Is Lance Armstrong now a toxic brand?

1000 pages of evidence that he was The King of Doping

81 to 100 of 118 messages
17/10/2012 at 16:13

"I accept that in practice they may have to have some kind of reduced punishment but I think 6 months was a joke."

I suspect that in the fullness of time, WADA and/or UCI (*gah..*) may have something to say about that and recommend a 2 year ban as per the rules.   I can't see why USADA should let them get off so lightly even if they did fess up.   

when Marion Jones fessed up to doping (despite never testing positive "technically" (she failed one EPO test but the B sample was negative)) as her input into the Balco affair - she didn't get 6 months - she got 2 years athetics ban (she'd already retired), a 6 month jail sentence for perjury, and all her wins back to 2000 annulled including her Olympics titles.

the guys who have fessed to USADA should equally get the full duration ban and any wins annulled imho

Edited: 17/10/2012 at 16:14
17/10/2012 at 16:43

There is very compelling evidence in the USADA report that LA took EPO and testosterone, both banned substances, so please don't let us go down the path of "what is cheating anyway?"

Someone told me that LA actually testified under oath that he did not dope during a lawsuit against sports performance insurers, who refused to pay his bonus for winning the TdF in 2004. But he'll probably get away with perjury because it must be timebarred under the statute of limitations.

17/10/2012 at 16:56

In the paper now it's saying that Nike have terminated their contract with LA, claiming he misled them.

17/10/2012 at 16:58

They have, but will still "support Livestrong" (... "until we have sold all the Livestrong products cluttering up our stockrooms" is what I read into that)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/cycling/story/2012/10/17/sp-uci-usada-cycling-nike-lance-armstrong.html

Edited: 17/10/2012 at 16:59
17/10/2012 at 17:17
xine267 wrote (see)

There is very compelling evidence in the USADA report that LA took EPO and testosterone, both banned substances, so please don't let us go down the path of "what is cheating anyway?"

Someone told me that LA actually testified under oath that he did not dope during a lawsuit against sports performance insurers, who refused to pay his bonus for winning the TdF in 2004. But he'll probably get away with perjury because it must be timebarred under the statute of limitations.

Yes I've read that too - the best we can hope for is he has to pay the multi million pound bonuses back and that the Sunday Times recoups the damages (preferably with costs) it had to pay him for calling him a doper.    

I see he has now stepped down from Livestrong (annoyingly I always read it as Live Strong - as in Live Aid) - maybe paving the way for a confession as he tries to rehabilitate his reputation.   Who knows - give it 3-4 years he could be heading up a charity for people who have come off drugs..

flyaway    pirate
17/10/2012 at 17:26
Ultra cougie wrote (see)
I don't like Vino either - but at least he served his ban. 

Did he? I thought he conveniently retired, thus avoiding a ban, and then made a come-back once the time period had elapsed?

Might be splitting hairs though, he wasnt riding for that two years.

You do have to be really dumb to forget your secret blood-bag name though.

cougie    pirate
17/10/2012 at 17:30

Aaah - I think you're right flyaway ! The Kunning Kazakh did. 

And i think its probably a problem with the names of his dog. Maybe him and his team mate had Rover and River or something. Easy mistake to mix up the blood bags then eh ?

17/10/2012 at 17:43

popsider - I'm glad he's stepped down from Livestrong, I think they need to distance themselves from him (as much as possible) in order to survive this.

Cake - I think its fair to say that LA is finished as far as professional sport is concerned. I can't imagine that he will have any public or peer support if he returns, its not just the drugs but the lying, bullying, coercion, and I'm sure a lot of sour grapes from people who were caught doping while Lance was still the golden boy. Plus he made a lot of people look like idiots for believing him and publically supporting him.

BUT, whether he makes a big comeback as a celeb selling his redemption story, and telling people about his "drugs hell" and how he only cheated for charidee is another story.

17/10/2012 at 19:38

The charity thing has always been a good support for the legend of Armstrong being Mr.Nice Guy, butter wouldn't melt and all that. It's not like there is only one cancer charity in the world to support either.

Have to say i am delighted that LA is going to take a hit in his bloated bank account, as well as having his personal brand washed away. He deserves no glory at all. Next I hope that SCA bring him to trial for perjury in the 2005 case where he lied under oath about not taking drugs. A jail sentence could follow.

Which makes me think of the other guy who was in freefall at high speed this week. At least with Baumgartner jumping out of his space balloon, he had a parachute. The only thing that will slow LA down is the ground when he hits it. I won't shed a tear.

17/10/2012 at 19:39
yoel yavnieli wrote (see)

i will buy from you all your livestrong items

Yoel. Ya ain't funny, not even close. It's not ironic, it's not satire, it's not parody even. You're just a bit sad really. Sorry about that.

Tommygun2    pirate
22/10/2012 at 12:20

Well the UCI have now ban him for life and stripped him of all his Tour titles.

22/10/2012 at 12:38

did they have much choice???  the UCI still needs to look itself in the mirror and do something about their own history and management as they have been complicit in the whole affair despite waht McQuad says.  and as for McQuaid not resigning - let's give him a few weeks until the shitstorm overtakes him as well

Tommygun2    pirate
22/10/2012 at 12:43

I am not surprised that he said he wouldn't resign (McQuaid) as people like him tend to be in it for the power rather than the good of the sport. But as you say, FB I can't see him lasting to long.  

flyaway    pirate
22/10/2012 at 22:27
He won't resign, more's the pity. But with a pinch of luck, he won't be re-elected next year either.
23/10/2012 at 07:06

Probably find out they were close friends of Jimmy Savile next.

23/10/2012 at 12:33

The UCI Management Committee meets this Friday in Geneva. The British representative on the committee is Brian Cookson and you can get through to him via the email address: info@britishcycling.org.uk

Why not write to him and ask that Honorary President Hein Verbruggen and current President Pat McQuaid be removed from their positions? They have been at the helm for the entire period of LA's systematic doping and were therefore responsible for the effectiveness of the anti-doping campaign that should have prevented the cheating that took place.

7 invalidated Tour de Frances are part of their legacy. As are the departure of major sponsors like Rabobank. That's their record. Time for a clean slate and totally new management. Time for the libel case against whistleblowes like journalist Paul Kimmage to be dropped.

Why not drop a line to Mr.Cookson and ask him what he is going to do (for British Cycling) about it?

23/10/2012 at 16:27

Tour de France winners tested positive, been sanctioned or admitted doping in recent years

1996 Bjarne Riis

1997 Jan Ullrich

1998 Marco Pantani

1999-2005 Lance Armstrong

2006 Floyd Landis

2007, 2009, 2010 Alberto Contador

It's no wonder people think they all cheat when you see that list.

mcs
23/10/2012 at 16:40

What money on Cadel Evans, have you seen his eyes?

23/10/2012 at 16:52

Not his fault, but then again, he's only an Australian.

23/10/2012 at 16:57

Hang on a mo, that could be racist. send the thought police.

81 to 100 of 118 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.