How safe do you feel running in the dark?

21 to 37 of 37 messages
31/10/2012 at 11:27

Very happy running in the dark, as long as I've got a head torch and something high vis to wear. The biggest risk at the moment is slipping on wet leaves or tripping on uneven paving stones hidden by leaves. I'm not afraid of being attacked or anything like that, I've lived in London my whole life - including some really not nice parts - and never ever had a problem. I think if you are going to be attacked its just as likely to happen walking home from work in the dark as it is going for a run.

31/10/2012 at 12:24

As others have said it's the trip fall risk that worries me most. I was out early one morning last week and it had been a really wet and windy night . I nearly put paid to all my training as I spotted a large tree branch right in front of me when a car was passing. Luckily my last second hurdle worked but it could have been disaster.

I have a good head torch and it was that which saved me but only just.

I did also worry when I found I was out a lot at the same time of day on the same route, I'm not keen on that as it gives people the chance to plan which I feel is more likely than a random in the moment act as it were.

Finally I go out lit up like a Christmas tree and say hello to everyone I meet, wave at cars etc I figure it's a good thing to be noticed just in case the worst happens someone will remember seeing me before hand. Apparently it can also put people off if they realise you are being noticed.

As ever there's no guarantees in life, but life's to short to stay at home.

31/10/2012 at 12:30
xine267 wrote (see)

I think if you are going to be attacked its just as likely to happen walking home from work in the dark as it is going for a run.

This is my thinking too.  I don't feel worried walking home from the station, so why should I need to worry about running in the dark?

People (my Mum for one) who say "it's to dangerous to run alone in the dark" seem to not see this.

31/10/2012 at 12:54

I've got no choice unless I drive to the nearest town (which I do twice a week to run with the club). The last few nights have been so bright that I haven't needed the headtorch to see, just to be visible. Moonlight is "flat light" like the headtorch, but its ok on the lanes if you don't go too fast. It is a different matter off road, though, so I tend to avoid this in the dark.

JvR
31/10/2012 at 17:09

I feel safe running in the dark as the routes I use are pretty well lit. I wouldn't head off into the country lanes though purely in case I tripped or something.

Latest I've been out running is 9pm so there are still a fair few people around, earliest is about 5:30 but that was about the end of March when it was getting lighter.
Even then the worst I had was the pair of idiots in a car that decided to do a u-turn in a road ahead of me, lost control, hit the bollard in the middle of the road by the crossing, careered into the pavement on the other side of the road and ripped one of the tyres off the car before heading back the way they'd come on 3 tyres and a bare wheel.

31/10/2012 at 19:52

I run on lanes with no problem at all without a headtorch, not necessary at all. Off road is a different matter though.

02/11/2012 at 15:05

I feel quite safe running in the morning around 6 am when it is dark, one thing I would advise is try to always let someone know the route you intend to take. I tell my boyfriend the night before my route and make sure his phone is at the side of his sleeping head when I leave

02/11/2012 at 16:25

As said earlier in this thread I often run a trail early in the morning, about 5.15am start.  Took a tumble this morning, not sure what my foot caught but under the carpet of leaves, which then provided me with a great carpet to slide along on my front

Few scrapes on knees and elbow and mud everywhere, looked a fine sight but then at that time of the morning nobody sees you, even managed to sneak into the shower before the OH saw me, mind you she might find some of the mud around the house later

02/11/2012 at 16:49

I can see why a woman might feel safer carrying a phone, but do any men? I neither tell anyone where i'm going, and I certainly don't carry a phone, too much hassle and pointless.

02/11/2012 at 19:09
I don't take my phone or tell anyone where I'm going, other than just saying 'I'm off round the bike path/big dipper/braes' to my partner. I don't have room in my waist pack for my iPhone and would worry about it getting soaked/dropped but have considered getting a small basic PAYG phone to take on long runs and bike rides just in case of emergencies. Wouldn't like to have to walk 10 miles home with a sprained ankle or pushing a broken bike just cause I didn't have either a phone or money for a taxi/train with me!
02/11/2012 at 19:51
kittenkat wrote (see)
lardarse wrote (see)

I can see why a woman might feel safer carrying a phone, but do any men? I neither tell anyone where i'm going, and I certainly don't carry a phone, too much hassle and pointless.

Funny enough, on my run in the dark last night I was thinking about the phone thing. A phone could make you more of a target to muggers plus if you were really in a serious emergency, could you get it out of the arm pouch or pocket in time enough to actually use it? I have my doubts.

I dunno, you'd have to weigh that one up.

If you fell and actually hurt yourself or twisted your ankle, and couldn't walk, you would be able to call someone to come and get you.

(No-one would want to steal my ancient phone!)

02/11/2012 at 21:14

I avoid roads without pavements at night.  Plus low lieing branches are a bit of a concern.....

Not that concerned about muggers, run too fast for them.

03/11/2012 at 10:25

The area I live in i've got more chance of meeting the Pope than being mugged.

When I first started I massively over did it, went from 4 mile runs to 9 to 13 in one week! lol ...it seemed easy at the time, until I went out again and did my knee in, had to limp a very slow 7 miles home, not even walking pace, but I got over it, if i'd had a phone i'd have lost all bragging rights to the story, and would've looked like a pansy phoning the girfriend saying "i've hurt my knee" ;)

03/11/2012 at 12:26

. I carru my phone for two reasons - 1) I use it as an ipod and 2) I've recent;y moved and have used the map on it a few times!

03/11/2012 at 17:05

I've never worried about getting mugged, but am now more concerned over tripping as I'm currently recovering from a sprained ankle from falling of a kerb in the dark. I won't be running in the dark without a torch again.  

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
04/11/2012 at 20:42

I'm night blind and can't run in the dark.

cougie    pirate
04/11/2012 at 20:47

Never mind running in the dark - I met a chap today whilst out cycling - he was running round a blind bend clad all in black - in the shade too,  and with ipod on and looking down at the ground.  Good job one of us was looking where we were going. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.