I think I'll get my coat.

18/04/2012 at 19:10
kaffeeg wrote (see)

Gosh. 

I think I'll get my coat.

You've reminded me of my favourite chat up line: Grab your coat - you've pulled
18/04/2012 at 20:22
Nykie wrote (see)

I wouldn't class 'You're screwed' as the best possible advice.

Some people on this forum astound me with the elitism. Some people run a marathon, some people run/walk a marathon, it's still a marathon and someone has still completed it.

What about the lady who did London in 2007 or 2008 who had to push her own oxygen carts in front of her all the way. Would people slag her off too???

well said. I am run/walking it on Sunday and proud to be. I have COPD so it will be a massive ahievement. You do a mara -you do a mara 
18/04/2012 at 20:29
Sussex Runner - how many times have you marshaled a marathon - if marshaled at all?  I've done it a couple of times - once was  the Moon Walk so I expected to be hanging around for 8 or more hours.  Waiting for the slowbees is part of the package and they are usually so grateful it makes it all worth while.  Stop shedding your crocodile tears and pretending a concern I doubt you really feel.
18/04/2012 at 20:50
This is a truly boring thread.I doubt Haile Gabre Selassie would be following any of you over the finish line, but he'd probably think you had every right to be running the race no matter how long you took.Anyone can enter and it's up to them how they do it.

Some of you need to get out more!
cougie    pirate
18/04/2012 at 22:09
Cheeky cow Sally.

You asked for advice.

I gave you sensible advice - based on my 17 or so Marathons - I wasn't dissing you at all - I just wanted to help you out. You don't even know my times. I may be slower than you.

And you seem to have taken my advice - so how can you come On here and slag me off ?

You know that Think before you slam someone thing ? Well did you ?

18/04/2012 at 23:29
Cougie you gave sensible advice and then you ruined it with your "lol" comment on the "you're screwed" post, so it's a bit disingenuous that you're now trying to scramble up the moral high ground. Had you left it at your initial post there wouldn't have been an issue.

This whole thread shows what's wrong with our sport. Half the population in this country has a BMi of over 30 and yet some of you are belittling and humiliating someone who's got outside and covered 26 miles under their own steam because their time doesn't meet your perceptions of having achieved something.

Well done Sally. Most people would have given up and stayed on the sofa feeling sorry for themselves. It takes resilience and mental strength to get out and cover the distance notwithstanding events beyond your control stopped you training. Hold your head up high.
19/04/2012 at 06:07
yes -well done Sally!!
19/04/2012 at 09:18
Sebastian80, you have hit the nail on the head with;

"This whole thread shows what's wrong with our sport. Half the population in this country has a BMi of over 30 and yet some of you are belittling and humiliating someone who's got outside and covered 26 miles under their own steam because their time doesn't meet your perceptions of having achieved something."

I lurk on these forums, I don't feel that generally I want to contribute or ask questions as I don't want to stick my head above the parapet and get shot down for my "meagre attempts" at running/jogging/walking. I also did Brighton, at a similar time to the OP and I am still proud of what I did - as this time last year I had not run for over 30 years (since at school) and hopefully this is only the start of my road to better times.

Yes the OP was totally asking for trouble with the post at the start of this thread, however it was a knee jerk reaction to the advice measured out previously. The adage stands that don't ask for advice if you're not willing to hear the answer - however there are ways of answers being constructive rather than mocking.

...anyhow I'll slink away again, I won't post questions, I'll go back to lurking as I feel that that is the safest way for the novices here.
19/04/2012 at 09:56
It is even more boring now that Oliver Crouch has posted!

I do wish Bear B Hind if you wish to reply my posts then at least take time to read them. As I said in the VLM you might expect to be on a marshall station for many hours. Walking is excepted. In the Brighton Marathon it states THIS IS NOT A WALKING RACE.

The Women in question was derided by most I suspect because of her attitude in the OP rather than because of her time. If she had posted it in a more gracious way I'm sure Cougie and myself would have congratulated her. But she didn't did she?
WiB
19/04/2012 at 09:59
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
This is 35 miles, and trust me after 26 no one is still running all the way

You shouldn't lie on the internet... The internet is for the truth only.

WiB
19/04/2012 at 10:03

Everyone has their own personal challenges and targets.  Some is to run a 2.30 marathon others to just get round that distance before it gets dark.  To each person they are the same achievement. Ignore the fact the brighton marathon rules state its not a walking race....you are not the race director so why to do you care so much. Congrats to the OP for finishing, next time try to take on a bit more training and run a bit more and smash your time...then repeat etc etc. 

