I want to cry

physio said not to run :(

1 to 20 of 151 messages
21/09/2009 at 13:47

Just got back from seeing the physio - apparently I am not 'mechanically built for running'

It would seem that I have knock knees and that I overpronate quite badly. I've only been running since May, but I love it. Now I've been told that if I keep running I'm likely to need my knees replaced at some point  

I've already got some degenerative changes in my knees (and lots of pain - hence physio appt.), but damn it, I want to run!! I'm doing a 5k for charity on Sunday, and was planning on a half in October...

I want to cry

21/09/2009 at 13:50
Get a second opinion.
21/09/2009 at 13:50

Poor you.  But don't cry.

What treatment did the physio give you?

And have you had a gait analysis in a running shop so they can fit you with the correct shoes to support your over-pronation?

LIVERBIRD    pirate
21/09/2009 at 13:52

My physio would probably tell you we're all not built for running...

Don't give up just yet Sarah...

21/09/2009 at 13:52

I'm not biomentrically suited to running and I think that half the people out there running are the same. 

What a nice physio you have.

My physio works with my wonky knees and hips.... and feet...... and ankles.

I do strengthening exercises and stretches and when running I concentrate on my form.

I've tried orthotics but I dont get on with them so my fizz and I have worked on my weaknesses and we have managed to work around this. 

Go and see a more sympathetic fizzy, one who is prepared to work with you and get you out running.

21/09/2009 at 13:54
Shimmy shimmy wrote (see)

I'm not biomentrically suited to running and I think that half the people out there running are the same. 

Me either, I reckon an old walrus is more biometrically suited to running than I am, mind you, I reckon we have a similar gait.
21/09/2009 at 13:58

How awful for you (((( )))))

Take no notice! You read of ppl  who overcome much worse aillments who get back running, it's a case of how determined you are. Find someone else for another opinion I've been round the houses a bit and ended up with a brilliant chiropractor who sorted me out. Trying orthotics might help - your GP should refer you on the NHS. There's learning pose or chi running to try too.

Have a cry then dust yourself down and get on with getting fixed

D

x

21/09/2009 at 14:02
21/09/2009 at 14:03

This was a second opinion  I don't want to be one of those people who just finds someone who says what I want them to say. And the truth is, running does make my knees much worse... I keep going because I like it, and I think it's something I could actually be quite good at.

I haven't got special shoes (being a poor student, I'm having to save up  ) so that will probably help (I hope). I was told I need to strengthen my quads and glutes, and that I should take up swimming or cycling...

21/09/2009 at 14:06

Just because it is a second option it still does not mean that you can't run.  It just means that you have been unlucky and seen two unsympathetic fizzys. 

Gyraffe    pirate
21/09/2009 at 14:16

Sarah - that sounds awful poor you. I'm so sorry.

However - cycling and swimming are also brilliant and there are lots of events to get involved with and loads of swish kit to collect so all is not lost.

(Plus I'm sure you can still run a bit - hope so.)

21/09/2009 at 14:28
Chins up Sarah, nowt wrong with cycling and swimming. Get a bit of leg strength work going and pretty soon you'll be fit and strong to get the shoes back on and run. Take the time to build yourself up, do as the fizz says and save for a decent pair of shoes and get a proper gait done.
21/09/2009 at 14:30

My uni teaches a physio degree - fizzy students everywhere! Might try for a third opinion...

I've always fancied being a pirate... but thinking of the distances I can manage, I think I'm more like a sick parrot...

I guess I could start saving up for a decent bike instead  

21/09/2009 at 14:33

The trainers, when you can afford them will help with the overpronating & probably the pain in your knees to some degree.  Dont give up hope hun, a decent fizzy will give you exercises to do to compensate for any weaknesses that are causing problems with your running.

I got the details for the one I see out of my local running shop, might be worth asking around.

21/09/2009 at 14:48

Think I'll definitely ask my GP about orthotics. Anything that might help is worth a go.

Thanks everyone

21/09/2009 at 14:56

Sarah, I'm knock-kneed, over-pronate (so much so that I ruptured a tendon, just by being flat-footed), have had years of netball-caused injuries, am old and ugly, was told that I should give up running and I'm doing my first HM on Sunday.

Don't give up, if I can do it and I'm a lot older than you (), then I'm sure you can.  I do exercise to strengthen weak muscles, stretching to loosen tight muscles and Pilates for core strength.  I wear orthotics all the time because I need to.

I started slowly and am taking it easy.  I'm now seriously considering going the full hog and training for a marathon.  If/when I do, it will be slowly, but I'd rather get there slowly than not at all.

You might need to wear orthotics - as Cake says, try local running clubs for recommendations to physios and podiatrists who work with runners - they'll understand you better and will work with you to get you running.

Good luck

21/09/2009 at 14:59
Sarah the Oly distance Tri is only 10k run (only he says, he who isn't supposed to be running at the mo) so give it a go - you know you want the flag.....
21/09/2009 at 15:01

Poor U!!!

Do get a second opinion...also  am a single parent..and I had problems with only one knee(thank goodness)....BUT, i did some xtra work...got fitted for£85 trainers..and my knee has never been sore since..I knw its expensive..but if u love somthing then u will try ure best to make it right...

Good Luck..

Px

P.S. we lived on beans and toast for a few days!!!

21/09/2009 at 15:17
I always get last seasons colours.   Much cheaper.  I too stockpile them
21/09/2009 at 15:20

You lot talk about beans on toast like its a bad thing...

Maybe I should stockpile too... might need to build an extension to house them all though as I already have an extensive shoe collection.

1 to 20 of 151 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.