I got my medal thank you!!!

161 to 180 of 225 messages
23/04/2012 at 09:45
Coug's bimbled round London in 3:20 yesterday, So it was pretty quick walking if he was run/walking
Edited: 23/04/2012 at 09:46
23/04/2012 at 09:48
Maybe he walked the last 385 yards. Because as Nick says "trust me, no one is running after 26 miles". Yay Nick got anymore gems?
23/04/2012 at 09:52
Why did Cougie bother to run 3.20 when 6.20 is just as good? Maybe he wanted to get back for the footie?

Well bimbled by the way Cougie. Seems you get more flak for liking my comment than I did for making it.
23/04/2012 at 11:47

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23042012/58/london-marathon-death-tests-place.html

This is why ill prepared runners get short shrift. It has nothing to do with snobbery.

Experienced runners can die yes. But no one wants to advise anyone to run a marathon that hasn't trained well for it.
We all think about the injury potential. Hoever moderate or severe that is the potential is still there.

I stood and watched from mile 17 until the walkers were comming through every few minutes. People who were going to take 8 hrs + to complete the distance. This isn't something that I would recommend anyone do. It isn't something that I would congratulate anyone for doing if they are generally physically and mentally fit. (of course we all know of people who have fought demons, struggled with adversity to get to the start but for the most part we also know that these people trained for it and are well aware of there limitations and competances.)

I will not pat Sally on the back and say well done. She knew she was under prepared. She knew that she was going to have to walk for the best part of 26.2 miles. She knows that if she had trained well that she should be capable of at least the avarage time of 4:15. For many finishing in pain is less demoralising than knowing you havr gone to far and pulling out. It's easier to continue than to give up. Most of us have been there at some point and know this.

Getting a medal for something that you didn't put the effort into seems a little hollow.

Sally knows that now she is fit she can find another marathon, train for it and run it all in a time that anyone would be proud of having put in the training.

It doesn't always work, things go wrong. Run / walking a marathon or any race is fine by me.

23/04/2012 at 11:53
camillia sinensis assamica mouse wrote (see)

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23042012/58/london-marathon-death-tests-place.html

This is why ill prepared runners get short shrift. It has nothing to do with snobbery.

Umm, I agree with most of what you say, but the above link suggests that medical tests still need to be done to find out exactly why this partilcular unfortunate tragedy happened (e.g. possibly an underlying heart condition which could have affected someone even if they had prepared properly for the race.)  Therefore I think the link/connection is inappropriate.
23/04/2012 at 12:24

Sorry - yes to some extent you are correct, that I why I said even experienced runners can die.

It's the nagging doubt at the back of my head - the advising something that is going to be tough for someone who hasn't trained for it. That they may suffer more than they gain from it.

I kindof wanted to illustrate that it isn't always best to do something regardless. I know that it's hard to not to do a race that you want to do, esp something like London or Brighton (or any of the 'big' marathons).

23/04/2012 at 14:41

I have recently changed from heel to forefoot landing and run with walking breaks although rather brief ones now (30-60 secs). I have Berlin marathon booked which I had booked before embarking on this journey to improve running form. Coach says I can only run/walk it, walk through water stations most probably. I originally wanted to quit as when I signed up for it I wanted to beat my previous marathon time (4:28:28). Currently my speed dropped and beating this time with walking breaks is unachievable. I am not sure whether running/walking this marathon will be for me, you need to be pretty much organised and keep your eye on the clock or walk through every water station. I may do it for the sake of having a place now and using it up but would not count this experience as marathon running as its purest form. I properly ran my last marathon all in one go and can now say 'I ran a marathon'. If I decide to do Berlin this year it will only be a training run.

What I am trying to say that a real achievement in my humble opinion is to run it in one go walking maybe briefly through water stations to take in more liquid. I think that applauding for minimal effort is false.

23/04/2012 at 14:59
camillia sinensis assamica mouse wrote (see)

I will not pat Sally on the back and say well done.

...because she was just plain rude.

Edited: 23/04/2012 at 14:59
23/04/2012 at 15:18

'you're screwed' - 'big fat raspeberry in return', seems a fair trade off to me - and a bit perverse to start complaining about delicate sensibilities and demanding an apology.

