How much we have changed

Do you recognise this portrait of an athletic nation?

6 messages
17/11/2004 at 09:56
"We pride ourselves on being ...the first athletic nation. We have many assets that should make us so. Our public school games are, one and all, of incalculable help towards the many assets demanded in an international competition. By favour of these, the youngster, unknown to himself, is putting in his ground work, in conjunction with a national temperament that has, in the past pulled off big things. Pluck, patience, enterprise, equanimity in loss, restraint in victory, suppleness of limb, are all indirectly taught the schoolboy, and if he can be kept up to the mark set by all public schools, no more can, or should be, expected of him. He is undergoing the fullest training that any healthy lad should be subjected to."

Yes, this is Britain, as described in Andrews H. Training for the track, field and road with some hints on health and fitness. 1st ed. London: Stanley Paul and Co, 1920
17/11/2004 at 10:02
So women werent invented in 1920 then?

It all sounds a bit pervy to me.

"suppleness of limb"

Yeah, I bet
17/11/2004 at 10:07
This is the same Britain we live in yeah?
soc
17/11/2004 at 11:01
Does the training involve pulling off big things?
17/11/2004 at 11:07
I'm using all my pluck to pull off something big right now
17/11/2004 at 11:21
LOL Limited view, after the rest of the world joined in, there is not much left of the first athletic nation.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.