I will never run a marathon again.... like ever....

stupid concept anyway

101 to 120 of 265 messages
XX1
06/05/2013 at 20:44

DF3 -- Given your current level of "running" ability I'd be impressed if you could actually run 5km without caking your trollies   Oh, can we assume you didn't take a medal at the end of the marathon yeah?

XX1
06/05/2013 at 20:47

David Falconer 3 (why 3? surely there aren't more) If you shouted your mouth off, you invited all kinds of people to tell you that you were everything from a know-all to a dick. You went and actually ran the Marathon (by all accounts slowly) so they get their 5 minutes of poking fun at you. I say good on you, you gave a bit out but are obviously prepared to take it so well done, you've given some of the people on here something to talk about.

06/05/2013 at 20:55

I have yet to meet a racer who accepts "a piss weak performance".  I've also yet to meet a runner who cares about their times that requires "sunshine blown up their arse".  Had you attempted anything approaching training, you may have found yourself in the position of running target races that had times and targets that mattered.  Completing any race is an achievement on an individual level, for whatever reason, which you would have empathy for had you connected with your targets at even the basest level. 

And read back beyond your selective vision, DF3, I did congratulate you on your completion, especially so after such a gruelling time.   

Seriously, sunshine, stop rubbing your ego and start looking beyond it.

Or are you D2D trying to get Stevieboy on side by playing bromance?......hmmmmmm? 

*Dr Evil finger thing*

06/05/2013 at 20:57

Honesty is a hard thing, and sometimes we have too muc self belief and set that bar far too high and fail drastically. Sometimes the achievement is overcoming the sense of  failure  and finishing against  the odds.

I speak from experience of going into a marathon fully trained, then getting ill at 5 miles in(sick, dizzy, sick.....) all the way to the end. Getting to the end in the state I was in was my achievement. 3 months later, after another 4 days ill, I had an emergency appendectomy which I thought had blown all thoughts of completing Paris Marathon. 7 weeks out(no exercise whatsoever), then 6 weeks of minimal training and I completed the marathon in 3:59:13. now to many that is rubbish but to me it was a real achievement..........no matter what anyone says!!

06/05/2013 at 20:59
Crazy Diamond wrote (see)

Or are you D2D trying to get Stevieboy on side by playing bromance?......hmmmmmm? 

*Dr Evil finger thing*

I think Stevie is happy enough with his girl gang....

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 21:00
06/05/2013 at 20:59

DF3, I think if you must measure it you could do worse than looking at the amount of effort the person has put into training and improving. I'm pretty sure there are some people you've been taking the piss out of who worked really quite hard to train for a slow marathon time, and for them completing the course genuinely is an achievement to be proud of, especially as you'd have bailed out in their position if there'd been a sweeper car to climb into.

And those people will probably be back next year, working just as hard for an improvement that you 'can't be bothered' to go for.

06/05/2013 at 21:01
Screamapillar wrote (see)

*Dr Evil finger thing*

Yeah, the Screamy-Lit-Mik Gang, as I probably shouldn't call them, are probably a safer bet.

06/05/2013 at 21:04
Stevie G . wrote (see)

*Dr Evil finger thing*

Yeah, the Screamy-Lit-Mik Gang, as I probably shouldn't call them, are probably a safer bet.

Woah!  Screamy!  You're in a gang and you didn't tell me?  I may have to dip DF3's dummy in tar and fling it at you. 

06/05/2013 at 21:04

and it obviously is all relative with race performance.

As a 18-40 bloke, with big passion, and plenty of time to train, I wouldn't dream of comparing myself times wise to a 50year old woman who has proper commitments, possibly limiting factors like physical weakness etc.

You compare like for like, and personally I look at those faster than me, but in a similar boat, then those who are looking to get something completely different out of it

ps I've never done a marathon, but i'd still say it's a worthy achievement simply finishing one.

Obviously after that the expectations would quickly ramp up!!

06/05/2013 at 21:07
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

But its just about being sensible .......... 1 year should be enough to go from just over 22 to 18 ....... thats just over 4 minutes to knock off.

Should be doeable

sub 18 still requires a degree of natural talent which you don't appear to have.

