I will never run a marathon again.... like ever....

stupid concept anyway

121 to 140 of 317 messages
seren nos    pirate
06/05/2013 at 20:44

but the problem is that all is not equal.what is a high standard to aim for for one is a crap standard for others.........

we all have strengths and weakneses in us,.....]so if someone wants to try and work on one of their weakneses and improve it..why on earth do you try and piss on them....

set your own standartds......but you are setting other peoples standardsa and telling them they are crap when they could be excelling at the moment and making huge strides.

for some people.just getting to take one step outside their front door is a massive achievement and demands great effort....

XX1
06/05/2013 at 20:44

DF3 -- Given your current level of "running" ability I'd be impressed if you could actually run 5km without caking your trollies   Oh, can we assume you didn't take a medal at the end of the marathon yeah?

XX1
06/05/2013 at 20:47

David Falconer 3 (why 3? surely there aren't more) If you shouted your mouth off, you invited all kinds of people to tell you that you were everything from a know-all to a dick. You went and actually ran the Marathon (by all accounts slowly) so they get their 5 minutes of poking fun at you. I say good on you, you gave a bit out but are obviously prepared to take it so well done, you've given some of the people on here something to talk about.

06/05/2013 at 20:51
seren nos wrote (see)

but the problem is that all is not equal.what is a high standard to aim for for one is a crap standard for others.........

we all have strengths and weakneses in us,.....]so if someone wants to try and work on one of their weakneses and improve it..why on earth do you try and piss on them....

set your own standartds......but you are setting other peoples standardsa and telling them they are crap when they could be excelling at the moment and making huge strides.

for some people.just getting to take one step outside their front door is a massive achievement and demands great effort....

But how do you quantify that?

Thats the problem. Yes we are all different. And clearly some guy who was 18 stone a year ago but is now 12 stone and runs a 5 hour marathon is pretty good. The problem is you also get people who are 12 stone and have always been that way all their life and then run a 5 hour marathon and think they deserve all the plaudits that come their way, even though you and I both know they should have done better.

My issue is that far too many people are willing to accept a far lower bar when it comes to achievement than I am, and by keeping that bar high it might push people a bit further.

Like Im not being funny, but when  you have people who signed up for a 'flat' marathon a full year beforehand, yet show up on the day and without any real injury post a time over 7 hours is very very poor, yet they were giving themselves a big pat on the back and how it was all about completing the course. What a load of rubbish. People need to be honest with themselves.

06/05/2013 at 20:54

Taxi Driver wrote (see)

DF3 -- Given your current level of "running" ability I'd be impressed if you could actually run 5km without caking your trollies   Oh, can we assume you didn't take a medal at the end of the marathon yeah?

I can honestly say that right now my medal which I didnt refuse purely on politeness grounds, is currently sitting at the bottom of a plastic cup that I had carried with me from mile 23 as there were no bins around, and that cup is sitting in the passenger footwell of the car right now as we speak.

(and no Im not exaggerating, thats exactly where it is)

06/05/2013 at 20:55

I have yet to meet a racer who accepts "a piss weak performance".  I've also yet to meet a runner who cares about their times that requires "sunshine blown up their arse".  Had you attempted anything approaching training, you may have found yourself in the position of running target races that had times and targets that mattered.  Completing any race is an achievement on an individual level, for whatever reason, which you would have empathy for had you connected with your targets at even the basest level. 

And read back beyond your selective vision, DF3, I did congratulate you on your completion, especially so after such a gruelling time.   

Seriously, sunshine, stop rubbing your ego and start looking beyond it.

Or are you D2D trying to get Stevieboy on side by playing bromance?......hmmmmmm? 

*Dr Evil finger thing*

06/05/2013 at 20:57

Honesty is a hard thing, and sometimes we have too muc self belief and set that bar far too high and fail drastically. Sometimes the achievement is overcoming the sense of  failure  and finishing against  the odds.

I speak from experience of going into a marathon fully trained, then getting ill at 5 miles in(sick, dizzy, sick.....) all the way to the end. Getting to the end in the state I was in was my achievement. 3 months later, after another 4 days ill, I had an emergency appendectomy which I thought had blown all thoughts of completing Paris Marathon. 7 weeks out(no exercise whatsoever), then 6 weeks of minimal training and I completed the marathon in 3:59:13. now to many that is rubbish but to me it was a real achievement..........no matter what anyone says!!

06/05/2013 at 20:58

"And read back beyond your selective vision, DF3, I did congratulate you on your completion, especially so after such a gruelling time. "

I know you did, but what Im saying is that I didnt need it. Because I said before the marathon that completing one wasnt such a big achievement, and having done that I stick by it.

As for training, I couldnt train properly, whether you believe that or not is an entirely seperate issue.

06/05/2013 at 20:59
Crazy Diamond wrote (see)

Or are you D2D trying to get Stevieboy on side by playing bromance?......hmmmmmm? 

*Dr Evil finger thing*

I think Stevie is happy enough with his girl gang....

