I will never run a marathon again.... like ever....

stupid concept anyway

1 to 20 of 265 messages
05/05/2013 at 18:24

You poor sod. Regardless of anything you've posted on here about doing it, or other people's efforts, that's got to hurt and you have my sympathy.

Get some ice on those knobbly nuggets of pain.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
05/05/2013 at 18:26

Fair play DF3, put your feet up and enjoy a beer or two.

05/05/2013 at 18:27

well played old son.

Agree how pointless marathons are though, and I don't need to do one to say that!

Sounds thoroughly miserable.

05/05/2013 at 18:29

You get credit for sticking it out to the end and not DNF-ing. Although from the sound of it perhaps it might have been wiser ...

Piss-poor time for a young fit bloke, of course

But well done for doing it and for keeping your word.

Now stand still while they all queue up and slap you across the face with a wet fish

05/05/2013 at 18:32

Oh dear!

Well, you finished it though, that's an achievement . I'm sure you learnt something from the whole experience so take a well earnt rest now and come back stronger.

05/05/2013 at 18:43

There's a problem with the title of your thread according to this quote....

"So for me, my definition of running a marathon, is you need to have run the whole course at all times with no stopping. It doesnt matter if you are a going slowly but I think once you begin to walk, thats it, you can't truly say you've ran a marathon."

Remove the words "run" or "again", otherwise the author of the above quote will be along to sort you out.

05/05/2013 at 18:44

What a top Trooper! That must have been one hell of an effort to keep going. I have just donated the money I said I would to Tiggywinkles. Congratulations for finishing and I can recommend a good physio if you need one!

Pudge    pirate
05/05/2013 at 18:49

So, if you are never going to cover the distance again, it seems that you will never actually get to RUN a marathon.

Shame.

Well done though.

05/05/2013 at 18:57

I had so many quotes to pick from, it was hard to know which one to use  

Out of curiosity.... are you in the VLM ballot this year?  

05/05/2013 at 18:58

So what charidee is all this in aid of then?

If I put in a fiver, can I point and laugh?

Psst, DF3, a couple of years ago I did an event of three marathons in three days along a pretty wild coastal path route: took me about 6 hours, about 7 hours and over 9 hours (!!)

05/05/2013 at 19:06
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

oh and to top it off two army guys carrying 40kb backpacks passed me at 23 miles. and i saw them at the start so i knew they had done the whole marathon.

05/05/2013 at 19:08

shit i am in the vlm ballot. well i'll never get in anyway lol

That's what I thought last year.

I'm sure that, if there is a God, you will get in this time. 

pudge lol. that is right. the way i see it is my best time for 5k  is 22.14 and 10k is 46.39. So Id rather improve those times and be ok at that than all the time and effort required in marathon training just so I can be OK at that.

With those times you could achieve a respectable marathon time. Assuming you actually did some training, of course.

05/05/2013 at 19:17

Ouch. It does sound like the injury combined with the lack of training to screw you over, though. After all, you've run more than 10 miles before so you know you can get further than that under normal circumstances.

But don't worry, if you get into London it'll be nice and flat.

Pudge    pirate
05/05/2013 at 19:22

thats the thing i cant be bothered running around for 20 miles in a training run. plus i also quite like swimming so aquathalons seem like the most sensible options. people who do ultras must have a screw loose.

Not really. Different folks, different strokes, thats all.

05/05/2013 at 19:33

DF, now I know you support the dreaded Liverpool you've gone down in my estimation.

and yes, I did pick this nickname before their main player adopted the name! Roll on that clown retiring!

05/05/2013 at 19:35

thats the thing i cant be bothered running around for 20 miles in a training run. plus i also quite like swimming so aquathalons seem like the most sensible options. people who do ultras must have a screw loose.

you'll never convince me doing 20mile training runs is anything but bonkers, but if you want to do a marathon you need to do at least 4-5 of these, if you want to come even close to doing yourself justice!

I like the people who do marathons off 20-30miles a week...how could that possibly be aqeduate when the bloody race is almost your total mileage?

05/05/2013 at 19:35

If you can't be bothered doing lsrs, then any marathon is always likely to be a bad day at the office. Look at Mo Farah...

05/05/2013 at 19:37

I think D2D was also a devotee of the "no long runs" approach. She used to crash and burn quite regularly as a result.

05/05/2013 at 19:38

Still the case i'm afraid JB...that and racing when injured...

05/05/2013 at 19:43

ah good news then

and completely misread from me

1 to 20 of 265 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.