How much hydration??

How much is enough??

6 messages
10/01/2003 at 14:12
I always have this fear of not hydrating enough before a run, this does not usually cause me a problem if I am running in the evening, but if I do a long training run at the weekend, I seem to have to end up diving behind a bush after a few miles.

Usually my weekend runs start early as I need the rest of the day to get on with things I can’t get done during the week. I get up about an hour or so before I go out running to give my body time to wake up and have a glass of juice and a yoghurt.

I usually drive out for about 10 minutes to get away from suburbia to do my run and, hey ho, by the time I get to my destination, ……. – yes, I do go before I leave!!!!

I tend to have a glass of water by the bed and usually find I drink this during the night. I am only tiny so how much liquid do I really need??? I must be taking in too much otherwise I would no be getting rid of so much.

I do drink loads of water during the day, and have done for the past couple of years, to try and cut back on caffeine.

I suppose the answer to this is pretty obvious, not take in so much liquid before I go for a run but how much is how much, I suppose this could be down to your individual body requirements and mine seem to be that I need very little liquid.

So, do we believe everything we are told about drinking two litres a day? Or do I just drink less and risk dehydrating, or am I being over cautious. I do usually take a drink with me if I am running over 6 miles. And why does it seem to be a problem in the mornings and not the evenings.

Again, not usually a problem with races as they normally start later in the morning but I am usually the last one in the queue at the loos.
10/01/2003 at 14:31
Sorry , not much use on this being a bloke, cos we can wee anywhere we like!!
10/01/2003 at 14:39
Isn't the colour of the wee the measure, so to speak. If it's clear you are hydrated.
Creosote mate... we can and usually do!!
10/01/2003 at 15:37
Was reading an article that said that the 2litre thing was a bit of a myth - well not so much a myth, but get a lot of water from foodstuffs etc so whilst may require an average (depending on climate, exercise etc) of 2 litres of liquid a day, a fair amount of this will come from apparently dry(ish) substances. Rule of thumb is to check that your urine is pale yellow in colour.
10/01/2003 at 15:46
I think it is about being comfortable with the amount you have had to drink and knowing yourself. Do the urine check as a matter of course. I think it depends to a certain extent on if you plan to drink whilst you run also. A lot of people say that if you don't need to pee, you should have drunk more!
10/01/2003 at 16:04
Whizzy, if it makes you feel better, I have upped my intake of water lately and I do find that I am making more visits to the loo... but if the "experts" reckon I should be drinking water, then so be it!

I must say that I don't really experience any problems when out running, but i do tend to have a couple of pit stops passing the bathroom whilst getting ready for my run... that usually does the trick!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.