How to run 10k under 42 minutes

Help me please!

6 messages
07/11/2012 at 20:33

I can run 5 miles around 35~36 mins. I can run half marathon around 1 hour 41 mins. Can I run 10k about 42 mins? Is this possible? I have about 2 weeks to train for the 10k. What is my goal should be? 43 mins? What should I do within these 2 weeks? Thanks!

08/11/2012 at 09:48

Mcmillan pace calculator gives you a time of 45mins for the 10k based on your HM time.  It also gives 36 mins for 5 miles, so it seems consistent.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator

10/11/2012 at 16:52
If you've got two weeks left there's not too much you can do really. I would aim for a solid sub 45 and take it from there. In the future though, two words - mile repeats! They are my staple for running PB's. If you can run mile reps at race pace with short recoveries (60sec) it gives confidence to perform during a race, as well as developing pace in a meaningful way.
10/11/2012 at 21:11

My pbs are similar:  HM - about 1.41 10k - 41.57 and 5 miles 34.50 - all very much done in the days of my youth, and after a few months of practice including speed sessions/hilly runs to build up stamina.

10/11/2012 at 21:30

I wouldn't have thought there's a lot you could do in just 2 weeks except get yourself mentally focussed and dig deep on race day. You might surprise yourself!

18/11/2012 at 21:22
Hi Daniel,

From your times i would think that 43 minutes should be achievable - will depend on how hilly/flat the course is though!

Even with only 2 weeks left you could add in some speedwork to your runs - i would consider doing mile repeats at the target goal pace. Try doing a session with 3 mile repeats at 43min pace with 1'30 mins rest in between.

If you add in some long runs (9-10miles) it will help with you endurance and assist in the latter stages of a 10k, although not sure it will help you for your next 10k with only two weeks left.

Best of luck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.