running after a break).

26/09/2012 at 12:26

Age 58 rhr 42, when I chill in the evening it will dip to 36-38.  Most regular runners and cyclists will have much lower than average rates as a result of the effect the exercise has on your heart muscle.  

Because of the profile given to sudden cardiac problems when the footballer Fabrice Muamba collapsed last season all the Team GB athletes for the Olympics had to undergo extensive testing and the results show lots of heart anomalies mainly with the electrical control of it and lots of bradycardia which is what we are all talking about here.  

Two of the team had to agree to ablation, a process which sort of switches off an electrical circuit in the heart, before they would be allowed to compete. Of course no names or which sports they were in were released

26/09/2012 at 13:22

Cartersum 

RHR 45 Max 185 also 55 years old so and having beeniing running for over 20 years (knackered now) so much line with other old fools on here!

21 to 40 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.