I hate Speedwork and Tempo Runs

Do I have to do them ?

21 to 39 of 39 messages
24/06/2012 at 00:00

I got my marathon time down from 3:53 to 3:16 by doing a lot of slow miles (60-70 miles a week) and the very occasional tempo run but my feeling is I'll need to get serious about my tempo/ intervals to get that time much lower.

24/06/2012 at 00:09

Hi - I'm only on week2 of my 14 week HM plan. So currently my weekly mileage is :14 With the LSR at 6mi for tomorrow. The maximum weekly mileage is 25 on week 12.

I got the plan from Smart Coach on RW. I was going to go with a Hal Higdon HM plan but in the end thought it wasn't pushy enough. Maybe I should change back.

24/06/2012 at 00:32
Why have you dropped back down so far on your LSR? Have you stopped running for a while?
24/06/2012 at 06:32

Lil, ok, a more pertinent question then is what were you running for your 2:36? Presumably that was off running what you fancied with not even the structure of the Smart Coach type plan?

I'm sure that schedule will see you beat 2:36 fairly comfortably.

After that, simply increasing the easy pace mileage higher will see that time plummet. Comes down to how much free time, patience and keeness you have really.

You have plenty of scope until you get to the point where you're smashing yourself to take buttons off.

24/06/2012 at 08:15
Just to play devils advocate. I totally agree that bags of improvement can be made here simply by building up mileage but also think that psychogically it really helps to have done some faster paced running just so you know that you can. Maybe a weekly or fortnight tempo run is enough for this though. Perhaps at HM pace. And no more than 20 mins at tempo with a warm up and cool down added on.
24/06/2012 at 10:20

Morning all, I hadn't stopped running just went out doing slower and less. (A LOT) I love to run. That and my motivation bucket is full to the top.

I wish I hadn't slacked off now though

Stevie G - Yes, running the GNR at any time to finish was all I wanted. I did train but only enough I guess, to know, I could run the whole thing. Which is why this year, I would like a sub 2.30.

I shall increase the mileage & follow the plan (tweaking some bits) Have also noticed a Parkrun has just started in my area which is brilliant. I shall go each week to use it as my HM pace run

Thanks x.

24/06/2012 at 12:45

Lil, good stuff, in relation to the title of this thread, you clearly dislike the tempo and speedwork stuff because you haven't got the base to support them at the moment.

With a better base, and doing the sessions to the correct paces for your current level (which presumably that plan gives you) you'll grow to find them more doable, and..perhaps even love them

Or at least love the feeling after.

24/06/2012 at 18:45

Lil, this is is a great thread, I'm reading with interest so I hope you'll keep it going. 

After a disastrous 2011 which included lots of time on the injury bench, I decided that this year I was going to forget pace and concentrate on running slow enough to avoid injury and frequently enough to build base.  Leaving aside the last few weeks which have been a bit rubbish because I sort of lost my mojo a bit and my mileage has dropped, I've been consistently running 5 times a week, with runs ranging from 5-8 miles, and an average of 40 miles a week.  I've been a bit dejected lately (which explains the loss of mojo) because although I'm pleased that I'm running lots and (touch wood) have avoided injury, I seem to be the exception to the rule that building mileage leads to increased pace.....I'm a lot slower than I was last year, and in fact seem to be getting even slower as the year goes on, to the point that I find it really hard to run outside my comfort zone even for a few minutes.  I'm torn between thinking: I need to challenge myself to run faster and start pushing myself harder, and: I don't want to get injured so I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and hope that eventually, by some miracle, it will all click into place and I'll get faster by default! 

24/06/2012 at 21:03

Hi Tikka, Thanks for the kind words. I will keep an update going for the following 12 weeks training & the result  time...Yikes !!

Reading your notes it seems you need to put a little fun back into your running to get your mojo back. Even so, you have a solid base and *well done* for that. Do you need to be faster ? Do you have friends to run with or Parkrun to go to? What about booking a race ? I hope you get that naughty mojo back from wherever its been hiding. From time to time they need to have a break too...

seren nos yn canu    pirate
24/06/2012 at 21:54

good news about the parkruns lil.i bet after a few weeks you will be running them faster than your HM pace.they will become your tempo runs as you try and beat your time of the previous weeks........

they really helped me 

24/06/2012 at 22:22

That's good news, Lil, that you're planning to keep the thread running.

