Is it possible/wise to run a marathon if you haven't done the long runs?

21 to 37 of 37 messages
17/05/2012 at 22:35
NO. You will get injured. Remember Jade Goody.
17/05/2012 at 22:38

I had a very similar story to runs-with-dogs; having run 2 1.50 half marathons but nothing further, I ran the dartmoor vale marathon in October. It was HORRIFIC. I didn't take enough food and was eating jelly babies off the floor by about 15 miles

The run was part of some fundraising and although I was walking like I'd sh*t myself for the next week it was one of the most rewarding things i've ever done! Even managed a sub 4.30! I'd say go for it, just be warned that once you've done one you won't be able to stop... I've done 8 since

17/05/2012 at 23:37

Depends on how good an athlete you are. If you are a 3 - 3 1/2 hr marathon runner or better running 30 - 40 mpw+ and the only issue is lack of long runs then take a minute a mile off your pace and fuel and hydrate like crazy. Gels and sports drinks.

If you are a 4+hr runner then you are going to struggle

17/05/2012 at 23:46

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Slowfoot and JimBob. I'll definitely update this thread with how I get on, Cougie. I laughed at the thought of crying at the sight of stairs, Tim; while I still can laugh. I'm definitely in the 4+ hours group, Piers. My base pace is 7:45, which I could only maintain for 3 miles. For a marathon, I would aim for 9 minute miles, but prepared to walk when it become too much. The furthest I've ever run is 16 miles, so I would assume I could at least run that far. But at that pace and walking the final part, I would be pleased if I came in within 5 hours.

Jade Goody reportedly did just 4 hours of training, so the outcome of her marathon attempt wasn't surprising.

17/05/2012 at 23:55
Take it slow, fuel as if your life depended on it. Stick to your strategy and say some prayers! Do not think at mile 3 this feels OK and run too fast. Good luck.
18/05/2012 at 00:07

Gez lemon - I ran (sorry) completed the London marathon this year, after missing out on 5 weeks training due to injury. My longest run had been 14 miles, but I decided to do it anyway. I ran / walked from the start (at every mile marker I walked for a couple of minutes), and I took it very gently.

I had a great time, loved every minute of it. yes by mile 17 my hips were killing me, yes it took a very long time, but I'm glad I did it. I've even already signed up for Brighton next year, looknig for a new PB

18/05/2012 at 00:13

Black and Tabby - fantastic; that's very encouraging, and sounds like a good strategy

Thanks, Piers. I'm a salty sweater, so plan to take electrolyte tablets to have at the water stations, and enough gels to top-up every 40 minutes. I haven't practiced enough with gels. I've managed PowerBar gels up to 13 miles and they've been fine, but when I ran 16 miles (only ever did that once), I found it difficult to take the final gel.

18/05/2012 at 00:31
Gez, whatever pace you're thinking of, add some more time on.
11 min miles still gets you around in under 5 hours, and time really isn't that important.

Might leave you in a much better state at 16 miles rather than legs gone and also totally wrecked for days after.
18/05/2012 at 01:00

Fit-Running-Cat, good advice, thank you. I'm expecting to have to take 1 week off afterwards, but would rather not be totally wrecked. I want to enjoy the event, so running slower seems a good option.

18/05/2012 at 08:55

Gez lemon - having typed my reply last night, thought of a few other things.

1. Don't have a time in mind. Your aim is to get around and enjoy it and finish

2. If you take it steady from the start, you will be running past people who went out too fast and are walking/staggering by the end - most satisfying!

3. if you need some inspirational reading, I recommend The non-runner's marathon Trainer Too late for the training, but some really great motivation PMA stuff!

4. Good luck -and do let us know whow you get on!

18/05/2012 at 15:37

Black and Tabby - thanks very much for the pointers. I'll take it steady and post back here how I get on.

27/05/2012 at 19:52
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, as your advice definitely helped. I ran a lot slower than I originally intended, so was quite pleased with 4:46 in the end. The weather was a lot hotter than I would have liked, but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll make sure I train properly for the next one, as I now have an easy PBS to beat
27/05/2012 at 20:17

Well done Gez - 4.46 with or without a perfect training plan in that heat today is a remarkable achievement - enjoy the celebration !

Edited: 27/05/2012 at 20:18
27/05/2012 at 22:35
Thanks, Suse. Hopefully, I'll still be able to walk tomorrow
28/05/2012 at 01:26
Ace time Gez. Sounds like you stuck to my suggestion?

It was a really nice run I thought today.

How are the legs though? Trashed or pretty good.?
28/05/2012 at 07:29

Bloody good time Gez. You did well just getting round unscathed, I think. The heat did me in after 16 miles and I really struggled despite having done tons of training. I saw loads of people collapsed and paramedics putting in IV drips at the side of the road, which was a bit scary...

28/05/2012 at 08:19
My legs were tight when I got up this morning and I thought I was going to struggle, but they were okay after a few steps. They keep feeling tight after I've been sitting, but they're fine after walking a bit.

It was a nice run, but I agree it was scary seeing people struggling by the side of the road on the way around. I also noticed people collapsed and needing medical attention in the baggage collection area. I think it would have been better if it was a few degrees cooler, or more mist off the sea.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.