I will never run a marathon again.... like ever....

stupid concept anyway

301 to 317 of 317 messages
09/05/2013 at 20:43
Oliver Truby wrote (see)
Stevie G . wrote (see)

I like the people who do marathons off 20-30miles a week...how could that possibly be aqeduate when the bloody race is almost your total mileage?

I ran my first marathon this year off about 16 weeks of 25 mile average, (including 2 weeks on holiday with no running) only 1 training run was as long as 20 miles. I finished in 2.53 as well so it is possible..

how much cycling and swimming/extra training on top of that?

09/05/2013 at 20:48

Having read most of this thread - David a couple of things.

Well done on coming on here and taking the piss out of yourself.

Yes the marathon isn't everything and if you are young carry on with the short distances.  Even though it would be nice if you could man up a little and prove all the doubters wrong.

Get yourself a good plan and put some effing effort into it.

09/05/2013 at 21:06
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Oliver Truby wrote (see)
Stevie G . wrote (see)

I like the people who do marathons off 20-30miles a week...how could that possibly be aqeduate when the bloody race is almost your total mileage?

I ran my first marathon this year off about 16 weeks of 25 mile average, (including 2 weeks on holiday with no running) only 1 training run was as long as 20 miles. I finished in 2.53 as well so it is possible..

how much cycling and swimming/extra training on top of that?

135 miles TOTAL cycling Jan-April, to and from work a few times, so works out to literally nothing per week, and I swam total of 5000m in January and 1500m in Feb, played an hour of football in March if that counts, I played in goal for half of it so I guess it doesn't really lol so that coupled with just shy of 400 miles of running accumulates to my marathon training, less than ideal but pleased with the time nonetheless! Going to actually train for the next one and see what happens!

09/05/2013 at 21:30

Looking at your PO10 profile, looks an incredible marathon from those shorter distance times.

Must be a natural.

09/05/2013 at 21:35

Thanks mate, yeah I was gobsmacked with the improvements I made during March, the Silverstone half I did in 1.32, and was tired enough at the end to be really pleased with my time, and then even more pleased with that 20 mile race, to then run a marathon 25 seconds per mile quicker, 6 weeks later was amazing, trying my hand at triathlon this year, and due to being such a poor cylist (no power in my legs) I think I will stick to running after this year as it does seem to be my strongest of the three..!

09/05/2013 at 22:02

lose the triathlons, forget marathons for a bit, and you could easily smash those shorter pbs into oblivion...

then when you come back to the marathon in a few years could produce some right magic.

09/05/2013 at 22:12

Superb improvement from your HM and 20miler to the marathon Oliver. DF3 is sidelined at the moment with a grazed knee so has lots of time on his hands. No doubt the investigator in him will be snooping into you results looking for a few corners that you cut at VLM

09/05/2013 at 22:18

Stevie - I have heard improving over the shorter distances help bring the marathon time, I'm doing London next year, but then I think I will take your advice and try my hand at the shorter distances!

AR - As long as he doesn't find my credit card payments he'll never find out about the taxi ride I got from mile 11-23! Haha

09/05/2013 at 22:20

lol.

Im going to take Olivers word for it.

seren nos    pirate
10/05/2013 at 07:07

Because he is male David.........just proved my earlier assumption......

10/05/2013 at 07:18

David - I've just read through some of this thread and saw your target of sub-18 over 5k, I ran mid 19s in December, and a 17.41 in April, while "marathon" training, going from 22.xx to 17.xx will be quite a challenge, but maybe possible depending on how you react to training? Best of luck though mate!

10/05/2013 at 07:59
Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Interesting study in human psychology.

Mob gets wound up by character making unflattering observations about others, despite said character quite clearly being on the wind up and thus getting just the reaction he's after.

Mob thinks it's all so unfair and character is so nasty.

Mob proves how much better it is than character by taking the opportunity to remorselessly lay into character with a stream of increasingly irrelevant and puerile insults.

Pass the popcorn and carry on. 

Has it crossed your mind that the mob might just be 'playing the game'?

Try not to get too wound-up by it.

10/05/2013 at 08:38
Run Wales wrote (see)
Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Interesting study in human psychology.

Mob gets wound up by character making unflattering observations about others, despite said character quite clearly being on the wind up and thus getting just the reaction he's after.

Mob thinks it's all so unfair and character is so nasty.

Mob proves how much better it is than character by taking the opportunity to remorselessly lay into character with a stream of increasingly irrelevant and puerile insults.

Pass the popcorn and carry on. 

Has it crossed your mind that the mob might just be 'playing the game'?

Try not to get too wound-up by it.

I get the feeling DF3 would be disappointed if we didn't all have a little dig

11/05/2013 at 00:46

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I just pissed my pants

Just found the pre marathon thread, these are just a few of my favourites.....

David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
LouiseG wrote (see)

DF3 my conscience demands that I tell you that if you push it too hard over the next few weeks you are going to break something....don't try and ramp up the miles and pace at the same time, knees, hamstrings, achilles, ITB - they will all thank you.

You're forgetting that Im wearing my fancy Boost trainers whcih protect against all these injuries.

JMopper wrote (see)

Ill stick a fiver in if you just manage to finish - as I'm sure you had some choice words about charity runners??

My prediction however would be a time of around 4.55 - with plenty of walking.

There is zero chance I'll even be close to 5 hours

I will have already finished the marathon as the clock ticks over to 4:29:59 ....... don't worry about that.

That is correct with less than 6 weeks to go

Don't worry, I don't play by the rules! All this talk of needing lots of long runs, Im about to prove you all wrong!

There are more crackers along the same lines, but I ran out of space 

Edited: 11/05/2013 at 01:01
11/05/2013 at 21:37
 is this the Jade Goodier school of marathon training?
Walking is easy, but I was doing it on the assumption you could walk properly.

Had you done the training...
PS

...really boring... sorry that must be a different Neolithic Marathon to the one I did a few years back.

11/05/2013 at 21:43

Weekly speed work (Fartlek, pyramids, whatever), working on your vvo max is part of sensible marathon training.  So no surprise if you can knock off PBs at 10K and HM in the build up, or more likely a month after.

08/07/2013 at 22:32

Hi

I found this thread by googling run/walk strategies and it came up

I am considering run/walk Jeff G style because I seem to have lost my mojo and it seems the way to go if I want to do a marathon,  .. . Yes, I can see what DF3 is saying and agree to a certain extent . . .I am not going to push myself as hard as I would if I aimed to run a marathon . . .and I wouldnt enter at the mo knowing that. But I have got a run / walk strategy . . and I would get an enjoyment from doing a 26 miler .  . . . well done for doing your marathon in less time then I will  . . .but I and others will still run / walk marathons without caring how we do it . . and will give ourselves a pat on the back too  

Cheers x

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 22:33

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
301 to 317 of 317 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.