Need help here, is my HIIT ok?
Well I had been running for a while and thought I was pretty fit for a 31 year old male. I then started this Interval Training.
- I heard somewhere to do this. On the treadmill, run very fast for 8 seconds, then hop to the sides and rest, with your feet on the sides, for 12 seconds. Then repeat, for 20 minutes, all to lose fat.
- I normally can run at a level 8 (on treadmill) for 30 minutes straight pretty easily. So I decided to try Interval Training.
- After a 5 minute warm-up and stretching, I went to a level 13 on the treadmill. 8 seconds running, then 12 seconds standing on the sides. After 5 minutes I felt like I was breathing razor blades and had to stop.
- Now, I do the warm-up, then run very fast at level 16. 8 seconds running fast, and 12 seconds standing on the sides, for 30 minutes straight, all the way through.
- My heart rate is at over 170 for half the time, and between 179 - 189 for at least 12 minutes. I don't feel sick either. Right at the very end after 30 or 35 minutes. I keep running at level 16 for maybe 80 seconds non-stop and my heart rates goes to 200 bpm. It's kind of addictive for me to do that right at the end, I feel a little sick in the guts when I slow right down and am fighting hard for breath like you wouldn't believe, but my heart rates drops down pretty easily in about a minute.
- I then walk at a level 6, then 5, then 4, for a cool-off period.
- I then do more stretching, then eat some protein and a small bowl of pasta with no sauce.
- The reason why I'm after some confirmation, is because I keep reading how people are running as fast as they can, then for a rest or recovery period, are jogging or walking slowly. I just hate adjusting the speeds on my treadmill all the time. Plus from level 16, down to level 5 on my treadmill takes like 13 seconds.
- So is what I'm doing OK?
- I've been doing this about 3 or 2 days a week, other days in the week I go back to just doing a 30 minute lower level running. I also lift weights 2 or 3 times a week.
- all for about 2 months in total. I havent really lost any weight. But I think I've lost fat. I can tell by my waistline and visible muscles.
- I'm 31, male, 6 foot, 86 kg
try doing your intervals outside, its a little easier to adjust your speed as you will not be governed by what the treadmill is doing.
Actually i would say try doing all your running outside but thats another argument. . .
sounds quite dangerous to be leaping on and off the treadmill ( i know its to the sides) at those speeds........amazed you haven't done yourself an injury.....
what is the actual benefit of these runs can someone clarify....you state fat burning.is that why you are doing them......
You need longer reps for endurance running (5k+). The reps should be in minutes rather than seconds and so should the interval between reps.
Excuse my bluntness, but that programme sounds mental.
8seconds basically sprinting, 12seconds standing still, repeated for 30minutes!?
This sounds like something off that "insanity" programme, where some plastic pec man mountain tells you to do flat out reps with tiny rests until you basically collapse.
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Excuse my bluntness, but that programme sounds mental. 8seconds basically sprinting, 12seconds standing still, repeated for 30minutes!? This sounds like something off that "insanity" programme, where some plastic pec man mountain tells you to do flat out reps with tiny rests until you basically collapse.
You didn't reveal the elephant in the room SG, that you can run that fast for 75 minutes in one go.
To the OP. I'm not kidding, he can.
Hi all, i have been doing interval training for a while now. I was told to do a minute of the fastest you can handle. ( the words were till your eyes water) then a minute of recovery run. and repeat that process for 20mins max.
Visit the official Runner's World page
Follow Runner's World on Twitter
Other Natmag-Rodale Sites
Run For Charity
About Runner's World
Runner's World is a publication of Hearst Magazines UK which is the trading name of The National Magazine Company Ltd, 72 Broadwick Street, London, W1F 9EP. Registered in England 112955. All rights reserved.
Website powered by: Immediate Media Company Ltd. | © Runner's World 2002-2014 |