Is road racing outpricing the ordinary person?

It's getting far too expensive

101 to 120 of 149 messages
04/12/2012 at 12:55

I do a variety of distance including 5k's and I dont see the 5k's as a lot of travelling for a 20 minute ( I wish ) run. The cycling down there is good as is the cycling back and, you get to know people there after a while and can be chatting at the end for half an hour. So its a good couple of hours with a race in the middle which is totally free.

04/12/2012 at 13:08

Lol... I wasn't complaining (except about the extortionate fuel duty which is running the country into the ground... ) about running clubs, local races etc. I already travel the 9 miles to the area where the club is to see/collect my daughter 3 times a week, I can't "kill two birds with one stone" and do both in the same trip purely because of timings, otherwise I would. So making even more additional trips, sometimes on the same day isn't really feasible. I've thought about cycling, but then there's a time factor and I just wanted run, not cycle and run.

I was saying for me, at the moment, doing a few "local" bigger races at maybe slightly inflated prices is more cost efficient (and downright easier) than joining a club, getting there regularly, I wouldn't want to join a club and only go once a month, to me that would seem wrong, like you're just using them, I wouldn't feel "part" of the club.

As for the fuel cost that was done through google maps, and may have been exaggerated slightly

Start my own club? Yeah right, me and the badgers, foxes, rabbits, pheasants, weasels, stoats, rats, chickens, dogs, cats and octogenarians who live in the 24 houses that make up the megalopolis that is my village. That'll be a good club.

Oh, and for the record, my glass isn't half empty, what a ridiculous phrase that is.

My glass is fucking empty!

04/12/2012 at 13:18
derek hughes 4 wrote (see)

I do a variety of distance including 5k's and I dont see the 5k's as a lot of travelling for a 20 minute ( I wish ) run. The cycling down there is good as is the cycling back and, you get to know people there after a while and can be chatting at the end for half an hour. So its a good couple of hours with a race in the middle which is totally free.

That's fair enough and if I had a parkrun 9 miles away i'd happily do it several times a year, but mines 29 miles away, if I cycled it, it would take me an hour and a half at least to there and then I wouldn't want to race.

Again, for the people who can't seem to understand the difference between comment and complaint, i'm not complaining! It's no ones fault that there's not a parkrun closer, and before anyone says "organise you're own" yes I could, but I honestly cant think of any local park where you wouldn't have to do 10 laps to make up the three miles, you don't get "big" parks in the countryside here, there's no point in them because you can just walk outside.

04/12/2012 at 13:22
lardarse wrote (see)

Start my own club? Yeah right, me and the badgers, foxes, rabbits, pheasants, weasels, stoats, rats, chickens, dogs, cats and octogenarians who live in the 24 houses that make up the megalopolis that is my village. That'll be a good club.

You'd be almost certain to get the club's VLM place, though! 

cougie    pirate
04/12/2012 at 13:36

I dunno - I'm sure i've seen a few badgers running VLM. They love it they do...

LA - whats the difference in time between cycling and driving 9 miles ?

Leisurely 12mph cycle would have you there in 45 mins.

Driving at 30mph would take you 20 mins.  So overall 50 mins longer - but youve saved money and done cross training. 

04/12/2012 at 17:08

What i asked was a simple question in difficult financial times but did'nt expect so many sarcastic remarks, bloody hell some of you need to take some chill pills, we've all got the same interest & all entitled to their own opinion , just except it what it is, a question on a messageboard.

cougie    pirate
04/12/2012 at 17:09

Have you SEEEN the price of chill pills lately ?

04/12/2012 at 17:17

Lol.

04/12/2012 at 18:11
I'd have to drive miles to buy chill pills,
04/12/2012 at 18:12

You could always try the local pig farmer, he might be doing them on the cheap

04/12/2012 at 18:15
They don't farm pigs round our way
04/12/2012 at 18:50

You could set up your own pig farm!

04/12/2012 at 23:18

I'm afraid there's not much demand for pig farming in South Wales but when it comes to Sheep..........

seren nos yn canu    pirate
05/12/2012 at 08:13

join one of the gwent running clubs and you get 5 free road race of about 0k in summer and 5 free corss country races in winter,..................sorted

06/12/2012 at 20:47

Bluebirds, simple answer - yes. I agree alot of races seem expensive. I am a  Mum of 3 on maternity leave and find it hard to justify £25 + for a race when other things are of a higher priority. My local parkrun is 30 miles away. Stroud hm was £18 and well organised. Cost certainly limits the amount of races I can do at the moment.

06/12/2012 at 22:31

Vicky, that's exactly my thoughts, i'd love to enter more races but can no longer afford it & the same as you there are thing's of a higher priority, so the races i enter are now down to a handfull a year. I know people have mentioned parkruns & maybe i'll give them a try although it's not really a distance that relly  interests me.I do think a lot of races are solely put on for making a quick buck rather than the runners interest.

07/12/2012 at 18:26
I can't think of a single race I have done in the last 5 years where someone "has made a quick buck"
08/12/2012 at 13:42
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
I can't think of a single race I have done in the last 5 years where someone "has made a quick buck"

The Great South Run - 25,000 participants, £40 each. That's one meeelion pounds. Somebody's making a lot of money.

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. I don't see why organisers shouldn't charge as much as people are prepared to pay.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
08/12/2012 at 13:56

nevre done that one and never fancied it.....

doing the pudding run  next weekend.i bet they give us a smaller christmas pudding this year and water down the sherry at mile 4...........i expect they are going to pocket all the extra money

08/12/2012 at 17:03
I did say "I've done" Tom.

Brendan Foster has made enough money, did a GNR 15 years back, and never felt the need to hand over wedges of cash to commercial organisers for running races, and if people are fool enough to waste cash like that well ...........
Edited: 08/12/2012 at 17:03
101 to 120 of 149 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.