How Obsessed am I?

Is this normal?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
12/08/2012 at 14:53

Hi Running eye,

Slacking a bit there arn't you?  Same age as you,  similar time running - started in April 11 -  and I have already have a GFA place for the 2013 London marathon.

If you want to get faster you are going to need to join a club that has some structured speed sessions.  You should be doing interval sessions of some sort at least once a week plus at least one tempo run of around 6-8 miles.  Not on subsequent days of course, nor next to your long run day.  It is not just the total milage you do it is the quality of that milage,  If you want to race fast then you will have to to train fast.  The McMillan pace calculater will give you an idea of how hard to run your training sessions.  For me it gave c6 m/m interval pace; 6.20 or less tempo, c6.40 steady and anything between 7 and 8 for my long runs. Based on a 1.24 HM PB.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

12/08/2012 at 17:05
Have to disagree that you have to join a running club, nor that you need to do an interval session plus tempo in the same week. For such a young running age that is quite heavy week in week out. Train fast to race fast is not typical advice that I have received on the forum. Train specific to the distance you are racing is though.

I tried my local club. Club intervals were aimed towards VO2 max improvement. For my aims (marathon sub GFA) that was not appropriate. I eventually settled on P&D Advanced Marathoning schedules. Typically 1 long run, 1 tempo, and then a number of easy paced miles are involved. Personally, if I did one tempo, and one interval every week, I think the wheels would have come off by now.
12/08/2012 at 19:11
Surrey Runner wrote (see)

For me it gave c6 m/m interval pace; 6.20 or less tempo, c6.40 steady and anything between 7 and 8 for my long runs. Based on a 1.24 HM PB.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

A decent guide, but the easy paces come out a little sharp at the faster end... 7mins per mile for example, is not easy pace by any means for a 1:24 half man.

13/08/2012 at 22:12

thanks everyone some really helpfull feedback.

I have only got upto 50 miles a week for the last 6 weeks but intend to keep around that until end of the year then i guess i will increase toward the VLM.

Just back from camping to late to run tonight so will be a morning run tomorrow for me, think I will take the majority advice and run most of my miles around 8 mm pace including my long run,with 1 - 2 speed sessions in per week.

My pb are all from time trial training runs-only ever done 2 timed offical events HM in may 1:40 and park run April 20:50. Most people tell me that what I can run in a training time trial would be better in a race-that remains to be seen!

I will work on the above for the GNR in about 5 weeks and then will need advice / training plan for working upto the VLM. 

My only worry about obsessing is getting injured

13/08/2012 at 23:17

Race days are funny things, when my pacing is right I can usually expect to knock off between 30 secs to 1 min in a 10K over a practice time trial. Most people do. It will have something to do with the small taper to race day, the crowd, that competitive spirit that tells you to catch the person in front and the fact that the timing is official.

If you can find a local 10K on the flat I think you'd have a good bash at sub 40 mins, for as long at you ensured that each half mile was around 3:10-3:12.....and allowing for a chilled out few days before race day.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.