How safe is it to run alone after dark?

Youth's/hoddies

1 to 20 of 33 messages
06/03/2013 at 14:04

Hi guys, im looking at running after work on the roads but im abit worried about gangs of youths etc that tend to lurk around, has anybody ever had any trouble with things like this?

06/03/2013 at 14:05

Not where I live, but obviously it depends where you live.

If I lived in South London or Bradford I wouldnt do it.

06/03/2013 at 14:06

where i live in stoke is hit and miss, but i feel like im cheating myself on the treadmill at the gym

06/03/2013 at 14:14

Maybe I'm complacent, but there are very very few places where I wouldn't run.  How many times do you read about runners getting beaten up?

06/03/2013 at 14:16

thats my point when im thinking about it in my head, you never really hear about it so im assuming most runners are left alone, i could always "run off " if i came into problems, excuse the pun!!

06/03/2013 at 14:22

Well lets play this out logically.

How many runners do you know would go out running with their wallets and phones? Not very many, so what incentive does it serve for someone to mug you?

Secondly you are running, so they first have to go about stopping you, as opposed to the easy target who is strolling along the street, who would you pick if you were a mugger?

Thirdly, if youre a runner, you probably keep fit and go to the gym, so why would a mugger voluntarily take on someone who looks after themselves when there would be plenty of other easy targets.

06/03/2013 at 14:28

well said, if i get mugged tonight il blame you dave! haha

06/03/2013 at 14:33

i doubt you'll be mugged but people will call you names or shout abuse.

06/03/2013 at 14:36

What Skotty said is true, only last night I was out running and I heard someone  yelling 'w.nker' at me ...... if it hadn't of been my stepfather, I would have gone back and had words.

06/03/2013 at 15:12

I've often been told I shouldn't run in the dark on my own, as it's "too dangerous".

I then ask why it's so dangerous to run at, say 7.00 pm, when I have to walk home from the station in the dark at 6.00 pm for half the year, but that's not dangerous.  There's never an answer for that.

As DF says, you're less of a target because you've no wallet, and you're clearly fit and able.

I get occasional comments from the local yoof, but nothing even vaguely threatening.  Sometimes they try and run along, but they don't last long!

06/03/2013 at 15:31

Apart from anything else, if you work 9-5 you have to run in the dark at certain times of the year (whether morning or evening) or you'd only be able to do it at weekends.

Only you know  where the dodgy areas are near where you live - avoid them. 

But you should still expect to get heckled from time to time. Some people are morons I'm afraid.

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 15:32
06/03/2013 at 15:32

or you use a gym like me.

cougie    pirate
06/03/2013 at 15:38
Its probably just as safe as when you asked the same question last year ?
06/03/2013 at 15:44

that was regards to running on country lanes you'll probably find and the use of headlights/reflective gear

06/03/2013 at 16:25

tom , what part of stoke?

06/03/2013 at 16:28

Tunstall mate, my plan is to go up though porthill/wolstanton/basford/etruria and back up to high lane through festival park. Ive run it with friends but one of the guys i normally go with has picked up an injury

06/03/2013 at 16:30
cougie wrote (see)

yeah thats a little weird.

06/03/2013 at 16:33
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
cougie wrote (see)

yeah thats a little weird.

last year i was asking about running lights reflective gear etc, probably had a similiar title but different content entirely, so not so much "wierd" i wouldnt say...

06/03/2013 at 16:35

ok fair enough ....... apologies there Tom

I knew someone who came from Stoke, and I'll be honest, he was less than complimentary about it (his words not mine, Ive never been, so wouldnt have a clue)

06/03/2013 at 17:14
I run late in the dark . People say it's dangerous but I don't feel anymore at risk , young people have never paid attention and don't really bother me , they hang about nearer the houses , like comments above, I don't think runners are really a potential target , we pass by too quickly. Tbh, I think individuals , runners, dog walkers etc, are more intimidated by them , they prob don't give a 2nd thought to us at all and are just hanging about being bored together and generally misunderstood. Anyway the dark doesn't stop me getting on with my life
1 to 20 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.