Is Lance Armstrong now a toxic brand?

1000 pages of evidence that he was The King of Doping

41 to 60 of 118 messages
12/10/2012 at 10:03

Thanks PB. Always nice to add some intellectual comment to the debate.

On a more serious note - look at this to see how Wiggin's comments vary to the standard 'I've never tested positive' response to the doping question.

12/10/2012 at 10:11
Joolska wrote (see)

Just read the first half of the 200 pages.  Pretty depressing stuff.  I really hope we are now in a new era of predominantly clean cycling.  As has already been said, if someone like Wiggo or Cav turns out to have been doping, it will be disastrous for the sport.  And it makes you pray that the testing regime for endurance running is up to scratch!

A few people have said this...  but I'm not sure it's a good argument.  Surely after a litany of drugs debacles in the eighties and nineties - then people must have been saying "wow, pretty depressing stuff. If it ever turned out that Lance Armstong has been doping, that would be the end"

12/10/2012 at 10:17

Ha...  was just reading a bit on drugs cheating..  and came across a story from 1984 that made me laugh.  Where an Irish rider sneakily avoided the drugs testers by submitting a mechanic's urine instead of his own.  But unfortunately, the mechanic had been forced to work long hours, and had been taking banned stimulants to keep himself awake  

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/may99/may20.shtml

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 10:18
12/10/2012 at 10:26
Keir wrote (see)

Thanks PB. Always nice to add some intellectual comment to the debate.

On a more serious note - look at this to see how Wiggin's comments vary to the standard 'I've never tested positive' response to the doping question.

That's a great article, thanks for posting the link! My favourite part:

"I am not willing to risk all those things I've got in my life. I do it because I love it. I don't do it for a power trip... What I love is doing my best and working hard. If I felt I had to take drugs, I would rather stop tomorrow, go and ride club 10-mile time trials, ride to the cafe on Sundays, and work in Tesco stacking shelves."

12/10/2012 at 10:32

Does anyone know who will get the TdF titles if the UCI accept the USADA report?

Jan Ullrich was the next best rider in many tours, but he's also been discredited for doping and stripped of his palmeres. Floyd Landis etc were also discredited/banned in that period.

Will the TdF record book just have a blank for the whole of the "noughties"? 

12/10/2012 at 10:37

It's not just the TDF either is it; the whole pro cycling scene and races that have been affected. Will they just wipe out all results ?

12/10/2012 at 10:41

Why not just inject a syringe shaped astrix next to each result?

xine267 wrote (see)
That's a great article, thanks for posting the link! My favourite part:

"I am not willing to risk all those things I've got in my life. I do it because I love it. I don't do it for a power trip... What I love is doing my best and working hard. If I felt I had to take drugs, I would rather stop tomorrow, go and ride club 10-mile time trials, ride to the cafe on Sundays, and work in Tesco stacking shelves."

As if! Does he really believe that he could repeatedly lift 5kg boxes of washing powder up to chest height without his matchstick arms snapping?

12/10/2012 at 10:55

Maybe he is taking some drugs to make his arms stronger ?

12/10/2012 at 11:46
PhilPub wrote (see)

...I'm not a violent man but I've got as far as p157 and I want to punch Lance Armstrong in the face.

As you were...

Just got to that page (resisted temptation to skip ahead after you mentioned it!) ... what a complete **** !!

I'm surprised that no-one brought harassment charges against him.

12/10/2012 at 12:11

Here is another ex-team mates views - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2216492/Lance-Armstrong-latest-Brian-Smith-told-cyclist-hed-drugs-sacked.html

12/10/2012 at 18:02
carterusm wrote (see)

It's not just the TDF either is it; the whole pro cycling scene and races that have been affected. Will they just wipe out all results ?

I think it's kind of an irrelevant question. How can anyone talk about the competitions in those periods which were totally skewed by doping enhanced riders, and expect there to be a legitimate and meaningful outcome? If you were a non-doper, you may have bust a gut on a mountain climb to stay within 5 minutes of the #KingoftheDopers and totally compromised yourself for the coming 3-4 days. If you had been racing on a level playing field, that probably wouldn't have happened. Those dopers changed the whole nature of the events so none of the results are valid.

Who cares what happened in 2003 TDF? You never hear Andy Schleck referring to himself as the Winner of the 2010 TDF because of the Chlenbuterol Kid! Surely all effort has to be directed and ridding the sport of these cheaters - riders, managers, "doctors" and organisers - so it can have a credible future.

12/10/2012 at 18:10

I'm so gutted too :-/. I read books about him and really looked up to him.

12/10/2012 at 18:25

he was the best

he is still the best

they never found drags in his blad in eney test they made

its all wich hunting

12/10/2012 at 18:56
yoel yavnieli wrote (see)

he was the best

he is still the best

its all wich hunting

Have you got all his drags in your blad?

12/10/2012 at 19:02
yoel yavnieli wrote (see)

he was the best

he is still the best

its all wich hunting

What sort of prick are you? Clearly you are the spokesman for Nike's marketing department. I have the impression you misguided oafs think you can repackage the Armstrong brand the way you did with Tiger Woods. Well it won't work. Woods bashed a fire hydrant running away from his missus. Armstrong just bashed himself.

12/10/2012 at 20:11

what about bolt,ronaldo,all the 100 meter runners are they clean?

12/10/2012 at 20:15

tell me does eney bodey have sample

with drug?

or you just belive what they want you to belive.

when you get asmple let me see

12/10/2012 at 20:22
I don't have a sample, but I can get you a dictionary to help with the spelling.
12/10/2012 at 20:33

This isn't about Bolt or Ronaldo though is it? it's about a cheating scumbag cyclist. I hate to burst your bubble by the way but Ronaldo is not a 100 meter runner. Personally speaking, if someone was trying to bring charges, such as those against Armstrong, against me and I wasn't guilty then I absolutely would contest them. Him not contesting them speaks volumes.

12/10/2012 at 20:49

he contest them for years

he have no chance with the game lets prove lance guilty

even if wee dont have prove

41 to 60 of 118 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.