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 21:00
06/05/2013 at 20:59

DF3, I think if you must measure it you could do worse than looking at the amount of effort the person has put into training and improving. I'm pretty sure there are some people you've been taking the piss out of who worked really quite hard to train for a slow marathon time, and for them completing the course genuinely is an achievement to be proud of, especially as you'd have bailed out in their position if there'd been a sweeper car to climb into.

And those people will probably be back next year, working just as hard for an improvement that you 'can't be bothered' to go for.

06/05/2013 at 21:01
Screamapillar wrote (see)

*Dr Evil finger thing*

Yeah, the Screamy-Lit-Mik Gang, as I probably shouldn't call them, are probably a safer bet.

06/05/2013 at 21:02
kaz1 wrote (see)

I had an emergency appendectomy which I thought had blown all thoughts of completing Paris Marathon. 7 weeks out(no exercise whatsoever), then 6 weeks of minimal training and I completed the marathon in 3:59:13. now to many that is rubbish but to me it was a real achievement..........no matter what anyone says!!

But thats the thing, based on what you have said then it is a real achievement. An 80 year old running a 4 hour 30 marathon is a real achivement.

But there are too many perfectly able bodied people (or even fat ones) who put their own achievements alongside of the ones above even though they've put far less effort in.

Like for instance, I have a medal from the Neolithic marathon. Its the same medal the 2nd place (and probably 1st place) winner got. Does that make us equal? Nope ........ but some people kid themselves that what theyve done is virtually the same.

06/05/2013 at 21:04
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

*Dr Evil finger thing*

Yeah, the Screamy-Lit-Mik Gang, as I probably shouldn't call them, are probably a safer bet.

Woah!  Screamy!  You're in a gang and you didn't tell me?  I may have to dip DF3's dummy in tar and fling it at you. 

06/05/2013 at 21:04

and it obviously is all relative with race performance.

As a 18-40 bloke, with big passion, and plenty of time to train, I wouldn't dream of comparing myself times wise to a 50year old woman who has proper commitments, possibly limiting factors like physical weakness etc.

You compare like for like, and personally I look at those faster than me, but in a similar boat, then those who are looking to get something completely different out of it

ps I've never done a marathon, but i'd still say it's a worthy achievement simply finishing one.

Obviously after that the expectations would quickly ramp up!!

06/05/2013 at 21:07
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

But its just about being sensible .......... 1 year should be enough to go from just over 22 to 18 ....... thats just over 4 minutes to knock off.

Should be doeable

sub 18 still requires a degree of natural talent which you don't appear to have.

06/05/2013 at 21:07
Stevie G . wrote (see)

We're probably a bit better at running, anyway.

06/05/2013 at 21:08
kaz1 wrote (see)

I had an emergency appendectomy which I thought had blown all thoughts of completing Paris Marathon. 7 weeks out(no exercise whatsoever), then 6 weeks of minimal training and I completed the marathon in 3:59:13. now to many that is rubbish but to me it was a real achievement..........no matter what anyone says!!

But thats the thing, based on what you have said then it is a real achievement. An 80 year old running a 4 hour 30 marathon is a real achivement.

But there are too many perfectly able bodied people (or even fat ones) who put their own achievements alongside of the ones above even though they've put far less effort in.

Like for instance, I have a medal from the Neolithic marathon. Its the same medal the 2nd place (and probably 1st place) winner got. Does that make us equal? Nope ........ but some people kid themselves that what theyve done is virtually the same.

Unfuckinbelievable.

06/05/2013 at 21:09
literatin wrote (see)

DF3, I think if you must measure it you could do worse than looking at the amount of effort the person has put into training and improving. I'm pretty sure there are some people you've been taking the piss out of who worked really quite hard to train for a slow marathon time, and for them completing the course genuinely is an achievement to be proud of, especially as you'd have bailed out in their position if there'd been a sweeper car to climb into.

And those people will probably be back next year, working just as hard for an improvement that you 'can't be bothered' to go for.

Actually there would probably be very few ACTUAL examples of people Ive taken the piss out of that could genuinely be proud of their efforts. Take for example a certain mother/daughter combo in the Brighton marathon. They signed up a full year beforehand. Had no discernable injuries throughout, yet somehow took over 7 hours, and it wasnt like they were injured because they both jogged over the finishing line. 1 year of training for that??? Cmon ......... I hobbled around for over half a marathon and still finished an hour faster than them. How does that work?? Yet they were both patting themselves on the back for it. Give me a break.

I think to be honest, this is all part of a much wider picture in society where we cant say anything 'mean' or have to always be supportive. Me giving some people a wake up call is probably far more helpful to them than a bunch of strangers just saying 'well done' everytime they blow their nose.

06/05/2013 at 21:10
kaz1 wrote (see)

Unfuckinbelievable.

Which part was that aimed at ........... the fat comment or the completing the marathon makes us all winners comment?

(I get a feeling I touched a raw nerve with the fat comment though)

06/05/2013 at 21:12
Stevie G . wrote (see)

ps I've never done a marathon, but i'd still say it's a worthy achievement simply finishing one.

Its not. Trust me, its overrated.

121 to 140 of 317 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.