I will never run a marathon again.... like ever....

stupid concept anyway

101 to 120 of 256 messages
06/05/2013 at 21:07
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

But its just about being sensible .......... 1 year should be enough to go from just over 22 to 18 ....... thats just over 4 minutes to knock off.

Should be doeable

sub 18 still requires a degree of natural talent which you don't appear to have.

06/05/2013 at 21:07
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Yeah, the Screamy-Lit-Mik Gang, as I probably shouldn't call them, are probably a safer bet.

We're probably a bit better at running, anyway.

06/05/2013 at 21:08
kaz1 wrote (see)

I had an emergency appendectomy which I thought had blown all thoughts of completing Paris Marathon. 7 weeks out(no exercise whatsoever), then 6 weeks of minimal training and I completed the marathon in 3:59:13. now to many that is rubbish but to me it was a real achievement..........no matter what anyone says!!

But thats the thing, based on what you have said then it is a real achievement. An 80 year old running a 4 hour 30 marathon is a real achivement.

But there are too many perfectly able bodied people (or even fat ones) who put their own achievements alongside of the ones above even though they've put far less effort in.

Like for instance, I have a medal from the Neolithic marathon. Its the same medal the 2nd place (and probably 1st place) winner got. Does that make us equal? Nope ........ but some people kid themselves that what theyve done is virtually the same.

Unfuckinbelievable.

06/05/2013 at 21:14

They trained, DF3. You didn't. If I wanted to pick who I thought had achieved more and got more out of the experience (in which I'm including all the training as well as the race), it wouldn't be you. Plus, if we are going down the route of talking about specific people, one of them was in quite a lot of pain during the race (and took a while to recover post-race), and the other waited for her and finished more slowly than she otherwise might have done. They refused to stop even when offered a lift to the finish, and they jogged over the finish line because it was important to them to finish running, not because they'd been taking it easy up till then and had plenty left in the tank. I actually do find that genuinely impressive, and in some ways more impressive than anything I did towards my first marathon.

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 21:14
06/05/2013 at 21:16

OK then David, here's my unsupportive comment:

You did one marathon, it beat you and you quit.

Do you know how rare that is on this forum? Most people who struggle come back more determined than ever to do better next time.

You might want to think about what that says about them  - and about you.

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 21:18
06/05/2013 at 21:20

Aw, Davie, Dave, David....you've fallen in to the trap of thinking that because I highlighted 'fat', I must automatically be so.  Do try, dear to drag yourself out of the internet stereotype gutter.  You may not care about your race times, but I suspect you have rather more pride in your flaming. 

06/05/2013 at 21:23

You need to develop your ego and competitive edge David...at the moment, you're quite happy to be beaten my miles by women 20years older than you.

That wouldn't sit quite right with me

06/05/2013 at 21:36
Seren never told me her 5k personal best. I'll put it this way, whatever it is, it wont be standing against mine by the time 31st December rolls around.

Oh good, we are on the for the end of this year, then, not one year from now as previously advertised. 

06/05/2013 at 21:37
Screamapillar wrote (see)

OK then David, here's my unsupportive comment:

You did one marathon, it beat you and you quit.

Do you know how rare that is on this forum? Most people who struggle come back more determined than ever to do better next time.

You might want to think about what that says about them  - and about you.

I prefer to think of it as 'if you stick your hand in the oven and  you get burnt, you dont just keep putting your hand in the oven'.

After completing a marathon, I realise that I would be far better off putting my efforts towards smaller albeit faster distances. I dont need to 'beat' a marathon.

You say the marathon 'beat' me ......... yep youre right, but I dont really care. What I do care is that I dont just stupidly go on a year long 'revenge' mission to do better next time. Youve only got one life, no point wasting it.

You have yet to convince me you are not just a quitter.

You never thought a marathon was "pointless" until it took you over 6 hours to complete one. In fact all the indications were that you were obsessed with he distance - especially the times other people took to cover it!

But anyway, maybe you'll get into the VLM, storm it, and prove me wrong. I hope so.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
06/05/2013 at 21:39

with your investigating stalking david i thought you might have checked it first to ensure that you could beat such an easy target.....a fine young fit man like yourself .......my 17 yr old son and hubby in his 50's can both beat my time by 3 or 4 mins so you should be able to take 6 or 7 mins off it 

06/05/2013 at 21:42

Oh, I must have missed the interim target. Is your current PB from a race or just from the treadmill? If the latter you're probably already a tiny fraction of the way there.

Tell you what, my 5k PB's a bit soft. Why don't you try and beat that first and then move on to the faster stuff?

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 21:42
06/05/2013 at 21:44

sub 18? might be a bit tasty... i was doing 1hr 25 for a half when first running that time, so you have a little way to go old son.

what is your training going to look like?

maybe it's time to divert some of that stash of IT cash into my pocket to coach you

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 21:45
06/05/2013 at 21:47

Yes, but Stevie, DF3's half marathon time is only rubbish because he had a tummyache. And it was cold weather.

06/05/2013 at 21:51

He'll love the shorter distance then.  There's nothing like a properly paced 5k to make you feel like throwing up afterwards!

06/05/2013 at 21:51
As Stevie says, Sub 18 seems steep from your current position.
Good luck with it, I'd be happy to pace you round on the day.
06/05/2013 at 21:57
PhilPub wrote (see)

He'll love the shorter distance then.  There's nothing like a properly paced 5k to make you feel like throwing up afterwards!

Because training properly for short distance races, and performing well in them, are SO much easier.  I'm thinking Wayne's Worldisms.

Youngish lad at post 20, looking to take four minutes off in a year?  With that lack of commitment to training?  PARTYTIME. EXCELLENT!!!

06/05/2013 at 22:01

What's that old adage?

If, at first, you don't succeed...shift the goalposts.

06/05/2013 at 22:07
Screamapillar wrote (see)

What's that old adage?

If, at first, you don't succeed...shift the goalposts.

Jesus, though, shift the goalposts to make them about a million times smaller and further away. A 4:30 marathon was at least plausible.

06/05/2013 at 22:09

DF3. Congrats on your marathon. I did my first this weekend too and finished in 4:04 Richmond park marathon. I have never ran further than 21k ever and enter on the spur of the moment. The reason you did crap was because YOU did not train well and YOU had a injury. Nothing wrong with the marathon. Mine was very hard because of a lack of training and experience. By the looks of things you should not have run cause of your injury and you started to fast. What i learned is that a Marathon will break you if you do not respect it. No point making Excuses of slay other peoples times. You are nowhere near any elite runner and everyone have their own level. Whatever races you do in the future never forget that you have done a marathon and very few people in the world can say that. Again Congratulations.

06/05/2013 at 22:13

Yeah, I agree a 4:30 marathon would be a bit boring. I mean, imagine having to be on your feet for that long... Oh. Sorry.

101 to 120 of 256 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.