Is an healthy diet that important to running performance

Addicted to chocolate

21 to 29 of 29 messages
21/02/2013 at 17:12

I don't think the jury is really out to be honest - especially if you stick 'refined' in front of carbohydrate.

21/02/2013 at 17:34

Of course, the most important factors are a genetic predisposition, getting older, obesity (and too many carbs can play a part in making one obese) and physical inactivity. The jury is out because of people like me - slim, not that old, no genetic predisposition, active all my life. I think it's clear that 'simply eating too much sugar causes diabetes' is a myth - people get confused anyway about what it is we have to be careful with: it's all carbs, not just sugar, which is a type of carb.

21/02/2013 at 17:47

I am assuming you are type II then from what you are saying.  I know it is possible for fit otherwise healthy individuals to develop type 1 as adults ( a la steve redgrave) but it not be type 2 - i.e. it's not diet related but because of pancreatic problems.  

21/02/2013 at 17:48

and there are always outliers - it just means you are special 

21/02/2013 at 17:58

Well, the truth is that they're not sure what I am. I've been treated as a type 2, but control has proved difficult. I'm now on the much more stringent carb-counting regime for a trial period, which is what type 1s tend to do. Makes for much better control, but it's fiddly and time-consuming. Better than dying though.

21/02/2013 at 18:07
Hi thanks for the responses, I had a colestrial test a couple of weeks ago and it came back excellent, Heart rate is in the low 40,s . I am 37 so should really look after myself a bit better especially if I want to run an half in 1:25.
21/02/2013 at 18:10

Good nutrition is never a bad investment. Whether it's because you look better (healthy skin, hair etc etc) or because your insides are healthier or because your body will respond better to the training you are doing.

21/02/2013 at 18:11

@ Peter  - Well good luck with it - I hope you find a solution that isn't too difficult to implement.  I know it is a bugger of a condition at times.

21/02/2013 at 20:33
AgentGinger wrote (see)

I heard that Ranulph Feinnes trekked for weeks in the Antarctic fuelled on packets of lurpack and dead huskies.

They do packets of dead huskies now? Excellent news. I hope they come ready peeled though.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.