Personally I think all beginners should be encouraged, everyone has to start somewhere. Sports die when they dont encourage the grass roots.

23/04/2012 at 15:25

'you're screwed' - 'big fat raspeberry in return', seems a fair trade off to me - and a bit perverse to start complaining about delicate sensibilities and demanding an apology.

I agree!

23/04/2012 at 15:56
there'll be bluebirds over....,, wrote (see)
Congratulations Sally on completing the marathon, your personal achievement is as good as anyone else's, take no notice of Cougie & Co, there's always an element who have their head up their own arse.I also ran Brighton last week (3:59) & watched VLM yesterday & without the variety of types of runners from fast/slow to young/old this race would be nothing. Leave the snobbery to the Tennis & Golf Clubs, road running is better than that.
......so her accomplishment is as worthy of merit as that of someone who dedicates several years of their life busting their backside training thousands of miles in order to do a 2:40 marathon? Yeah, how intuitive.
23/04/2012 at 15:59
I rarely post nowadays - but I come back to the forums to see Cougie (I don't know sussex runner) being called elitist?? and intimidating to beginners?? What are these forums coming to!
Edited: 23/04/2012 at 15:59
M.r Zuvai    pirate
23/04/2012 at 16:00

mg83 wrote (see)

'you're screwed' - 'big fat raspeberry in return', seems a fair trade off to me .

you're probably right - had it stayed in the original thread.

23/04/2012 at 16:16
mg83 wrote (see)

Personally I think all beginners should be encouraged, everyone has to start somewhere. Sports die when they dont encourage the grass roots.

Beginners should be encouraged, and everyone does have to start somewhere. But with a marathon? Why not encourage begineers to build up through distances over time and enjoy the journey, rather than desperately try to get fit for a marathon in a tiny amount of time and get injured?

dhale750 wrote (see)
there'll be bluebirds over....,, wrote (see)
Congratulations Sally on completing the marathon, your personal achievement is as good as anyone else's, take no notice of Cougie & Co, there's always an element who have their head up their own arse.I also ran Brighton last week (3:59) & watched VLM yesterday & without the variety of types of runners from fast/slow to young/old this race would be nothing. Leave the snobbery to the Tennis & Golf Clubs, road running is better than that.
......so her accomplishment is as worthy of merit as that of someone who dedicates several years of their life busting their backside training thousands of miles in order to do a 2:40 marathon? Yeah, how intuitive.

+1 on this one.

Edited: 23/04/2012 at 16:16
cougie    pirate
23/04/2012 at 16:23
Annajo - things have changed ! I'm such an elitist now !

Sussex damn you for making me laugh and turning me into the most hated figure on the forum.

Bluebirds - did you even read the post before slagging me off ?

Dave - legs fell off a bit at 20 miles -more training needed for next time !
I didn't run-walk though as I doubt I'd have got running once I stopped.
23/04/2012 at 16:25
cougie - Good effort mate.  Did you make it to the Chandos afterwards or were you scared you might be pied to death by a baying mob?
M.r Zuvai    pirate
23/04/2012 at 16:34

cougie wrote (see)
Sussex damn you for making me laugh and turning me into the most hated figure on the forum

haha

given the help and advise you've given countless people over the years means you're one of the more respected members of the community

cougie    pirate
23/04/2012 at 16:34
Lol ! Yes I did make it to the pub and everyone was lovely.
I suspect if they had pies they may have tucked into them before I got there ?
23/04/2012 at 16:48
The death of that runner yesterday did make me think of this thread. Of course we don't know the details yet but it makes you realise that encouraging people to go out and do things they aren't prepared for can be very dangerous.
23/04/2012 at 17:16
dhale750, why should'nt a slower runner deserve as much merit as a 2:40 marathon runner? If that person raised a shitfull of cash for a good cause then i'd go as far as to say they deserve even more merit.Never realised that snobbery was so common in road running, so one person can run faster or have the time to train harder than than the other, big deal, our circumstances are all different & some can't get the time to live for training.I'm a self employed builder & work has got to take a priority over running & also the recovery is a lot harder than someone with a sedate job who can recover in working hours.I thought Brasher's vision was we could all be as one whatever our abilty, not "i'm faster & train harder so i'm obviously better than you "bollocks.
161 to 180 of 225 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.