How much money do you spend on running?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
26/06/2012 at 06:31

Good question

The running gear and shoes  I started running in in 1980s is now selling again as 'Retro' from adidas, nike and Puma.

'During the war'

It doesn't have to be an expensive sport. Last seasons shoes / kit can be bought cheaper.

Also the breathable running kit is now quite cheap ot buy. A vast improvement on the old cotton T-Shirts and vests.

Edited: 26/06/2012 at 06:33
26/06/2012 at 08:14
I think it's very true that running doesn't have to be an expensive sport, and I definitely agree that the payback in terms of health, well being, and enjoyment far exceeds the 100s of pounds I've spent on running kit.

I also think Stephen Forde makes a very good point when he says there are a lot of people (typically middle aged men) who have all the fancy equipment, but probably haven't spent anywhere near enough time training... the cliches "cash rich, time poor" and "all the gear, but no idea" spring to mind...

So, for beginners coming into this sport, I would say it's one of the most accessible, cheapest sports you can do - all you need is a pair of running shoes, shorts, socks and a tshirt.... However, for the addicts amongst us ( and I include myself here ), I think it can become as expensive as you're willing to make it.

<* YoungPup exits the thread to continue researching what type of lightweight racer should be his next purchase as part of an assault on his 10mile and 1/2 marathon PB's *>
26/06/2012 at 11:50

for me it's the start fitness web sit and choose the cheeps thing they have as i don't have a big cash out lay so it tends to be a lot of more miles stuff having said that i never had any problem with the gear I've bought

26/06/2012 at 12:05

There is a Nike outlet store near us.

So I have their dry fit miler t-shirts at £13, tempo shorts around £12 and a pair of short leggings at £15 which seems reasonble to me, no idea if others think that's ok or outrageous.

26/06/2012 at 21:01

Shoes - Ufually around £100 though last year spent a bit more due to getting some racing flats and off-road shoes as well as a new pair of road trainers

Clothing - probably at least £100.  Usual stuff, shorts, tights, socks, t-shirts.  Don't buy these things every year as I usually expect to get a fair amount of wear out of them, but you'd be surprised how it mounts up.

Races - £50-£100.  Always enter a local race series which consists of three 5ks and two 10ks as well as the annual 10k and 5k races put on by my local borough council.  Also enter the series of trail races in which my club is involved.  Tend to stick to the inexpensive local races and avoid the more expensive races (you all know the ones I mean).

So all in all, I'd say about £300.

Pethead    pirate
27/06/2012 at 23:35

If club colours didn't exist, running would be an exceptionally cheap sport, as I'd only have to buy shoes (£50 a pair) shorts (£5 a pair) and race entries (free t-shirts included). 
Instead, I have over £100 worth of garish kit that I've been obliged to buy at one timeor another - yeah, thanks UKA!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.