Interview Questions

best and worst / any pointers?

1 to 20 of 22 messages
w
26/05/2004 at 14:47
Hi all.

I am about to start interviewing for someone to work for me and its my first time (awww). Does anyone have any good or bad questions that they have asked or been asked in the past or any general pointers for me?

Contributions gratefully received!
26/05/2004 at 14:52
presumably you have a job spec...
presumably they've provided a cv/letter that implies they fulfill this job spec...

ask questions that show they have the right skills (as per the spec) and have used them effectively. i.e. what do you think about.... what would you do if... can you think of an example where you....

etc.

just a few thoughts.. maybe totally inappropriate as most of my stuff is technically based.
26/05/2004 at 14:53
errrm, if you have a website they should at least have looked at it, they should know why they are applying for the job, what they can offer you, and what you can offer them (training wise etc). those are the basics i prepare before interviews.

Ask them what they imagine the job would entail day to day/ month to month, in case they are wildly wrong about what you will expect from them.
26/05/2004 at 14:55
One of my old bosses used to ask

"when you look at yourself naked in the mirror what do you see"

He annoyed when someone said "a sex god who is out of you league" annd then got up and walked out.

Don't ask this question. You would be an idiot if you did.
26/05/2004 at 14:56
If they person you are interviewing has the right skills the only question to ask yourself is would you go for a drink with this person after work, ask about their hobbies and interests. Also decide what type of person you want to work with, someone who chats and socializes all day or whatever.
26/05/2004 at 15:01
"Where do you see yourself in five years"...

...like, don't ask it!
26/05/2004 at 15:10
W,

Couple of pointers from me for what its worth.

Ask 'open' questions, ie, ones that don't ellicit just a yes or a no.

Depending on person spec and the skills you are looking for, ask for examples of a time they have done such and such. You are looking for specifics, not generic stuff, or hypothetical situations.

Ask what they consider their strengths are

Ask what they consider their weaknesses are

Ask why they want the job and what they have to offer you.

General point, you should avoid sexist questions, ie. don't ask a woman how she would cope with her kids in the school holidays - unless of course you ask the same of a man.

Finally - don't make assumptions based on their written application, keep an open mind.

Good luck LL

w
26/05/2004 at 15:42
Thank you all, I think this is a good start.

Gumpos, that question is hillarious - and I thought my boss was a sexual deviant when I came for interview, he wasn't nearly as bad as that!
26/05/2004 at 16:00
How about the random stuff like "If you were an item of kitchen equipment, what would you be and why?"

Show's the person has imagination at least which would be a requirement in many creative positions.
26/05/2004 at 16:00
In fact, that's almost good enough to be a forum question :)
26/05/2004 at 16:01
Bet you're all looking for it on the list now eh? LOL - nope - am not gonna lower myself to that level today :)
26/05/2004 at 16:23
I once got asked "Why should we remember you?" which completely threw me for six! Woffled on about wearing a bright blue shirt.... needless to say I didn't get the job. But afterwards thought it was quite a good question - makes them think on their feet, and not have any prepared answers to boring questions, which anyone can do. But then again, maybe its only worthwhile if the position will need someone to be able to think on their feet and make decisions quickly!
not sure if thats any help?
w
26/05/2004 at 16:32
hmm yes i like it.
this is quite a creative job, when I was interviewed I got asked about my favourite shoes and what I would wear with them.
26/05/2004 at 17:03
Your favourite socks?
26/05/2004 at 17:08
your lucky pants.
w
26/05/2004 at 17:12
its like you read my mind...
26/05/2004 at 17:15
These questions like "what do you see when you look in a mirror", or "why should I remember you?" are pointless. What are you supposed to say? "I'm Michael Barrymore"?, "I've got a 13 inch knob"? "I've just wet myself"?

Nah, these sort of questions are only asked by jumped-up oiks trying to show off in front of the junior note-taker.

You do not want to to work for these people.

Trust me.

The 3-month probation period will become a thing of the past soon so employers may have to take recruitment seriously rather than using it as some sort smart-ass jerk-off exercise for some anally-retentive, sex-starved (low to) middle manager who has probably never ever done it with a girl and still lives with his mum.

Not that I like to generalise you understand

:-)
26/05/2004 at 22:26
Blimey, Chimp, you're not in HR are you?!

Very refreshing!
27/05/2004 at 18:28
When I applied for a promotion at work the interviewer asked the dreaded question 'What do you consider to be your bad points?'
I came up with the very sharp answer 'I would say that my worst point is that I get very annoyed when I'm working hard, and the people around me are not pulling their weight.'
By turning the question around to my advantage like this I got the job.
27/05/2004 at 20:54
But Rickster, what the hell does answering a question about your bad points tell anyone anthing about your suitability for a job?

For a start off everyone lies "oh I'm too much of a perfectionist" is a common one. Yeah right. I'd love someone to say "I'm a lazy b*st*rd" or "I look down ladies tops when they think I'm not looking" but of course no-one does.

I'm a scruffy git so I always trot that out but I have worse faults believe me but I sure as hell aint going to tell anyone I want to give me a job.
1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.