I raced a 10k a fortnight ago it was 2 laps, and after i finished i went back to the car, got changed and did a cool down lap in which i lapped again a few ladies at the back doing a race/walk tactic.  They were getting loud cheers and encouragement as any of us in the top 10.  The sweeper was very encouraging , as were all the marshalls.  As i lapped these ladies twice in a 2 lap race ?!? i didnt pour scourn or belittle them, i offered praise and they appreciated....just because they are not as fast or fit as me doesnt mean i get to look down on their achievement.  Trust me she looked more knackered than i did!  It was a bigger achievement for her to do her time than it was for me.

19/04/2012 at 10:36
"Half the population in this country has a BMi of over 30"

and I assume your point there is that people with BMI's over 30 aren't runners and are just fat couch potatoes heading towards a slow coronary death??

errm - I suggest you amend your conceptions then - there are many of us with BMIs over 30 due to a previous sporting heritage such as rugby, rowing, contact sports of many types who run marathons - myself included with a BMI that's been hovering around 33 for the last 10 years despite 21 marathons (PB sub 4), 5 Ironman finishes and countless other races under my admittedly ample belt. I was a rugby player. we are big by nature. but that doesn't stop us doing marathons etc.

anyway - I'll let the arguments as to whether a 6:30 marathon is an achievement or not continue now I've made that point
Nam
19/04/2012 at 10:40

I think people are talking cross-purposes here.

I don't think anyone wants to take anything away from the OPs eventual achievement of completeing her mara, regardless of time.

I think the issue was her tone and attitude in her opening post, having previously asked for advice regarding how well prepared she is, having run no further than 11 miles.

Was it outrageous for Cougie to put a "LOL" and pointing out that she's a bit scuppered with that level of training?  I think not.

Ultimately it was him who made the helpful suggestion of her adopting a run-walk strategy on a 'just get round' basis, which appears to be exactly what she did in the end.

So if anything, maybe a thank you and apology is in order, rather than sticking up two fingers at the person who tried to assist by responding to your initial thread.

19/04/2012 at 10:41
And life was beautiful. And Jesus.....I mean Dean did say well done to his followers and did not pour scorn upon them but praised them for their achievements.
19/04/2012 at 10:41
Bear B.Hind wrote (see)
Sussex Runner - how many times have you marshaled a marathon - if marshaled at all?  I've done it a couple of times - once was  the Moon Walk so I expected to be hanging around for 8 or more hours.  Waiting for the slowbees is part of the package and they are usually so grateful it makes it all worth while.  Stop shedding your crocodile tears and pretending a concern I doubt you really feel.

BBH, if you marshal moonWALK the clue is in the title, you know full well that people are going to be walking for hours!

I've marshalled marathons, and enjoyed it.  Less so when it's pouring with rain, or freezing cold, and you've been out there for six hours.  At that point I really wanted to go home.  Waiting for the walkers in that situation might put people off marshalling again, and most races are in dire need of marshals.

There are long distance walking events specifically for those who want to take their time.

19/04/2012 at 10:44
Amen to that Nam. You have the intelligence to understand this thread. I think sometimes people just Skip through the posts and post some patronising sermon. I wish people would think before they slam(me)
19/04/2012 at 10:46
Nam wrote (see)

I think people are talking cross-purposes here.

I don't think anyone wants to take anything away from the OPs eventual achievement of completeing her mara, regardless of time.

I think the issue was her tone and attitude in her opening post, having previously asked for advice regarding how well prepared she is, having run no further than 11 miles.

Was it outrageous for Cougie to put a "LOL" and pointing out that she's a bit scuppered with that level of training?  I think not.

Ultimately it was him who made the helpful suggestion of her adopting a run-walk strategy on a 'just get round' basis, which appears to be exactly what she did in the end.

So if anything, maybe a thank you and apology is in order, rather than sticking up two fingers at the person who tried to assist by responding to your initial thread.

+1 Nam.
19/04/2012 at 10:49
Great posts Emmy,Buddha,Wilkie and Nam. I feel like the cavalry just arrived. (Hope I'm not being too patronising)
seren nos yn canu    pirate
19/04/2012 at 10:52
agree with Nam.......

the majority of people on here respect and support peoples effort whatever the speed........if they put the effort in then they get the praise.....

but if you want people not to give advice then you have to state that all you want is false encouragement......

41 to 60 of 225 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.