I think you've hit the nail on the head - I need to put the fun back into my running.  For the first few months of the year I was so happy to be back running again uninjured that I didn't care what speed I was running at, I was just grateful to be running.  Now that the initial euphoria has worn off, I'm starting to obsess about how slow I am, and the more despondent I get, the less I want to run.  Do I need to be faster?  No.  I want to be, but I don't need to be - so I'll remind myself of that from now on.  I'm only competing with myself!

There are 4 parkruns within a 10 mile radius of my house so I have no reason not to do one.  What's stopping me is partly my lack of speed (I know it's not a race, but I'll be a lot slower than I was for 5k this time last year and it's hard not to compare), but also the fact that a 9.30am start is about 10 hours too early for me - I'm rubbish at running in the morning, I only ever run in the evening.  I really should do one though, so I'll put that on my 'to do' list for this year!

25/06/2012 at 10:14

Totally agree with other advice here. Speedwork etc DOES improve times but unless you've already got a decent level of fitness and are logging a good number of steady miles every week, it won't be of as much benefit as simply increasing the amount of overall running you're doing, and it's a good way to get injured.

Years ago I got my HM time down from 2.25 to 2.07 to 1.56 to 1.50 within two years, just by losing 20 lbs, doing quite a lot of gym based cardio work, and running at a steady pace 4 times a week. No speedwork, no intervals, just steady running.

25/06/2012 at 11:07

Wow, bringing your times down by that much is great. Losing 20lbs too. Are you still running ?

Great advice on here isn't it ? Has really helped me. I know I will do the HM in a good time now and without getting injured in the process.

I aim to do plenty of 'steady' weekly miles and try hard at the weekly Parkruns to up the pace a little.

25/06/2012 at 14:34

Hi Lil. yes, still running, more than ever... Slower (and once more a bit heavier than I really should be)  but now doing longer distances - marathons and ultras. Haven't run a half in ages but think I'd probably be around the 2 hour mark, which isn't too bad for a fat chick. LOL!

If you just keep building up your weekly distance with steady miles you should see a gradual improvement in your times. Then once your base fitness is improved, you might even get to like interval sessions. I hate them and love them at the same time. They make me want to vomit but it's the one weekly club session I really try not to miss.

25/09/2012 at 10:46

UPDATE - I did the GNR. Followed my plan and pushed myself on the day. Ended up doing 13.4 miles ! Just shows how much weaving I was doing...Well...drum roll...I got *2:30 On the nose * Very Happy.. 

25/09/2012 at 12:32

Hi Lil  -  well done on the GNR!  That's brilliant    I entirely agree with you about speedwork  -  it actually makes me have to stop and be sick in the  bushes if I sprint any time other than at the last 100 yards of a race!  When I started running around 4 years ago (to mark my 50th birthday, so I'm no spring chicken!) my first HM was 2.38 and my husband decided he was going to take me in hand and improve my time by interval training (he usually knows what he's talking about) so I let him try.  I ended up hating training runs with him and my next HM was 2.42 because I was so uncomfortable with my pacing and I was so despondent I nearly gave the whole malarkey up.

He was unable to train for a while so I did a lot of nice gentle distances on my own for a few months and my next time (my first GNR) was 2.25....  Full of the joys of having sorted *myself* out I kept plodding away enjoying my solitary distance runs and the next HM was 2.18, the next 2.11 (but it was uber flat in perfect conditions, with two big downhills!) and this year's GNR was 2.16 and not too painful at all!

Last weekend's recovery run was the fastest 6 miles I've ever done at just over 9 minute miles (not impressive compared to most of the RW forumites, I know but *I'm* proud of it haha)  -  I was just running for the fun of it, didn't look at my watch once until the end and was gobsmacked!

There is life without fartlek!!

25/09/2012 at 16:16

Lilytoo - That's great reading. Well done on the wonderful 2:16 for this years GNR & improving your HM times. Wow, brilliant. I never thought I would/could bring my time down. Who knows, maybe next year I can get an better time.

I am very impressed with your 9mm for last weekends 6 mile run.

It has inspired me.

Thank you *

25/09/2012 at 17:16

and if you could see the shape I am you'd be even more impressed haha!!!  Not so much spring chicken, more plump old boiler....  Keep going  -  it stops hurting as much after a bit!

25/09/2012 at 19:37

To be honest, my advise would be to just run and exercise, with your current times.

I got down to 1:27 HM and I hadn't even heard of intervals or tempo runs.  I started out running 9 min miles and just ran and got better....I put in a lot of effort.  I also did circuits and plenty of other gym classes and that seemed to work for me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.