06/05/2013 at 21:07
Stevie G . wrote (see)

We're probably a bit better at running, anyway.

06/05/2013 at 21:08
kaz1 wrote (see)

I had an emergency appendectomy which I thought had blown all thoughts of completing Paris Marathon. 7 weeks out(no exercise whatsoever), then 6 weeks of minimal training and I completed the marathon in 3:59:13. now to many that is rubbish but to me it was a real achievement..........no matter what anyone says!!

But thats the thing, based on what you have said then it is a real achievement. An 80 year old running a 4 hour 30 marathon is a real achivement.

But there are too many perfectly able bodied people (or even fat ones) who put their own achievements alongside of the ones above even though they've put far less effort in.

Like for instance, I have a medal from the Neolithic marathon. Its the same medal the 2nd place (and probably 1st place) winner got. Does that make us equal? Nope ........ but some people kid themselves that what theyve done is virtually the same.

Unfuckinbelievable.

06/05/2013 at 21:14

They trained, DF3. You didn't. If I wanted to pick who I thought had achieved more and got more out of the experience (in which I'm including all the training as well as the race), it wouldn't be you. Plus, if we are going down the route of talking about specific people, one of them was in quite a lot of pain during the race (and took a while to recover post-race), and the other waited for her and finished more slowly than she otherwise might have done. They refused to stop even when offered a lift to the finish, and they jogged over the finish line because it was important to them to finish running, not because they'd been taking it easy up till then and had plenty left in the tank. I actually do find that genuinely impressive, and in some ways more impressive than anything I did towards my first marathon.

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 21:14
06/05/2013 at 21:16

OK then David, here's my unsupportive comment:

You did one marathon, it beat you and you quit.

Do you know how rare that is on this forum? Most people who struggle come back more determined than ever to do better next time.

You might want to think about what that says about them  - and about you.

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 21:18
06/05/2013 at 21:20

Aw, Davie, Dave, David....you've fallen in to the trap of thinking that because I highlighted 'fat', I must automatically be so.  Do try, dear to drag yourself out of the internet stereotype gutter.  You may not care about your race times, but I suspect you have rather more pride in your flaming. 

06/05/2013 at 21:23

You need to develop your ego and competitive edge David...at the moment, you're quite happy to be beaten my miles by women 20years older than you.

That wouldn't sit quite right with me

06/05/2013 at 21:36
Seren never told me her 5k personal best. I'll put it this way, whatever it is, it wont be standing against mine by the time 31st December rolls around.

Oh good, we are on the for the end of this year, then, not one year from now as previously advertised. 

06/05/2013 at 21:37

OK then David, here's my unsupportive comment:

You did one marathon, it beat you and you quit.

Do you know how rare that is on this forum? Most people who struggle come back more determined than ever to do better next time.

You might want to think about what that says about them  - and about you.

I prefer to think of it as 'if you stick your hand in the oven and  you get burnt, you dont just keep putting your hand in the oven'.

After completing a marathon, I realise that I would be far better off putting my efforts towards smaller albeit faster distances. I dont need to 'beat' a marathon.

You say the marathon 'beat' me ......... yep youre right, but I dont really care. What I do care is that I dont just stupidly go on a year long 'revenge' mission to do better next time. Youve only got one life, no point wasting it.

You have yet to convince me you are not just a quitter.

You never thought a marathon was "pointless" until it took you over 6 hours to complete one. In fact all the indications were that you were obsessed with he distance - especially the times other people took to cover it!

But anyway, maybe you'll get into the VLM, storm it, and prove me wrong. I hope so.

seren nos    pirate
06/05/2013 at 21:39

with your investigating stalking david i thought you might have checked it first to ensure that you could beat such an easy target.....a fine young fit man like yourself .......my 17 yr old son and hubby in his 50's can both beat my time by 3 or 4 mins so you should be able to take 6 or 7 mins off it 

06/05/2013 at 21:42

Oh, I must have missed the interim target. Is your current PB from a race or just from the treadmill? If the latter you're probably already a tiny fraction of the way there.

Tell you what, my 5k PB's a bit soft. Why don't you try and beat that first and then move on to the faster stuff?

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 21:42
101 to 120 of 265 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.