Is road racing outpricing the ordinary person?

It's getting far too expensive

141 to 151 of 151 messages
14/12/2012 at 12:09

What is the French attitude to H+S and insurance?

14/12/2012 at 19:20

Dont know, but at a guess the same as in this country.

14/12/2012 at 19:36

It's good to mix high profile big races with tiny little small field races I find.

This year I've done the Great South Run, £40 to enter, 17,000 runners, and a tiny little village 5k with 100people. Also currently doing some XC races that are free to club members.

A nice little mix.

Although in fairness I got the GSR free

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 19:37
15/12/2012 at 21:07

I find that I'm entering less races now. Love the running, but finding it hard to pay £20-40 for a run, where I can run for free,

Ok, it's not competing, but it's getting too expensive. Shame.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
16/12/2012 at 11:21

Just noticed on the kitchen calendar there was a 10 kn im Delamere forest last night, I know the kids looked at doing it for a bit of fun, But it was £25 ! (and I know that as it was on forestry commission land they charge a fortune, Before the guy from BugRuns gets going at me), But of all 4 of us had done that it would have been a £100, for a 10k in a forest we run most Sunday mornings..

If I am doing a big city event I expect to have to pay for all the organisation it brings, But £25 for a bimble round a forest..... Yeah I'll vote with my feet everytime

16/12/2012 at 12:53

£25 for a fun run is a bit much. Problem is there are extra costs such as organiser car fuel bills, insurance (very expensive) fees to authority/land owners and sundries such as table hire, computer/tag hire, etc.

If you're a kid wanting to run races and parents can't afford it - it's not fair. We'd do better at the Olypics (even more) if these fees weren't so high...

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
16/12/2012 at 13:03

I use the term kids loosely, He's 27 and married !!!, But £25 each is still a lump

We had a great run for free in the same place this morning !

16/12/2012 at 13:11

I go to Delamere, sometimes. Only live about 3/4 an hour away, and go to Frodsham sometimes. Nice area and surprisingly large and can get very busy.

Thing is, I can't understand £25 for a forest run. No police are needed, so no road closures. Can't be that much to organise, or are race officials lining their own pockets after profits?

17/12/2012 at 21:49
here in north yorkshire there are plenty of friendly fell races at ??6 a go. no medal or tshirt but a fantastic experience. check out the esk valley fell racing site for details.
17/12/2012 at 22:05
killermiles wrote (see)

I go to Delamere, sometimes. Only live about 3/4 an hour away, and go to Frodsham sometimes. Nice area and surprisingly large and can get very busy.

Thing is, I can't understand £25 for a forest run. No police are needed, so no road closures. Can't be that much to organise, or are race officials lining their own pockets after profits?

It's a profit-making event, probably.  They charge what people will pay.  If enough people vote with their feet the price will come down.

26/12/2012 at 08:19

Off for a Boxing Day race shortly. The Devil's Chair Dash. A little over 5k up and down Stiperstones, with free soup after. All for £2. Fell races really are good value.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 151 of 151 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.