I'm thinking of doing it when I'm abroad...

(running that is)

1 to 20 of 46 messages
LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/06/2009 at 08:27

Don't worry - I've not fractured anything and it's not a rant. This might even be my first ever "non clubhouse" thread!

I just wondered if anybody had any advice about training while you're on your jollies? I'm off to Portugal in July for a fortnight and I've never really been one for doing much training whilst away, but Mr LB used to get up religiously at 6am when we were in St Tropez and he would plod for up to 17 miles because that's what his schedule would say.

I've built in an extra two weeks into my training programme because I can't imagine I will want to do huge distances, but I would like to know if other people just stick to what the schedule says, amend it or simply get down to the bar and forget about it?

And what about safety? Would you bother wearing a Doberman alarm? It's all very well Mr LB plodding all over the Cote d'Azur, but I'm a girlie and I might feel a bit vulnerable....

Any advice greatly appreciated. Ta muchly.

03/06/2009 at 08:41
What about a bit of cross training in the pool too?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/06/2009 at 08:43
Good plan Cinders! I usually do their aqua aerobics sessions when they're available, but they're no substitute for a plod - they just make me feel better about being a lazy cow...
03/06/2009 at 08:45

I genuinely always run on a more regular basis I& tend to plod every day when I am on holiday because I don't have the work/dog walking/normal life demands to contend with & it's also a great trade off for then just lounging around ,eating & drinking what you damn well like.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/06/2009 at 08:47
Would you get up dead early then like Mr LB or go later? I'd really like to avoid the sun - and you've seen my colouring!
03/06/2009 at 08:48

Earlier the better!

Not too dissimilar from mine LB

Edited: 03/06/2009 at 08:48
03/06/2009 at 08:48

LB - when I was away last year I didn't worry about doing any hard training - it was just too hot! Instead I just did 4-5 miles every other evening at a steady pace. I was in Gran Canaria and I'd go out about 7pm when there were loads of other people around (plus other runners) and I stuck to the touristy areas so I wasn't at all worried about safety.

Have a good holiday.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/06/2009 at 08:54

Cheers Ferdy! We're thinking along similar lines....

03/06/2009 at 10:55

LB - I'm on hols in a couple of weeks. The first week on my hols is the first week of marathon training, therefore i already started my training a couple of weeks in advance and  going to repeat week 1 and 2 while i'm away which are low mileage.

So it up early do my run and back before the other half wakes up. Hence it doesn't spoil her holiday and if i feel tried i can always have a kip during the day.

Oh back to your question - Earlier the better.

03/06/2009 at 11:10

Wot othes said - frequent, easy and early. I try and go out every day at the crack of dawn (when its lovely and cool and there are no crowds to get in the way) and go for a short run at easy pace.

I find its too hot to do anything like speedwork and too dificult finding a decent route to go for long runs (plus it cuts into family time).

Nam
03/06/2009 at 11:14
LB I've run in Cuba, Egypt, India, Qatar etc... never had any problems whatsoever...  Stick your lushous locks under a baseball cap and get on with it.  Enjoy.
Edited: 03/06/2009 at 11:14
Nam
03/06/2009 at 11:15
And yes to the earlier the better.  Sunrise runs are lovely.   Funny how I can't do them here. 
03/06/2009 at 11:44

I'd run if I was on holiday.

But I'm saving up as my OH and I are moving into a beautiful cottage at the end of the month so can't spend a penny.

03/06/2009 at 11:50
I know everyone else said early, but do you really want to get up early on holiday? (or is it just me who is lazy?!). I went to France last summer, and preferred to run in the evening before dinner. Yes it was hot, yes it was hard, but there was nothing better than getting straight in the pool to cool off afterwards....and then having a well earned cold beer!
LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/06/2009 at 12:01
Nam wrote (see)
LB I've run in Cuba, Egypt, India, Qatar etc... never had any problems whatsoever...  Stick your lushous locks under a baseball cap and get on with it.  Enjoy.

Trust you to say it how it is!

I shall JFDI and think of you then! I'm not quite up to IM standard yet - can you tell?

Thanks for all your tips guys - appreciate it.

Nam
03/06/2009 at 12:18
Honestly LB never been harrassed or anything, just loads of friendly hellos from local fishermen waving at you.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/06/2009 at 12:25

Waving or drowning?

Having fallen in looking at your boobs?

Journopig    pirate
03/06/2009 at 12:55
Stop worrying LB, and just do it. I go to Spain every year, and run in the mornings there. I love it - I get to see sights I wouldn't necessarily see with the kids, and I've never had any hassle at all despite there being lots of fishermen etc around at that time.

My long runs are probably a bit shorter when I'm away, but it's never done me any harm (touch wood)!

Now go and buy some nice summer running clothes.
03/06/2009 at 13:13
The last few times i've run whilst on my holibobs i've found a gym and just done some quick stuff on the treadie. I normally hate the quick sharp interval type thingies so it's a perfect opportunity.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/06/2009 at 14:25

Well if you're doing it, MT, I've GOT to do it!

You're much more of a wuss than I am......

1 to 20 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.